PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaws Needs To Go Back To Math Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In an otherwise well done synopsis of Brady this season, Jaworski puts this out:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown07

"To help further protect him, the coaching staff has him employing the shotgun much more than he has in the past. So far this season, he has been in the shotgun 66 percent of the time, and he's been wildly successful when not under center. He's 42-of-58 for 457 yards, with five touchdowns and just one interception."

Anyone see what's wrong with his point?

in all fairness, i am sure he has a guy doing the research and calc for all his stats...that guy probably f'd up.

in all fairness, i am sure he has a guy doing the research and calc for all his stats...that guy probably f'd up.

Oh no, the stat is probably 100% correct - - it's the interpretation of that stat by Jaworski that renders his point ridiculous.

Anyone see it yet?

In an otherwise well done synopsis of Brady this season, Jaworski puts this out:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown07

"To help further protect him, the coaching staff has him employing the shotgun much more than he has in the past. So far this season, he has been in the shotgun 66 percent of the time, and he's been wildly successful when not under center. He's 42-of-58 for 457 yards, with five touchdowns and just one interception."

Anyone see what's wrong with his point?

It means he's completing 93.3% of his passes from under center.

Oh no, the stat is probably 100% correct - - it's the interpretation of that stat by Jaworski that renders his point ridiculous.

Anyone see it yet?

I'm guessing it's the fact that he's been even more wildly successful when he's under center?

Let's see:

Total: 70 for 88 [79.5%], 887 yards [10.08 YPA], 10 TDs, 1 INT
Subtract shotgun stats: 42 for 58 [72.4%], 457 yards [7.88 YPA], 5 TDs, 1 INT
and that leaves . . .
Under-center stats: 28 for 30 [93.3%], 430 yards [14.33 YPA], 5 TDs, 0 INT

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's the fact that he's been even more wildly successful when he's under center?

Let's see:

Total: 70 for 88 [79.5%], 887 yards [10.08 YPA], 10 TDs, 1 INT
Subtract shotgun stats: 42 for 58 [72.4%], 457 yards [7.88 YPA], 5 TDs, 1 INT
and that leaves . . .
Under-center stats: 28 for 30 [93.3%], 410 yards [13.67 YPA], 5 TDs, 0 INT

Excellent!

Almost 100%.

Actually, the NFL has Brady at 887 total yeards, so really under center his line is:

28 for 30 (93.3)
5 TD's 0 INT

but also

430 yards
15.36 YPA

So why is Jaws saying the great Brady numbers are due to his going more shotgun?????????

Excellent!

Almost 100%.

Actually, the NFL has Brady at 887 total yeards, so really under center his line is:

28 for 30 (93.3)
5 TD's 0 INT

but also

430 yards
15.36 YPA

So why is Jaws saying the great Brady numbers are due to his going more shotgun?????????

I had the numbers right, just mucked up the math. :( On the flip-side, at least I calculated YPA, not Yds/completion. :)

Last edited:
GUYS,

He is not saying Brady is BETTER in shotgun.

He is saying he is better PROTECTED and has done well.

Man, who cares what he's saying? L:eek::eek:k at those numbers!

I think another important factor to this discussion is how many of the three sacks have come under center, and how many have come out of the shotgun. Pressures, quarterback hurries, etc.

I had the numbers right, just mucked up the math. :( On the flip-side, at least I calculated YPA, not Yds/completion. :)

Oooops, yup! Extra homework this weekend for the Shmess! :D

I think this is an example of why there is a niche for someone like Easterbrook. I mean at least he can put a couple sentences together and do simple statistical analysis.

I think this is an example of why there is a niche for someone like Easterbrook. I mean at least he can put a couple sentences together and do simple statistical analysis.
Easterbrook is waaaay too busy looking for the second cameraman on the grassy knoll to bother with this kind of stuff.

I think another important factor to this discussion is how many of the three sacks have come under center.

I can GUARANTEE it's not more than 2. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes