PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps to IR; revisiting the trade for Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount sucks.

He can't rush the passer at all. 8 games and not one single sack or TFL?

No field goals and his hang time has really sucked. Overall a total bust, another Belichick screw-up as he gave away world class talent for a nobody. Jesus this team sucks.

Re: Re: OT: Jeff Demps to IR

Nothing like a clueless "contributor" bagging on a solid contributor.

Thank god Blount's play is not as hideous as your posting.

Says the poster who relies on name calling and demeaning others to support their position.

You can disagree with my position on Blount, your immature way of conveying that though - totally unnecessary. I'm hardly clueless if I was I'd probably be in here tossing around insults and writing negative things about other posters to feel better about myself, which I am not. I think Blount is a solid depth back, am overjoyed to have him? No! Am I disappointed that Jeff Demps didn't develop into more of a player than Blount? Yes!

I literally hate every single thing you post, mong.

That's good, do you need directions on how to use the ignore function?

Wow, so not only does Ridley have a fumbling problem, he also sucks in the fourth quarter. Yikes!

Blount has fumbled 10 times, 7 have been lost on 496 career carries
Ridley has fumbled 7 times, 4 have been lost on 495 career carries

Who has the fumbling problems?

You realize Ridley has 495 career carries and has fumbled 7 times and lost 4, and Blount has 496 career carries and has fumbled 9 times and lost 6..

So who has the fumbling problem?

All I care about is performance in the 2013 here and now.
Rids keeps dropping the Rock while Emily holds on. Runs well too.

Keven "What the?" Faulk was an early career fumbler but became a very reliable ball carrier.

The concept of SSS (small sample size) seems lost on you.

As well as the concept of situational football.

For example, this:
Behind: 10 carries, 27 yards, 2.7 yards per carry and 0 touchdowns.

How many of those carries were on 2nd or 3rd or even 4th + short situations, where the run is designed to be a dive? Playing from behind, it is likely to assume that many could be in there, and that in a sample size, to start, of 10.

A running game WITH THE LEAD is critical for clock control. This is when you expect the defense to stack up against it (and this has been a major weakness for the Pats for years until now).

For years I've been watching them with a lead throwing on 1st, 2nd and 3rd, basically handing a time-out/45 seconds of clock time to the other team on every incompletion.

A 3.8 average in games within 7 points is very, very solid.

Ridley is the better runner - it's not even close. There are only a handful of backs in the league I'd take over Ridley. He's also been banged up this year, and got his clock cleaned last year in the AFCCG.

All I see from what you've posted is that we have a really solid option behind Ridley, who's carried the ball 70 times with one fumble, which is, again, really solid. Oh, and he returns kicks for us, keeping McCourty from having that duty.

Seriously, your analysis of Blount's value to this team this year would have BB staring at you in a press conference very condescendingly...

OK my analysis has been spot on. Blount has been a solid player for us as a depth back, his numbers are skewed by the fact the majority of his yardage has been gained in the 4th quarter of a decided ball game.

In the opportunity Blount had to start one game this year Blount fumbled at the Bengals 24 in the second quarter.

As far as my disappointment that was for Demps the fact his NFL career makes me happy to have Blount is disappointing in my opinion, the kid had electric speed and my aspirations for him were more than Blount. I'm not unhappy with Blount I'm happy with him in fact, I am disappointed in the Demps.

OK my analysis has been spot on. Blount has been a solid player for us as a depth back, his numbers are skewed by the fact the majority of his yardage has been gained in the 4th quarter of a decided ball game.

In the opportunity Blount had to start one game this year Blount fumbled at the Bengals 24 in the second quarter.

As far as my disappointment that was for Demps the fact his NFL career makes me happy to have Blount is disappointing in my opinion, the kid had electric speed and my aspirations for him were more than Blount. I'm not unhappy with Blount I'm happy with him in fact, I am disappointed in the Demps.

There's little "spot on" in drawing conclusions over 10 carries.

Blount has been much more valuable to the 2013 Patriots than you credit him for. Proof is in the pie: he's getting reps, and on a 7-2 team. The mere fact that the Pats have, and can, feature him in some games bodes well for Ridley come playoff time.

As for Demps, you're a binkie guy - that much is apparent from your posts. All combine numbers and physical potential.

I get that.

Al Davis saw the world that way.

I'm glad BB doesn't see the world that way, however, as I like when my teams are winning.

All I care about is performance in the 2013 here and now.
Rids keeps dropping the Rock while Emily holds on. Runs well too.

Keven "What the?" Faulk was an early career fumbler but became a very reliable ball carrier.

Blount has had one fumble and it happened in a game we lost. We were driving our first good drive against the Bengals in fact and at the 24 of the Bengals Blount fumbled if that never happen we probably would have scored at least a field goal.

Ridley has two fumbles one was returned for a touchdown but we did win both games.

Love the name :)

There's little "spot on" in drawing conclusions over 10 carries.

Blount has been much more valuable to the 2013 Patriots than you credit him for. Proof is in the pie: he's getting reps, and on a 7-2 team. The mere fact that the Pats have, and can, feature him in some games bodes well for Ridley come playoff time.

The conjecture of Blount’s contribution is unknown in my opinion.

Tampa game: Blount gained 56 of his 65 rushing yards on this final drive when the Patriots were leading 23 to 3.

• 7:38 4th NE 1st & 10 at NE29 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 23 yards to the TB48.
• 6:59 4th NE 1st & 10 at TB48 LeGarrette Blount rush to the right for 1 yard to the TB47.
• 6:14 4th NE 1st & 10 at TB38 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 7 yards to the TB31.
• 5:36 4th NE 2nd & 3 at TB31 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 16 yards to the TB15.
• 4:55 4th NE 1st & 10 at TB15 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 2 yards to the TB13.
• 4:11 4th NE 2nd & 8 at TB13 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for no gain to the TB13.
• 3:32 4th NE 3rd & 8 at TB13 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 2 yards to the TB11.
• 3:02 4th NE 4th & 6 at TB11 LeGarrette Blount rush to the right for 5 yards to the TB6.

Atlanta game: Blount gained 47 of his 65 rushing yards on a 4th quarter run while the team was leading, he ran through a hole and was not touched until the defense caught up to him near the goal line

• 14:37 4th NE 1st & 10 at Atl47 NE Patriots LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 47 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

See video: RB Blount, 47-yd, run, TD - NFL Videos

Miami game: Blount gained 42 of his 46 rushing yards in the fourth quarter after the teams 3rd quarter comeback.

• 12:49 4th NE 1st & 10 at NE33 LeGarrette Blount rush to the right for 3 yards to the NE36.
• 12:33 4th NE 1st & 10 at NE41 LeGarrette Blount rush up the middle for 19 yards to the Mia40.
• 12:11 4th NE 1st & 10 at Mia40LeGarrette Blount rush to the right for 7 yards to the Mia33.
• 9:54 4th NE 1st & 10 at Mia26LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 3 yards to the Mia23.
• 8:41 4th NE 1st & 10 at Mia13LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 7 yards to the Mia6.
• 8:20 4th NE 2nd & 3 at Mia6 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 5 yards to the Mia1.
• 7:56 4th NE 1st & 1 at Mia1 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for a loss of 2 yards to the Mia3.

Pittsburg game: Blount runs for 40 his 47 yards in the 4th quarter after we had a commanding lead.

• 6:12 4th NE 1st & 10 at NE7 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 12 yards to the NE19.
• 3:19 4th NE 1st & 10 at Pit28 LeGarrette Blount rush to the left for 23 yards to the Pit5.
• 2:49 4th NE 1st & 5 at Pit5 NE Patriots LeGarrette Blount rush up the middle for 5 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

I have highlighted 19 carries this season above which account for 185 yards and 2 touchdowns, Blount’s other 51 carries this season went for 127 yards, 0 touchdowns and 1 fumble; that is 2.49 yards per carry. So the question is do you think those 19 carries I have highlighted were yards that Ridley or Bolden wouldn’t have been able to gain if they were in his place? It is causation vs. correlation and in my opinion Blount is not the cause of these yards, his gaining the yards in correlates with the circumstance of the game. If you see things differently that is fine, you see Blount as the player he is 27% of the time he carries, I personally see him closer to being the player he is the other 73% of the time he carries the football.

As for Demps, you're a binkie guy - that much is apparent from your posts. All combine numbers and physical potential.

I am not always a binkie guy, most of the things I dislike about Blount I form through an eye test, I don’t like the way he runs the football, he is too big of a guy and lacks the speed to dance with the football, he is tentative hitting the hole, and in my opinion his runs result in a loss or no gain far too often for a 250 pound running back.

The other issue I have with Blount is his fumbles, in my opinion he cost us a touchdown against the Bengals in a game that we lost 13-6, had we scored on that drive toward the end of the 2nd quarter instead of him fumbling at the 24 yard line of the Bengals things would have been totally different, people talk so much about Ridley’s fumble issues but Blount actually has 10 career fumbles on 496 carries compared to Ridley’s 7 career fumbles on 495 carries.

I'm glad BB doesn't see the world that way, however, as I like when my teams are winning.

I have to be completely honest in my opinion this team being 7-2 has nothing to do with what Blount has done, in fact there is a chance we could be 8-1 if not for his fumble against Cincinnati.

That’s aside as I said before I am not unhappy with Blount as a member of the 53 man roster I think he is a good depth player who can contribute on offense and special teams. He is not a key cog in this team being 7-2 and I believe any back could have given us what he has actually I think Ridley, Vereen or Bolden would have done more with those opportunities.

Is there a 4th string RB anywhere in the league who is having a better season?

Blount is 36th in the NFL in carries this season; he has started 3 games and has been on the field for 22% of the team’s offensive snaps, that is not a 4th string running back. Ridley has been on the field for 35% and if you take out the last game which was the first time he saw the majority of the reps Ridley has only been on the field 31% of the time.

Blount would be a great 4th string RB and when he is being treated like one I will be very pleased.

Q1: 18 carries, 50 rushing yards, 2.8 average, 0 touchdowns
Q2: 13 carries, 33 rushing yards, 2.5 average, 0 touchdowns, 1 fumble
Q3: 9 carries, 27 rushing yards, 3.0 average, 0 touchdowns
Q4: 30 carries, 202 rushing yards, 6.7 average, 2 touchdowns

I'm usually not a proponent of nitpicking stats but I agree with Brady6 on this one. Consider that Blount's best games have come against ATL, TB, and PIT. The only one remotely close when he did his damage was ATL and for anyone who watched that game, we clearly outclassed them until a few late fluky plays giving them a last gasp and all of our backs were having success on the ground as we dominated the trenches. In the close games, Blount has not impressed aside from a couple good runs against Miami. As the #'s posted above pointed out, most of his most relevant work has not been good, and he had a crucial fumble against the Bengals when our OL was opening up holes for him early on.

Overall, sure you can do alot worse at RB4 but that doesn't mean you can't expect better from your depth. I'd love to be proven wrong and see him actually close out a tight game but I still would much much rather have Ridley/Blount carrying the ball in relevant snaps. I'm not going to blast him for his returns because it's really on the coaching staff for not having another option that can actually provide a threat, and he has made the most of his returns at least while protecting the ball.

Blount has been a solid addition. I'll eat a little crow on that one. But it will be interesting to see how the hand offs are portioned w/Vereen back. I'd prefer to see a lot more of Vereen but I wonder if that means Blount will have a lesser presence? As for Bolden, who knows.

Ridley/Blount/Vereen is a great combination. All three are good backs. I'm excited and hoping that they can all avoid injuries.

Blount has been a solid addition. I'll eat a little crow on that one. But it will be interesting to see how the hand offs are portioned w/Vereen back. I'd prefer to see a lot more of Vereen but I wonder if that means Blount will have a lesser presence? As for Bolden, who knows.

Ridley/Blount/Vereen is a great combination. All three are good backs. I'm excited and hoping that they can all avoid injuries.

I think Brandon Bolden is a much better and complete running back than Blount.

Runner: 38 carries, 205 rushing yards, 5.4 average, 2 touchdowns.
Receiver: 23 targets, 17 receptions, 107 receiving yards.

This is what I would like to see:

1A. Ridley
1B. Vereen
2. Bolden
3. Blount
4. Washington

This is not so much a slight on Blount as it is thinking highly of Bolden who in my opinion has improved every aspect of his game in year 2 as a pro and could have #1 back upside.

Blount is 36th in the NFL in carries this season; he has started 3 games and has been on the field for 22% of the team’s offensive snaps, that is not a 4th string running back. Ridley has been on the field for 35% and if you take out the last game which was the first time he saw the majority of the reps Ridley has only been on the field 31% of the time.

Blount would be a great 4th string RB and when he is being treated like one I will be very pleased.

Blount has been pressed into service because of injuries to other players, and he's often used late because he's a banger and defenses are tired. you can make believe that he's in the mix at starter but it's pure fiction and everyone knows that as well. Ridley is the starter, Vereen can start if needed or the defense is a good fit and is the third down back, Bolden is 3rd on the depth chart and Blount fourth. If you want to play games and pretend that Chris Jones starts over Vince Wilfork you are welcome to do that as well, it would be every bit as meaningless as this debate.

Have fun looking for ways to find fault with the last guys on the bench, if pretending they are supposed to be all pro's floats your boat then by all means go for it, just don't be surprised or offended when you are called out on it, which is usually the end result.

Blount has been pressed into service because of injuries to other players, and he's often used late because he's a banger and defenses are tired. you can make believe that he's in the mix at starter but it's pure fiction and everyone knows that as well. Ridley is the starter, Vereen can start if needed or the defense is a good fit and is the third down back, Bolden is 3rd on the depth chart and Blount fourth. If you want to play games and pretend that Chris Jones starts over Vince Wilfork you are welcome to do that as well, it would be every bit as meaningless as this debate.

Have fun looking for ways to find fault with the last guys on the bench, if pretending they are supposed to be all pro's floats your boat then by all means go for it, just don't be surprised or offended when you are called out on it, which is usually the end result.

Blount has started 3 games this season, Ridley missed only 1 game due to injury and that was in Cincinnati. Bolden was however healthy and played in that game, why would the 4th string RB as you labeled him be starting 3 games? On top of that he also had more carries than Stevan Ridley in weeks 3 and 4.

http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/gamebooks/2013/20131027_NE_Gamebook.pdf
http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/gamebooks/2013/20131013_NE_Gamebook.pdf
http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/gamebooks/2013/20131006_CIN_Gamebook.pdf

As far as Bolden being higher on the depth chart than Blount that really highlights how far off your post is from fact. Bolden is the backup to Vereen and he is seeing snaps on 3rd down and on passing situations. Bolden missed the first games of the season with a knee injury then this is his carries in a game compared to Blount.

Bolden| Blount
3|14
6|9
5|12
5|7
8|1
8|11
3|5

Clearly you make an effort to disagree with everything I post which is fine, I cannot sit here and say I understand why you do that but what I can say that you cannot just make stuff up wrap a bold comment or two into it and post it as it being the case because you saying Blount is a 4th string RB on this team is like me saying Brady is the backup QB it makes no sense at all, what makes even less sense is you comparing Chris Jones replacing Wilfork and Kelly who both have been lost for the season to Blount receiving carries because Ridley missed 1 game with a knee sprain. Blount is the backup RB to Ridley and he has received starting opportunities this season, Shane Vereen is the 3rd down running back on this team and when he was injured his backup Brandon Bolden began seeing his snaps.

Do you notice the difference between my posts and your posts? I provide you with data, links and places to reference information, you respond with opinion formatted as fact, the reason is what I post is not about you it is about the topic of discussion, when you stop making your posts about your despair for me they will make a lot more sense and probably be a lot more factual.

I always thought that game where Ridley was seldom used was because the team was giving him more rest for his knee. He seems to have taken more snaps the past few games.

Demps and a 7th rounder for Blount has been a good trade. He has experience which was crucial for that game where Ridley was out and Bolden was playing with a bad knee and tweaked it during the game a little. It was huge having Blount around. Demps couldn't do that. He's not a great back but he's good depth and for a 7th round that's pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes