Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jerod Mayo vs Patrick Willis

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PonyExpress, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Height
    Mayo 6'1''
    Willis 6'1''

Weight
    Mayo 242
    Willis 242

40yd
    Mayo 4.54
    Willis 4.51

VJ
    Mayo 40.5
    Willis 39

SS
    Mayo 4.29
    Willis 4.37

3C
    Mayo 7.31
    Willis 7.10

Mayo, from NFL draft scout:

"Strong presence in the huddle....Plays with injuries that would sideline most... shows functional strength at the POA, taking on the lineman or fullback with aggression...smart athlete who calls defensive signals...does the extra filmwork to prepare for games and has no problem taking plays from the chalkboard to the playing field"

Hmmmmm......;)

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

No, don't say it! I like Mayo and comparing him to that chase LB of SF's breaks my concentration!

3. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I said it two weeks ago, he is the closest thing right now to Patrick Willis and anything remotely close to Willis is fine with me, as long as we can take him with Carolina's pick or lower.

4. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I don't think it is an unreasonable comparison. The major difference I've seen is the power and aggression of Willis, particularly against the run. Mayo doesn't seem to have the same mean streak and ability to run through walls to get to the ball. He is my first round binky, but as others have noted, I would like my binky in the low teens please...

5. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +339 / 5 / -1

Interesting breakdown. Mayo is another guy who if he happens to be there at 31 will make me re-think my feelings towards losing #31. I have recently been of the mindset that the Pats are going to be just as well off by trading #7 back a few and picking up a 3rd and that the loss of #31 will not be a real issue, but if Mayo, Cason or Groves is taken somewhere between 30-40, I'll probably flip.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  6. mac

mac On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mayock has Mayo in his top ten now. Casserly has the Pats taking Mayo at #7.

7. JoePats

JoePats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Pony, I really like these breakdowns of athletic profiles from prospects of different years.

8. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Comparable Combine numbers, but I'll take Patrick Willis over Mayo without any hesitation. Also, if you paid a little closer attention to some of his weaknesses, you'll see that he's probably not a good fit for a 34 defense, but I do understand the interest, and maybe with some good coaching he could fix some of those issues.

BOR, I'm surprised you even like this guy for the Pats. He's got some of the same problems you tried convincing me that Patrick Willis had during our conversations in 2007. You didn't seem to think he would even be that good in the NFL, and thought he was an absolutely bad fit for the Patriots. I don't know if you remember, but I talked about asking our staff for tape of Willis? After watching that tape I knew he was going to be something special, but for some reason he still had some doubters.

Some of Mayo's weaknesses:
    Needs to improve hand use, takes to long to shed blocks, best when protected (IE: 43 LB), Lower-body strength needs to improve, doesn't get a wide base when anchoring, has some trouble in the phone booth (gets caught up in traffic, and struggles to shed blocks), can get caught out of position, he can be to aggressive at times, will miss some open-field tackles, needs to improve his footwork in coverage, and he can also bite on play fakes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. PonyExpress

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Oh I agree my method of comparison was very flawed, I just thought it was visually interesting.

10. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I didn't seem to think he'd be that good in the NFL? I didn't see him as a good fit for the Pats' 3-4, but I always felt he was the perfect 4-3 MLB. I do recall watching Willis getting blocked by Brian Leonard at the Senior Bowl, which wouldn't be too bad except that Leonard took out two LBs with that block - unimpressive for Willis. Willis was okay scraping downhill against the run, but spent most of his time doing the same thing he did for SF, chasing down ball carriers across the field.

I wasn't watching for Mayo when I watched Tennessee, so I have no eyeball impression to work with.

Here's NFL Draft Scout's profile for both Mayo and Willis:

Mayo
    Willis
    Pretty similar, Willis plays better inside and should, he's a career MLB. Mayo seems to have a clear edge in pass coverage.

Mayo
    Willis
    Again, the descriptions are similar.
    Willis
    So where to they differ? Mayo is a junior who showed improved hand usage in his first year working inside at MLB. Willis was a MLB in high school and college, Mayo is an OLB who was moved inside - he's still learning (and growing) yet based on these write-ups he's already similar to Willis at an earlier point in his career. If I had seen him play I might not want him, but he's the one (not Willis) who NFL Draft Scout wants to pair up inside a 3-4 with David Harris who you and I both liked last year. Mayo gets high marks for intelligence, let him backstop Bru.

11. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +116 / 4 / -0

makes two of us man

12. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Willis ran a 4.38 at the combine.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Pro-Day, he ran 4.51 at the Combine.

14. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Patrick Willis ran a 4.38 and 4.39 back to freakin' back. Give me a break. He was head and shoulders the best LBer in college.

That's not to disparage Mayo, whom I like a lot. The comparison is that both are great, great character guys. I'd love Mayo with the Pats. Immediate starter. Special teams warrior.

15. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +89 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I've seen a lot of Mayo at Tenn. and if you watch the Vol/Florida game you see that once you put a body in front of Mayo, he sticks to the guy like crazy glue.

Now plug in the Ole Miss/LSU game from two years ago and watch Willis eat up everything in his path and destroy the RB, while playing hurt.

They both played in the SEC. That is as close as Mayo ever gets to Willis.

16. PonyExpress

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

17. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +116 / 4 / -0

hopefully they have similar careers eh?

18. jbb9s

jbb9s In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Why wait? Take Mayo at 10.

19. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +290 / 5 / -1

Hopefully not! If Mayo spends his rookie year chasing ball carriers sideline to sideline and racking up 170 tackles down the field our defense is in trouble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.