PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps to IR; revisiting the trade for Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highlighted the games that Blount scored the majority of his yardage in and they were against the Bucs, Atlanta, Miami and Pittsburg, and Atlanta and we were up by at least 10 points at the time that Blount gained the majority of the yards. Honestly if you don’t realize that most of his yardage comes in the final 5 minutes of the game against defeated teams you clearly are not watching the full game, because if you watched any of the tape you would see that when he is gaining his yardage it is when the outcome is pretty much determined.

I think having a veteran backup RB for cheap is a luxury if you can find one.

Lol, some of you people are amazing. How many years did we have running backs that we hoped would get 4 yds per carry, and here we have a guy averaging 4.5 yards a carry, and some of you are ripping him. Oh yes, and I absolutely love the brilliant argument that he sucks because he waits until the fourth quarter to average 6.3 ypc and has two touchdowns then. Wow, fcking amazing.

No need to get all angry and start cursing Moose…

Do you really think that Blount runs for yardage when he is facing stiff competition because he is not, he is gain yardage in the last 4-5 minutes of ball games that are decided. That is not impressive to me at all.

With Lead: 45 carries, 228 yards, 5.1 yards per carry and 2 touchdowns.
Tie Game: 15 carries, 57 yards, 3.8 yards per carry and 0 touchdowns.
Behind: 10 carries, 27 yards, 2.7 yards per carry and 0 touchdowns.

Margin 0-7: 40 carries, 154 yards, 3.8 yards per carry and 1 touchdown
Margin 15+: 19 carries, 112 yards, 5.9 yards per carry and 1 touchdown
Margin 8-14: 11 carries, 46 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 0 touchdowns

Those situational stats tell me that he is gaining garbage yards, and when I watch the game and see him running on an injured and defeated Tampa defensive line I can clearly see that he is gaining garbage yards. I have no issue with Blount being on the roster he adds some much needed depth, I do not think he should be getting carries over Ridley ever though. As far as this goes if you really truly believe Blount is gaining yards against the same level of competition as Ridley is earlier in the game you’re either not watching the games or you’re a 24 pack deep before the start of the 4th.

Re: Re: OT: Jeff Demps to IR

I think having a veteran backup RB for cheap is a luxury if you can find one.

Icy I have no problem with Blount as being on the 53 I think it was a solid addition to the team. My only issue is his receiving carries I would prefer see go to Ridley and I can't stand him as a kick returner.

Pretty solid stats for a backup. Not every RB can run for 5 yrs/carry.

Bill got something for a player he was going to cut !!

Icy I have no problem with Blount as being on the 53 I think it was a solid addition to the team. My only issue is his receiving carries I would prefer see go to Ridley and I can't stand him as a kick returner.

We haven't had a consistent kick returner since kevin Faulk ... where's Ellis Hobbs - bring him back off his Lazy Boy?

Bloundt reminds me a little of Antowain Smith in terms of production.

He won't kill you with speed and he won't be one you would likely see as MVP of any game,but he gives you 100% effort and rarely fumbles and helps with kickoff returns.

Looks like another trade where Belichick rapes a gaping hole into the trade partner.

Very much like Smith with his ability to punish tired defenses. It is a bit frustrating he doesn't have much burst in short yardage, but he's more than a solid backup and capable of ripping off long runs.

It is a bit frustrating he doesn't have much burst in short yardage, but he's more than a solid backup and capable of ripping off long runs.

Sign the beast.

Oh, wait wrong thread. Glad we have him on our team.

Do you really think that Blount runs for yardage when he is facing stiff competition because he is not, he is gain yardage in the last 4-5 minutes of ball games that are decided. That is not impressive to me at all.

Those situational stats tell me that he is gaining garbage yards, and when I watch the game and see him running on an injured and defeated Tampa defensive line I can clearly see that he is gaining garbage yards. I have no issue with Blount being on the roster he adds some much needed depth, I do not think he should be getting carries over Ridley ever though. As far as this goes if you really truly believe Blount is gaining yards against the same level of competition as Ridley is earlier in the game you’re either not watching the games or you’re a 24 pack deep before the start of the 4th.

Great numbers, could you post the same for Ridley so we can compare them?

1. The last couple of years the Patriots have had a difficult time putting teams down for good. There have been a number of games where they got a big lead and ended up in a dog fight, which they usually won, but still, it ended up being much closer than it should have been. This year, Blount has come in and destroyed teams late in the game, I don't really see how this is a bad thing.

2. You show he is averaging 3.8 ypc in close games, then try and spin that as if it is a bad thing, but as an example, Curtis Martin averaged 4.0 ypc over his entire hall of fame career.

3. You seem to be upset that he takes carries away from Ridley. I personally am happy Ridley can take a break during the game, especially during games the Pats are up by a bunch. Every touch is just a little more tread off those tires, which is why the Patriots have changed to a running back by committee.

4. Kick returns, has nothing to do with Blount, he is simply doing what the coaching staff wants him to do, he seems to almost always get the ball past the 20 when he takes it out, which is ok I guess. I would much rather have him returning them than McCourty or some other player we can't risk losing for the season.

5. Stronger as the game wears on is usually considered a good thing, not a bad thing.

Great numbers, could you post the same for Ridley so we can compare them?

Ridley’s numbers.

Q1: 23 attempts; 130 rushing yards; 5.7 average; 0 touchdowns
Q2: 39 attempts; 157 rushing yards; 4.0 average; 4 touchdowns
Q3: 31 attempts; 153 rushing yards; 4.9 average; 0 touchdowns
Q4: 25 attempts; 74 rushing yards; 3.0 average; 2 touchdowns

Ahead: 66 attempts; 255 rushing yards; 3.9 average; 5 touchdowns
Behind: 26 attempts; 147 rushing yards; 5.7 average; 1 touchdown
Tied: 26 attempts; 112 rushing yards; 4.3 average; 0 touchdowns

Wow, so not only does Ridley have a fumbling problem, he also sucks in the fourth quarter. Yikes!

Any player that makes you happy to have Blount = Disappointing :bricks:

Nothing like a clueless "contributor" bagging on a solid contributor.

Thank god Blount's play is not as hideous as your posting.

I'm not buying this at all. You might be able to make a case for throwing for garbage when there's 5 minutes left and up by 3 scores because defenses are playing run, because offenses are killing the clock to win, but I still wouldn't call it garbage time because its an obvious running situation. True garbage time is when your down by 2 or 3 scores with 5 minutes left the defense is playing deep to protect a quick score so short passes and runs are easier.

Blount is doing his best running at exactly the time when they are in obvious running situations. Everyone knows they are trying to get a first down on the ground to kill the clock and win. Everyone knows it, and they can't stop it.

Re: Re: OT: Jeff Demps to IR

I'm not buying this at all. You might be able to make a case for throwing for garbage when there's 5 minutes left and up by 3 scores because defenses are playing run, because offenses are killing the clock to win, but I still wouldn't call it garbage time because its an obvious running situation. True garbage time is when your down by 2 or 3 scores with 5 minutes left the defense is playing deep to protect a quick score so short passes and runs are easier.

Blount is doing his best running at exactly the time when they are in obvious running situations. Everyone knows they are trying to get a first down on the ground to kill the clock and win. Everyone knows it, and they can't stop it.

You should go back and watch the end of the Tampa, Miami and Pittsburgh games if you did that you will see that you're mistaken with your belief.

I want to reiterate that I think the trade of Demps for Blount was a good deal, it would have been better if we didn't give up the 7th round pick as well because in my opinion that pick would have been used to draft Cooper out of Rutgers but that's all hindsight. Overall as I said it was a good deal, Blount is a very good 3rd or 4th RB, all I am saying is his stats are skewed and therefore misleading, he has not been nearly as effective when it matters, he has done a great job running out the clock and getting us to the end of the game. He can do that every week I'd have no issue, my issue is with him carrying the ball over Ridley earlier in games when the more talented Ridley has better results against a more competitive defense.

The concept of SSS (small sample size) seems lost on you.

As well as the concept of situational football.

For example, this:

How many of those carries were on 2nd or 3rd or even 4th + short situations, where the run is designed to be a dive? Playing from behind, it is likely to assume that many could be in there, and that in a sample size, to start, of 10.

A running game WITH THE LEAD is critical for clock control. This is when you expect the defense to stack up against it (and this has been a major weakness for the Pats for years until now).

For years I've been watching them with a lead throwing on 1st, 2nd and 3rd, basically handing a time-out/45 seconds of clock time to the other team on every incompletion.

A 3.8 average in games within 7 points is very, very solid.

Ridley is the better runner - it's not even close. There are only a handful of backs in the league I'd take over Ridley. He's also been banged up this year, and got his clock cleaned last year in the AFCCG.

All I see from what you've posted is that we have a really solid option behind Ridley, who's carried the ball 70 times with one fumble, which is, again, really solid. Oh, and he returns kicks for us, keeping McCourty from having that duty.

Seriously, your analysis of Blount's value to this team this year would have BB staring at you in a press conference very condescendingly...

Is there a 4th string RB anywhere in the league who is having a better season?

in my opinion that pick would have been used to draft Cooper out of Rutgers but that's all hindsight.

I'm not at all sure they would have. Remember that the Pats already had two 7s before SF took Cooper.

I'll say this: if they can keep him for ~$1M/yr or so, I'm all for it.

Blount sucks.

He can't rush the passer at all. 8 games and not one single sack or TFL?

Any player that makes you happy to have Blount = Disappointing :bricks:

I literally hate every single thing you post, mong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes