PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt, by Dan Le Batard

Status
Not open for further replies.
CTE didn't kill Seau. Depression killed him. Drinking, unemployment and undisclosed pain from previous injuries and a desire to escape from it all is what killed him, unfortunately.

It's true that we don't know all the details, but you're just speculating here. What we DO know is that CTE results in progressive brain damage from glutamate toxicity. Among other changes, you suffer personality changes that can make you interpret situations in extremes. Glutamate toxicity also causes severe anxiety. You have a hard time with executive function, making things like planning, organizing, and decision-making very difficult. Even if you're not depressed, your baseline stress can be relentless. Major life challenges that are difficult for "normal" people to get through can push you over the edge.

There isn't a whole lot of empathy or sympathy. You appear to function pretty normally, so people assume your problem is purely psychological, which typically comes with less concern. People think you can just take a pill, think positively, and "pull yourself together".

In cases of people like Seau's, they also have to deal with all the people out there who dismiss the pain because it was Seau's choice to play and he made a lot of money. His choice and his money don't make him any less human.

One of the scariest articles I've read yet. And not a single word about concussions or the state of Taylor's brain. It was scary as hell WITHOUT THAT.

I don't know, dude. I just don't. And he says he'd do it all again. The game is an addiction.

Sure gives context for how the concussion issue could be neglected for so long.

Are people surprised by these stories? What these players do and go through is not natural and would easily kill regular people. It is extremely brutal and nothing other than pain and injuries, short and long term, can result from them. So imagine doing this week in and week one for years?

I remember a few years ago when I first started watching football, I heard that players' life expectancy was around 57. That alone tells you how violent this sport is and its effects. In this day and age, people don't die in their 50s naturally.

Is this sad and painful? Yes. Is making rules to protect the game good? Yes. But let's not kid ourselves? How many people would walk away from watching football to avoid these players injuries and pain?

The most telling thing about this article? Taylor's last sentence. The fact is players, no matter how much pain they need to endure, no matter how much data they hear about the side effects of what they do, they will still play and we will still watch.

Study: NFL players living longer than general population - CBSSports.com

The main conclusion of the NIOSH study, which it says was commissioned by the union, is that players in the study had a much lower rate of death overall compared to men in the general population. This means, on average, NFL players are actually living longer than men in the general population which contradicts a popular notion that former NFL players live into their mid-50s.

well...there's an "ooops" for the sanctimonious know-it-alls- to ponder.

I have a B.S, from B.U. in engineering...I worked for different concerns until I retired when I was 58. I've made some prudent investments in real estate and I'm comfortable. Over the course of my work I had a number of six figure years as well as mid and high five figures.

That being said,my entire life's earnings to this point is about 1/50th of what Jason Taylor has made in his career. If I had a problem making everyday decisions, I, MYSELF, would hire someone to take care of these necessities. However, let's not even begin to use THAT to punch holes in this "tragic" story.

"Census 2000 counted 49.7 million people with some type of long lasting condition or disability. They represented 19.3 percent of the 257.2 million people who were aged 5 and older in the civilian non-institutionalized population -- or nearly one person in five..."

that figure has risen with the aging of the baby boomers. Jason Taylor is in pain?...uh....well....there's 99.999% of the people who are in pain that have never and will never have the funds to address THEIR disabilities in the fashion that Jason Taylor can.

You play football and play to get into the NFL, YOU KNOW the risks.You want my tears after it's over, sorry....I already gave in the form of supporting your league and your salary as a fan.Instead of playing "Undercover Mongoloid Commissioner" and running around trying to create straw man controversies, perhaps Doltdell can sit down with the owners and establish protocols for, and treatments of these players post game problems.

Leave ME out of it.

Football players know the bad side as do soldiers.

It comes with the territory.

And no, I don't equate football to a war.

Every job has it's dangers.

Last edited:
OT Jason Taylors Pain Shows NFL's World Of Hurt

Amazing what NFL players will do to make sure they are on the field on Sunday's.

As America’s most popular sport encounters a liability problem … as gladiator Junior Seau kills himself with a shotgun blast to the chest and leaves his damaged brain to study … as awareness and penalties increase around an NFL commissioner confronting the oxymoronic task of making a violent game safe … and as the rules change but the culture really doesn’t … we think we know this forever-growing monster we are cheering on Sundays. But we don’t. We have no earthly idea.

Read more here: Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt - Dan Le Batard - MiamiHerald.com

Last edited:
Re: OT Jason Taylors Pain Shows NFL's World Of Hurt

That Taylor suffered routine pain and complications off the field doesn't surprise me; The human body wasn't meant to absorb the punishment these guys do. What surprised me was the degree he suffered and still played. Seriously, a concealed catheter? So close to having a leg amputated? Good God.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes