PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jarvis Green - The $5.4M Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a question between extending Green, losing Seymore, and gaining Pepper vs. extending Seymore and no Pepper, I'll take the former.

Warren - Wilfork - Green
Peppers - Guyton - Mayo - Thomas

I'd take that next year, though we'll have to see on Guyton.

Last edited:
Also, a contract is a two-way street. If you think that Jarvis' 2009 cap number is out of whack, you are in effect criticizing the Patriots front office for agreeing to such a deal.

Or perhaps the Patriots were well aware of how the deal would turn out and in which year, and when they would have to revisit the contract to either rework it or cut the player involved.

Any estimates on Green's future have to be tempered with the fact that he played injured most of last year, lowering his stats significantly. IMO, if he and Vrabel weren't both hampered by injury last season, we'd be looking at a lot different off-season this year, as they previously been responsible for a great deal of the D's QB pressures. Wright, too, was hampered for the first part of the year. He did fill in admirably late in the season for Wilfork and gave Warner his worst day at the office in a long time.

Green and Wright both are secondary players on the extension front, however. Wilfork and Mankins are the 2 deals that have to be done before any other. After that, we can worry about Peppers, or resigning these guys.

Wilfork is of course first and teh deal will get done, BECAUSE both he and the team want it to happen.

I don't see the same willingness expressed by Mankins, or by Seymour or even by Gostkowski.

The question is, is there any way Seymour becomes trade bait THIS offseason and is replaced (at least on paper) by Green?

I'm not rooting for it, just wondering if the idea has any merit.

I really, really doubt it. Seymour's a hell of a player, and, the more teams shift to the 3-4, the harder it will be to find a replacement.

Wilfork is of course first and teh deal will get done, BECAUSE both he and the team want it to happen.

I don't see the same willingness expressed by Mankins, or by Seymour or even by Gostkowski.

I'm hopeful for Mankins but have always felt Seymour was handling his position "professionally" ever since the death of his father. Always predicted, because of his talent, his left knee would be a target(re;Mawhe), and a 2-gap scheme was not to his advantage. BB will have to give him something more than money to keep him.

Also, a contract is a two-way street. If you think that Jarvis' 2009 cap number is out of whack, you are in effect criticizing the Patriots front office for agreeing to such a deal.

Oh god! NOT THAT! What will their poor front office do if we CRITICIZE them?? Lighten up Miguel, if it werent for criticizm this site wouldnt exist,lol.

While UBER valuable, because of his size(and the history of injury at the position) Wilfork will be done close to last minute if I had to guess. And the value of all pro guards will be lost on this team, its the one offensive position I think they go cheap on. We will find out soon enough if the Vrabel trade was "legit", Green's number is too high for a reserve and is more detrimental than Vrabel's.

I expect Wilfork to be extended before the draft.

I expect Wilfork to be extended before the draft.

You don't know what else you can do until Big Vince is on board. He's that important to this scheme.

Every thread is a seymour bash who had the same sack total as in 2003 8 and
and put his best career solo tackler and asst numbers....why .seymour had a career year in 08.

also you look at a contract as a whole not in bits and pieces its not a 1 yr deal to ananlysis.

Not at all sure what the first phrase means.
But you do not look at a contract as a whole. You look at the value going forward.

Consider Ty Law. Decent contract, on average, but not the final year.
Talk to Marvin Harrison.
Call up Fred Taylor.
How about old friend Lawyer Milloy. Or Rosevelt Colvin.
Maybe even Mike Vrabel.

In the salary-capped NFL, when you can pick up a player through free agency that offers better performance for a lesser cap hit, that's often what you do.

According to Miguel, there is a $2.9mm cap hit if Green is released.
His replacement savings is $2.1mm. Can you get a replacement DL to play better for $2.1mm? Probably not. He is more valuable than a $2.1mm replacement-level player.

Jarvis Green is not currently worth $5mm.
He was not effective last year as a run stopper.
He was not effective last year as a pass rusher.
Based on 2008, he is the middle reliever of the defensive line.

He has played better in the past, and we have to hope he can improve again in 2009.
But, given his replacement value of $2.1mm, it is probably economic to keep him.

i wonder if Jarvis will be playing some linebacker this year?

If the Pats can cut him, they should cut him. That is too high of a price tag for someone that is invisible. Green and McGinest used to be one of those guys that would make that clutch play or timely stop on third down. I didn't even know he played this year.

It is obvious that Jarvis is not worth the full 5.4 million. The fact is, the cap penalty, plus signing a new player to replace him is not a good economic decision.

We are in a position where we need to keep him. He isn't a great pass rusher or run-stuffer, but he is good enough to play both in the 3-4.

Good grief, I knew I should have stayed out of this thread...Kudos to jczxohn1 for staying with the course of sanity in an offseason thread.

If the Pats can cut him, they should cut him. That is too high of a price tag for someone that is invisible. Green and McGinest used to be one of those guys that would make that clutch play or timely stop on third down. I didn't even know he played this year.
You are correct, his cap # is too high; but did you read Urgent's comment two posts above yours?

Who will you replace him with for $2.1, that would be an improvement?

seymour , green or 3rd option ? 15 mil in cap space..contracts up end of season. guess it depends on what seymour would want. although reiss thinks he will be gone at end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back