PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Laurinaitis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what a players "trunk" is?

Trunk, well let me just assume that you mean his upper torso, shoulders thru waste. Yes, he's leaner than AJ Hawk, but that doesn't mean he can't shed blocks. His body frame is a blue print of Brian Urlacher and his motor his a blue print of Urlacher. This kid wants to be great. He has the fire in his belly. You watch the championship game, we all will, and come back and give me your analysis.

Your understanding of what it means for a LB to be stout?

Stout, ......... strong, immovable, holds the point of contact......I think I know what "stout" means, what's your point?

And finally, have you attended any college classes at Ohio State, or root for them as a fan?

No I haven't attended classes at OSU. Yes OSU is my favorite college football team and I watch all their games, but what does that have anything to do with how I feel James Laurinaitus will fit like a glove into our 3-4 defefense?

0b1a96d8-a0ac-464f-bf3b-153cabb80a62_thumbnail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, we're resorting to using Madden 08 as a scouting tool?

Interesting.

not so much to scout
I'm just a die hard pats fans, and playing the 08 season, and going through the 08 draft multiple times is fun and informative.

Just so you guys know, colleges now employ madden programmers to install their game plan verses the opponent's play book and the players play as themselves using their plan of attack against the opposition.

So I'm not the only person to make scouting inferences from video games.

I always watch a lot of Big 10 football and I have to agree with rookBoston on this one.

JL is a very good LB. However, most of his big plays come in space when he is either in coverage or unblocked. He is a very above average cover LB with a good hands, a nose for the football, and excellent speed. Nonetheless, despite what Brent Musburger would have you believe (basically, that he is Butkus reincarnated), he still has some gaping holes.

RooKBoston is spot on. I've always noticed (I've watched him the last two years) that he has trouble when the o-line gets up on him. BY no means does he suck, he's just rather ordinary when guards and centers get their mitts on him. I've seen him taken out of games that way. This is not something that cant be overcome but it is something that will take him time to correct and lessen his initial impact in a 3-4. The Urlacher comparison is still pretty good but remember that Urlacher plays in a 4-3 (like JL does now) and also struggled when Tommie Harris and his best linemen went out and linemen mstarted getting on him. For a 3-4 you need an ILB more like David Harris (*sigh*) who is a run plugging blue collar guy who sheds blocks.

I actually think, Gholston might turn out to be the better NFL player in a 3-4 if he has a good work ethic (which we have no idea if he does) and is willing to work is @ss off to get better in coverage and run support. Dude reminds me of Ware.

It's been reported that Gholston has been body building since a very early age...
so at least he's got the gym rat mentality
and you can tell simply by looking at this physique

Gholstons physique says on thing to me---STEROIDS

I always watch a lot of Big 10 football and I have to agree with rookBoston on this one.

JL is a very good LB. However, most of his big plays come in space when he is either in coverage or unblocked. He is a very above average cover LB with a good hands, a nose for the football, and excellent speed. Nonetheless, despite what Brent Musburger would have you believe (basically, that he is Butkus reincarnated), he still has some gaping holes.

RooKBoston is spot on. I've always noticed (I've watched him the last two years) that he has trouble when the o-line gets up on him. BY no means does he suck, he's just rather ordinary when guards and centers get their mitts on him. I've seen him taken out of games that way. This is not something that cant be overcome but it is something that will take him time to correct and lessen his initial impact in a 3-4. The Urlacher comparison is still pretty good but remember that Urlacher plays in a 4-3 (like JL does now) and also struggled when Tommie Harris and his best linemen went out and linemen mstarted getting on him. For a 3-4 you need an ILB more like David Harris (*sigh*) who is a run plugging blue collar guy who sheds blocks.

I actually think, Gholston might turn out to be the better NFL player in a 3-4 if he has a good work ethic (which we have no idea if he does) and is willing to work is @ss off to get better in coverage and run support. Dude reminds me of Ware.

Look, that was the knock on him last year, he's improved dramatically compared to where he was. As a coach and GM, I'm not just going to study game tape from this past year, you look at how he's improved over 2 years in both areas (playing in traffic and dropping back into coverage). Any GM will see that this kid has worked his tail off to improve in both of these areas and has. His work ethic and motor alone are things that people around here will love about the kid. He's Tedy B with a much better frame, same work ethic, same drive to be the best. You know what, if #8 is just to high for you to take the kid, you better be careful, he's not getting past Cincy.

Ofcourse, you remove Tommy Harris from any D-Line and the ILBs instantly deal with much more traffic, but you know what. With Wilfork, Big Sey and Tractor Warren (who no one moves), James won't have to come in here and be Pat Willis. He can learn from Tedy and BB can bring him along slowly into the system, it's a difficult system, but Tedy would really speed his development.

YEZORMHUUXOLBAU.20070808202412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points. I do agree that he's improved in that regard from last year (although I wouldn't exactly call it dramatic). A lot of it will hinge on if he can put on the extra 10-15 lbs w/out losing speed (which he probably will) and his football IQ, toughness, and work ethic. All in all, in the end I trust that BB and Pioli will be better judges of those things than us and make the right call. I certainly wont mind if they decide he's worth the pick.

Last edited:
Mock Draft from WalterFootball.com

8. New England Patriots: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

I can't believe New England may go 19-0 and draft in the top 10 come next April. How ridiculous is that? I previously had them taking McFadden, but San Francisco's recent two-game winning streak has ruled out that possibility. James Laurinaitis? Also an option, but Bill Belichick said that he needs to trust his linebackers, and thus does not select any early in the draft. It's no secret New England needs help at linebacker, but that may come via free agency.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Hard to quibble with that guy's picks.

1. M.Jenkins - CB - OSU
2. J.Goff - ILB - Vandy
3A C.Johnson - RB - ECU
3B Zenon - CB - LSU

I can see a T with one of those 3rd rounders. Maybe, even with the 2 if a good one falls. Not sure we're sold on Kaczur. O'Callaghan looked tremendous until he hurt his neck last year. Hasn't looked the same since. Not sure Britt a full-time starter.

If the Pats do not draft a linebacker early in the draft, the chances are

the linebacker won't even make the 53 man roster. BB does not have

a recent history of drafting and developing young linebackers. The

trouble with using free agency is that the linebacker has to be from

a 3-4 defense to have much success with the Pats. Even Adalius

Thomas has not been a ball of fire this year in BB's defense.

If the Pats do not draft a linebacker early in the draft, the chances are

the linebacker won't even make the 53 man roster. BB does not have

a recent history of drafting and developing young linebackers. The

trouble with using free agency is that the linebacker has to be from

a 3-4 defense to have much success with the Pats. Even Adalius

Thomas has not been a ball of fire this year in BB's defense.

The real problem is that there are no decent FA ILB's coming out in 2008, we need to fill this via the draft. Tedy is here for 1 or 2 more years, and I can see Jr. retiring, what better way then to draft a young stud ILB and have him play next to Tedy for the next year or 2 to learn the ropes.

The Jenkins pick will be a need pick if Asante moves on, and we'll need him to step in and start, no question. After seeing the Colts ink up Bob Sanders, it's time for us step up with Asante.

My first post since May -- so here goes...

I'll pass on this LB prospect, and IMO -- so will the Pats.

Think Seymour and Warren with this early pick. Both more than solid starters but with All-Pro abilities. Oh, but we don't need DL? Then change positions but demand the same type of ability. Is there an OT that fits? An edge rusher? A CB?

With a top 10 pick, look at the large bodies (DL/OT), along with an edge rusher (OLB/DE), or CB position. Those positions are worthy from where we'll be picking. Think potential impact player who represents VALUE with this pick.

For me at least, I'll draft my ILB later or sign an FA. Just won't consider one from this draft's crop with a top 10 pick.

Side note: Mike Vrabel still has serious ties to Ohio St...leading to the possibility he may have some opinions on their two LB prospects - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Gholston[/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]and Laurinaitis[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]. Not only is Vrabel arguably the Pats smartest defensive player, but he plans on coaching when he retires. Now seems like the perfect time for him to dabble in some scouting, get the inside scoop, and find out which of these two is smart, coachable, and can play in the Pats D.

^^^

I like the idea of Vrabel's input for the OSU guys. I also agree with going for value not for need with a top ten pick.

I would rather have Gholston than Lauranaitis. He seems easy to block. OTOH, I really hope we can get Brinkley in the third round.

Ive read that the LB hes most compareable to is A.J Hawk they have Laurinitis rated slightly below Hawk. I forgot what site's ive read it on though.
he would be a smallish LB in a Belichick system of BIG LINEBACKERS.

Chris Long is the closes to Brian Urlacher,
dude has a constant motor.
I can see BB putting LONG at ILB like he did with A.D.,
even though his strength in DE/OLB.
But he's young guy, he will learn the whole defense at DE,OLB and ILB.
Just like Bruschi did, who was originally a DE in College.
He wasn't that fast, and he wasn't a star either, but was a scrappy player,
made his way around the defense, did a lot of spot duty, remember
he wasn't even a starter.

he would be a smallish LB in a Belichick system of BIG LINEBACKERS.

Chris Long is the closes to Brian Urlacher,
dude has a constant motor.
I can see BB putting LONG at ILB like he did with A.D.,
even though his strength in DE/OLB.
But he's young guy, he will learn the whole defense at DE,OLB and ILB.
Just like Bruschi did, who was originally a DE in College.
He wasn't that fast, and he wasn't a star either, but was a scrappy player,
made his way around the defense, did a lot of spot duty, remember
he wasn't even a starter.

Bruschi was a star Defensive Tackle in college. Scrappy player, my ass. He set the NCAA sack record and held it until Freeney, than Suggs, broke it. He was as dominant as they come. His size is what kept him from being drafted until the third.

One of our ILB's has to be able to get down the field with a TE on occasion or backpedal into a med-deep zone, don't they? I think 245 lbs, no considering other factors, seems like a good weight to get downfield in coverage, while still being big enough to hold up at the point of attack.

BB 3-4 experts, feel free to correct me.

One of our ILB's has to be able to get down the field with a TE on occasion or backpedal into a med-deep zone, don't they? I think 245 lbs, no considering other factors, seems like a good weight to get downfield in coverage, while still being big enough to hold up at the point of attack.

BB 3-4 experts, feel free to correct me.

You're correct, but we brought in AD Thomas for that role, and despite getting lit up by Dallas Clark, Alexander can in a pinch. So while it would be great to get a complete inside linebacker, it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

You're correct, but we brought in AD Thomas for that role, and despite getting lit up by Dallas Clark, Alexander can in a pinch. So while it would be great to get a complete inside linebacker, it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

Would you see next year's LB core as Thomas and Seau/Lua in the middle with Gholston, Vrabel and Colvin rotating in the outside...ideally?

Would you see next year's LB core as Thomas and Seau/Lua in the middle with Gholston, Vrabel and Colvin rotating in the outside...ideally?

No, ideally we upgrade Lua in that scenario via draft, trade, or free agency.

Thomas does play much better on the inside, I've always wanted to see that D. ware, Merriman end on the Patriots, even though the team is one of the league leaders in sacks, I think we miss that in some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back