PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Laurinaitis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid is going to look real good in silver and blue. James Laurinaitis is all Patriot. He's selfless and credits his coaches and teammates for all his success.

Foxboro welcomes the "Little Animal" to Foxboro

Here's a couple of good reads on James:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/11/14/first.person1120/index.html

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vi...&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059421&Q_SEASON=2007

t1_laruinaitis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd compare him to recent NCAA guys Vilma & Poszlusny. I like him better than either of those two though. I wouldn't take him in the top 10, however. And I definitely don't think he's as talented as Hawk. Starting next year, Hawk's a perennial pro bowler.

Last edited:
Carpenter hasn't done anything, Hawk has been mediocre, Katzemoyer didn't work out. There isn't a great track record for 1st rd ILB prospects from OSU. I'd pass on Laurinitis.

Last edited:
Carpenter hasn't done anything, Hawk has been mediocre, Katzemoyer didn't work out. There isn't a great track record for 1st rd ILBs from OSU. I'd pass on Laurinitis.

You're kidding right ?? You have to be. First of all Carpenter didn't grade out as high as Hawk and Laurinaitus.

AJ Hawk is the next star ILB in this league. Scouts are saying that Laurinaitus is graded a shade (just a shade) below Hawk. I will take that.

Forget Katzenmoyer, he was just a pure head case. He lost the love for the game of football. At OSU he was everything, he just lost the desire.

From everything that I've read on James, he wants to be great, he wants to be like Urlacher (his idol). This kid has all the makings of a BB pick with that 8th pick. Which for James is right around where he is projected to go.

Seau retires and James moves right into that inside slot next to Tedy assuming Tedy stays one more year.

You're kidding right ?? You have to be. First of all Carpenter didn't grade out as high as Hawk and Laurinaitus.

AJ Hawk is the next star ILB in this league. Scouts are saying that Laurinaitus is graded a shade (just a shade) below Hawk. I will take that.

Forget Katzenmoyer, he was just a pure head case. He lost the love for the game of football. At OSU he was everything, he just lost the desire.

From everything that I've read on James, he wants to be great, he wants to be like Urlacher (his idol). This kid has all the makings of a BB pick with that 8th pick. Which for James is right around where he is projected to go.

Seau retires and James moves right into that inside slot next to Tedy assuming Tedy stays one more year.

I thought I read he is kind of dumb and isn't good at shedding blocks.

Not good for a #8 pick making 5M per year or so.

I think BB likes older smarter LBs who aren't necessarily the fastest but have seen it all and understand what he's trying to do.

No I'm not kidding. I'm not saying that Laurinitis can't be good. I'm just saying there is more risk involved than I want in a 1st rd pick, especially a top 10 pick. The track record of past OSU 1st rd ILB prospects is just one of the variables that would make me hesitate.

Last edited:
No I'm not kidding. I'm not saying that Laurinitis can't be good. I'm just saying there is more risk involved than I want in a 1st rd pick, especially a top 10 pick. The track record of past OSU 1st rd ILB prospects is just one of the variables that would make me hesitate.

Aside from Katzenmoyer and Carpenter, the last OSU LB picked in the first round was Craig Powell back in like 95 who had a decent career for the Browns. How can you make that claim when you are really only basing it on two ILB's. OSU has put great players into the NFL, I have no qualms with Laurinaitus. You watch the impact he'll have against LSU and then come back and say that you wouldn't take him.

When I first started this thread I was thinking the need for next year of an ILB especially with Tedy and JR getting up there in age. I see Tedy playing another year or 2 at most. What better way of bringing a young guy in and learning from Tedy while playing with him on the field. Who out the in FA plays ILB..Dansby?

If so, is Dansby considered a bright enough person to pick up the Pats D? He is going to cost as quess here of $7 million a year. Do we have that type of money to spend on him, Moss, Asante? I do not know.

I do know we need to keep Asante because there isn't a better shutdown Corner in FA. TB seems to love playing with Moss so that seems to be a given Randy will be back so where else do I go without drafting someone like Laurinaitis? This is just MHO.

Did anyone else watch Illinois vs Ohio State? I watched the replay of that game on Big Ten Net, and Jeremy Leman looked like a better 3-4 LB prospect. He looked more stout, showed good angles, nice sideline to sideline ability, fought through blocks, and tackled strong. I'd personally take him in a later round (he's been projected anywhere from round 3 to round 5) over taking Laurinaitis in the first round. Also, in my opinion Leman shouldn't get out of the late third/early fourth.

I don't think James is as stout as Hawk, and his trunk isn't as developed. In my opinion Laurinaitis is more a 4-3 LB who needs the protection. From what I've seen he might have trouble protecting his legs & keeping blockers off him in a 3-4 defensive scheme, especially a two gap system like NE's.

Last edited:
Seb, Is Jeremy Leman projected to be a top 10 pick? I don't follow college ball so I am just asking? Does he play for Illinois? Do they play a 3-4 or 4-3?

Last edited:
Did anyone else watch Illinois vs Ohio State? I watched the replay of that game on Big Ten Net, and Jeremy Leman looked like a better 3-4 LB prospect. He looked more stout, showed good angles, nice sideline to sideline ability, fought through blocks, and tackled strong. I'd personally take him in a later round (he's been projected anywhere from round 3 to round 5) over taking Laurinaitis in the first round. Also, in my opinion Leman shouldn't get out of the late third/early fourth.

I don't think James is as stout as Hawk, and his trunk isn't as developed. In my opinion Laurinaitis is more a 4-3 LB who needs the protection. From what I've seen he might have trouble protecting his legs & keeping blockers off him in a 3-4 defensive scheme, especially a two gap system like NE's.

What game were you watching ?????? Does he have the girth of an AJ Hawk, no he doesn't, it's better, he has an Urlacher frame and an Urlacher mentality, he's all out, all the time.

JAMES WILL BE IN PATRIOT BLUE IN APRIL

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

JAMES LAURINAITUS

Along with possessing ideal size and strength to be a run stopper up the middle, Laurinaitis posses excellent speed that allows him to make tackles sideline to sideline. The last two years he has also shown off an ability to drop into pass coverage (7 career INTs and 3 career pass breakups) that will be as much a factor for his success in the NFL as anything. James is very much in the same mold as A.J. Hawk, a former Buckeye linebacker and player under whom James studied as a freshmen at Ohio State, although some question whether he possesses Hawk's natural physical gifts. However, James' explosion on to the scene in 2006 as a true sophomore are a sign of his ability to work hard in the off season (he put on 10 lbs. of muscle from '05 to '06 to help with the move to inside linebacker) and his intelligence. Laurinaitis has an incredible motor that allows him to make plays all over the field, is excellent at shedding blocks, and has great instincts and play recognition abilities.

LAURINAITIS_JAMES.JPG

Seb, Is Jeremy Leman projected to be a top 10 pick? I don't follow college ball so I am just asking? Does he play for Illinois? Do they play a 3-4 or 4-3?

No, he's projected 3rd to 6th or so. ILBs who aren't blazingly fast or athletic usually aren't drafted high.

What game were you watching ?????? Does he have the girth of an AJ Hawk, no he doesn't, it's better, he has an Urlacher frame and an Urlacher mentality, he's all out, all the time.

JAMES LAURINAITUS

Along with possessing ideal size and strength to be a run stopper up the middle, Laurinaitis posses excellent speed that allows him to make tackles sideline to sideline. The last two years he has also shown off an ability to drop into pass coverage (7 career INTs and 3 career pass breakups) that will be as much a factor for his success in the NFL as anything. James is very much in the same mold as A.J. Hawk, a former Buckeye linebacker and player under whom James studied as a freshmen at Ohio State, although some question whether he possesses Hawk's natural physical gifts. However, James' explosion on to the scene in 2006 as a true sophomore are a sign of his ability to work hard in the off season (he put on 10 lbs. of muscle from '05 to '06 to help with the move to inside linebacker) and his intelligence. Laurinaitis has an incredible motor that allows him to make plays all over the field, is excellent at shedding blocks, and has great instincts and play recognition abilities.

LAURINAITIS_JAMES.JPG

He won't be in Patriot Blue even if he does come out, which he may not.

He's as dumb as a box of rocks. Really dull, old rocks.

He won't be in Patriot Blue even if he does come out, which he may not.

He's as dumb as a box of rocks. Really dull, old rocks.

Are you just busting his balls, or are you serious? I hadn't heard that.

take this for what it's worth... BUT let me preface by saying that I play the 3-4 defense as best as I understand it. When there is a run inside, I take the ILB and try to stack up the guard...

I uploaded a madden 08 draft class and drafted both gholston and laurenitis for the pats...

Laurenitis is stout enough to take on guards playing inside the 3-4
he is also quick enough to beat pulling guards/tackles in traps etc
and he really shines when dropping his hips into pass coverage
so I think he can play inside for us

as for his intelligence... I know nothing about it

ps. gholston is a pass rushing monster off the edge in obvious pass situations and spot duty in a 3-4 OLB rotation for Vrabel

This is an intersting topic. I see Hawk as a solid dependable starter, the kind of player every team would like to have. But Hawk is not yet an impact player, and hasn't performed as well through 2 years IMO as Willis, Ryans, Beason, D. Harris have after 1. While the Packers I'm sure are not regretting drafting a solid player who seems dependable and durable, they were probably looking for more with a top 10 pick. I realize he has improved in pass coverage, and maybe he'll breakout next season. But with all the evidence we have now, if you told me Laurinaitis would be just as good a pro as AJ Hawk is today, I still wouldn't draft Laurinitis at #8. And, since the "scouts" you cite seem to be saying he won't be as good as AJ Hawk, even in a best case scenario that's not a ringing endorsement for a top 10 pick.

Obviously you're being sarcastic here, right?:confused I already gave Leman's projected draft stock...

Yes, Leman plays LB for Illinois.

Last edited:

JAMES LAURINAITUS

LAURINAITIS_JAMES.JPG

As I said in the first post, I watched the replay of Illinois vs Ohio State. That wasn't the only time I've watched Laurinaitis, but it was among the few chances I had to see him and Leman on the field during the same contest.

Few quick questions for ya:

Do you know what a players "trunk" is?

Your understanding of what it means for a LB to be stout?

And finally, have you attended any college classes at Ohio State, or root for them as a fan?

take this for what it's worth... BUT let me preface by saying that I play the 3-4 defense as best as I understand it. When there is a run inside, I take the ILB and try to stack up the guard...

I uploaded a madden 08 draft class and drafted both gholston and laurenitis for the pats...

Laurenitis is stout enough to take on guards playing inside the 3-4
he is also quick enough to beat pulling guards/tackles in traps etc
and he really shines when dropping his hips into pass coverage
so I think he can play inside for us

as for his intelligence... I know nothing about it

ps. gholston is a pass rushing monster off the edge in obvious pass situations and spot duty in a 3-4 OLB rotation for Vrabel

So, we're resorting to using Madden 08 as a scouting tool?

Interesting.

The Case Against Laurinaitis

I've been watching JL for a while, now, because a lot of mocks have us taking him. I urgently, desperately want the Pats to draft help at ILB, but frankly, I dont think this is a kid that BB would tap.

The case FOR -
Size: He passes the visual test. He's got the size, at least.
Need: The risk that we lose both Bruschi and Seau in the offseason is VERY real. Especially if the team goes 19-0 and wins the SB. What better way to call it a career?
Supply: There aren't a lot of warm bodies in FA, few on the shadow roster. Other than Alexander, the next most promising way Corey Mays, an undrafted player who was signed off waivers by the Bengals. Our depth at the position is Thomas and Vrabel, both of whom are best suited to play OLB. Truly, the cupboard is bare.
Pass Coverage: I've seen plenty of film of him in pass coverage, and he looks solid. Great lateral agility and closing speed.

The case AGAINST -
Productivity: He's a one-year starter, after playing behind Hawk and Schlegel. Even so, he's an underclassman.
Versatility: On film, he looks solid in pass coverage, but questionable in traffic. In the 4-3, he's free to pursue the ball carrier. In a 3-4, he'll need to take on and beat an OG. Has skills in open space, but I would not call him versatile.
Smarts: For what we'd need from him, he's a project. He'll need to be able to diagnose the offense and call the plays. I saw nothing in terms of film room smarts that gives me confidence he can do it. JL might become that, with time, but he's not there now (even if it's just a question of experience)... and that means BB wont see him as top-10 value. BB will choose a LB as much on personality as anything else, and wants his ILB to be a coach on the field-- "bookish"-- LB moreso than any other position because these are the players he wraps his entire scheme around.
Leadership: From his youtube interviews with ESPN, JL came across as young and green. If we use Vrabel and Brady and Mankins as role models for what the team looks to draft-- these are smart, witty, grounded individuals who take their work very seriously and who others can look to for direction. That's not the vibe I get from JL, at all. Can eat Humble Pie without exploding in a very Ryan Leaf kind of a way? I'm not sure he's quite that mature. That is a key differentiator between JL and (for example) Vilma, who BB did like coming out of school.

I rate Carpenter ahead of Laurinaitis as a prospect for the Pats, based on the different ways he was used in college (pass rush, pass coverage, run stop) and his ability to control the LOS.

I rate Posluszny ahead of Laurinaitis as a prospect for the Pats, in terms of leadership, experience, as a student of the game, and play against the run... in most dimensions, Pos is way way ahead. The fact that BB passed on him to take the S.F. trade either means he had big plans for the 2008 draft, or he just want impressed with what seems (to me) to be a far better fit.

And, since he was mentioned in the thread, there is very little about Karlos Dansby that the Pats are likely to find interesting. In particular, he doesn't have any experience in the 3-4. And he's a punk. I think Chad Brown is more likely to play ILB for us next year than Dansby... so there you go.

The guy I was starting to warm to as a Pats fit was Chris Long. He is someone who you would associate with the words "physical", "versatile", "leadership". But with SF on their winning trend, Long seems most likely out of reach-- unless he bombs at the combine.

Another guy who I like, on film, is Derek Harvey from Florida. Watch film on the Gators and look for #91 coming off the edge. Looks like Vrabel. I dont know a lot about him, but I expect that BB will get the inside scoop from his buddy Urban Meyer. And the other OSU LB prospect - Gholston - this kid is flying up draft charts, to the very top. I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion; I am slightly skeptical but very intruiged. Harvey and Gholston are both natural OLB talents... and we happen to be stacked at OLB.

Unless it's Maualuga (I haven't scouted him in any depth, yet), I'm more prepared to believe that the SF pick will go to help backfill Asante and Wilson: either Jenkins or Jenkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back