PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Van Gundy trashes Wells Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Gundy's point that it is ridiculous to claim that this was an independent investigation when Wells has been repeatedly paid by the NFL can not be stressed enough. How can anyone say differently with a straight face?

From a CNN article two years ago regarding the players lawsuit against the NFL, "High profile attorney Ted Wells, who's represented former **** Cheney adviser I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, among others, was observing Tuesday's arguments. Wells is one of the lead trial attorneys who will be representing the NFL should this case go to trial."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/health/nfl-lawsuit/

Agreed completely. You cannot be on the payroll of a party of interest to the investigation, and still be considered independent. The NFL needed to cover its tracks for the mere fact that the first time in the history of their organization they conducted a sting operation on one of their teams. And they botched it. Badly. This whole thing is completely asinine.

Kudos again to Gundy.

I remember Goodell taking a shot at a reporter about Ted Wells being the investigator at the Superbowl press conference. Something along the lines of "Who's going to pay for attorney, you <insert reporter name> ?

Van Gundy's point that it is ridiculous to claim that this was an independent investigation when Wells has been repeatedly paid by the NFL can not be stressed enough. How can anyone say differently with a straight face?

From a CNN article two years ago regarding the players lawsuit against the NFL, "High profile attorney Ted Wells, who's represented former **** Cheney adviser I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, among others, was observing Tuesday's arguments. Wells is one of the lead trial attorneys who will be representing the NFL should this case go to trial."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/health/nfl-lawsuit/

Wells is not an independent investigator. He has been paid millions by the league to make arguments on their behalf.
Goodell has stated over and over that Wells has "impeccable integrity. The guy is a criminal defense attorney! Isn't that an oxymoron? He is paid to lie and mislead on behalf of his client. For that matter does anyone have impeccable integrity? Is it human to have impeccable integrity?

This whole thing is so f'd up for so many reasons. You could write a book on its many flaws.

This whole investigation took place because the Patriots balls were supposedly two psi under pressure. Even Exponent's calculations (which they admit themselves are flawed because they relied on many unreliable data points) state that the balls on average were at worst just 3 tenths of a psi too low. The half time gauges used weren't even in synk within .3 psi. If Goodell and his minions and the idiots in Sports media remembered grade school level science, this would have been dismissed from the start.

I agree; it's a sham. My real concern, as far as potential penalty is concerned, lies almost totally on the reports determination that Brady was unwilling to co-operate fully (ie make available his text messages). I think this is where the league comes down hard on Brady. If they do, it'll be interesting to see how the NFLPA reacts ..........

I remember Goodell taking a shot at a reporter about Ted Wells being the investigator at the Superbowl press conference. Something along the lines of "Who's going to pay for attorney, you <insert reporter name> ?

Rachel Nichols. And this was at a time when Goodell was supposed to be on the hot seat...of course, the Pats controversy changed the topic. Gee, what a coincidence. Showed his true colors with the arrogant response too. The guy is just an awful human.

Rachel Nichols. And this was at a time when Goodell was supposed to be on the hot seat...of course, the Pats controversy changed the topic. Gee, what a coincidence. Showed his true colors with the arrogant response too. The guy is just an awful human.
And a worse administrator...

And a worse administrator...

Such bs. Actually seeing that again and comparing it to the Wells report, it makes me a bit angry. Integrity. I doubt it. That's wht TB and his defense should do. Play that. Then have an independent arbiter read the report.

Hell I'd find whomever is known nationally as an unbiased no nonsense arbiter who would do this pro bono thus negating and financial reasons. Then sit back and watch it explode. Goodell would need to be fired do to lying and contradicting himself.

Goodell has made mountains out of molehills and molehills out of mountains, it's truly astounding that he's the commissioner and makes 44 mill a year
he starts a lot of fires and than isn't very good at putting them out.

Maybe we can get JVG to launch himself at Well's Leg. Good For You JVG! Tell it like it is.

Anybody have the audio for this?

And the argument against that is simply have the two parties agree on an independent investigator! Ugh, the guy is actually that dense, or continually trying to push false logic on everyone on purpose. (Credit for that argument goes to a poster in one of these many deflategate threads)

It's already been done. US District court in Minneapolis. Goodell got dragged before the federal magistrate and eviscerated,negating every sanction he attempted to hit Saints players with.

You're right, it was Rachel Nichols, and it was during that exchange that Goodell showed his true colors as a boss - namely, he visibly let her get under his skin and he responded with sarcasm. Those truly smooth, cool and in control never let that happen in a public forum. He's not qualified nor skilled enough to hold his position. He's emotional, volatile and thin-skinned.

Seems like the talking heads on ESPN are being very careful to avoid a defamation lawsuit, and it makes them look like idiots when they seemingly have to keep preface everything with "more probable than not."

They interviewed JVG on ESPN radio this morning about today's game, and at the end of the segment the host tried to throw him a curveball, saying (paraphrasing): "Jeff knows a lot about basketball, but he also knows a lot about other sports as well. Jeff, if you were commissioner of the NFL what punishment would you give Tom Brady?" Pregnant pause, like the question caught him by surprise, then he emphatically says "nothing! More probable than not?? Give me a break! To me can only mean one thing: We don't know for sure."

Host goes ballistic and Van Gundy re-iterates how Wells investigation was paid for by NFL, and no way can it not be biased in some way--"nature of the beast." Also completely eviscerates the the host ("Lupika" or something like that) for comparing the Brady situation to the Hernandez verdict, "which you know was based only on circumstantial evidence!" JVG: "Wow total apples to oranges--standard there being beyond a reasonable doubt, and here being...I don't even know! Plus, um don't you think the Hernandez situation was um, just a bit more serious than this." lol

Also says how the report supposedly uses science, yet ignores all the science presented by the other side.

It was beautiful and I was hoping he would mention it again during today's Cavs game, but apparently he didn't. My hope is he feels strongly enough about this that he'll keep bringing it up. Maybe on TNT broadcasts (?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe