PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett Appreciation Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This kid is going to be special. Tom Brady special? No. But he's going to win a good number of football games before he's done. To come in on short notice as a rookie and outplay a bajillion dollar QB?

Sure the Special Teams and defense did a ton of heavy lifting. Sure the OL was ****ing fantastic. Sure, the gameplan played to his strengths.

But IDGAF, this is a rookie on national TV in week 3 facing a defense run by a DC as familiar with our team's approach as you could possibly be and we got a solid, almost mistake-free game.

We're so goddamn lucky to be fans of this team.

Agreed, I think it's fair to say he was nowhere near ready to start an NFL game. And that's fine, nobody expected he'd be in this position, and he wasn't prepared to be put in this position. But he showed enough in the way of competitiveness and mental game tonight that I'm even more confident than before that he'll be a damn good pro. If he ends up being Brady's successor--purely due to the timing working out in his favor--I think I'll feel pretty much okay with that.

I am very impressed by Biscuit.
He took every QB snap and managed it well. There is a reason some scouts had compaisons to him and Dak Prescott. Both have done a good job of taking what is given to them and we even saw Biscuit do it himself. Gotta post his TD run again. Pats haven't seen that type of play done like that in a while.

Well deserved appreciation thread. What he did and the poise he showed were phenomenal. He's special.

Props to Parcells. He wasn't blowing smoke when he praised this kid's intangibles. Brissett still has a lot to learn, but I love his poise. I don't remember him making a single dumb play all game. He seems to have all the things you can't teach. After a couple of years learning from the bench, I think we'll have something with him.

The guy is very special, as is Jimmy G. I think Brady will play out his contract and I see JB as his successor, JG will yield a king's ransom. Hitting on 2 QB's like this is great.

I really want to know what he said to BB as he handed the ball to him.

If he said something to the effect of, 'Thanks for the opportunity, coach" I want him to marry one of my daughters.

:p

While I think JB deserves praise for stepping up in a difficult situation this early on, I don't see what a lot of you guys seem to see in him.

He might become a really good QB, but last night didn't provide any real evidence of that in my opinion. Coaching, defense, OL+running game won that game. JB obviously did his part, but he wasn't asked to do a lot.

He can move. no doubt, and he has a strong arm, but I think it was also clear that precision and touch on his passes are not that great. These things will surely get better with time, but his strength is clearly is ability to run. And maybe that is where I'm a bit biased, since I prefer pocket passers. Which again might be why I a lot higher on Jimmy than JB.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Why has nobody mentioned before these two were college teammates? Or maybe I whiffed on it :p

Props to Parcells. He wasn't blowing smoke when he praised this kid's intangibles. Brissett still has a lot to learn, but I love his poise. I don't remember him making a single dumb play all game. He seems to have all the things you can't teach. After a couple of years learning from the bench, I think we'll have something with him.
Just one dumb play that I can recall, a forced pass into the end zone (Bennett) that should've been intercepted. He did what he had to do and the team rallied around him with lights-out support from the defense, special teams and Blount. JB doesn't read defenses or do checkdowns yet (he knew where he was going to throw pre-snap on most pass plays) and needs to develop touch on the long ball, so it will be a while before we know what he's capable of. The game plan for him was great, including the designed run plays and permission to scramble if the first option wasn't there.

Last edited:
While I think JB deserves praise for stepping up in a difficult situation this early on, I don't see what a lot of you guys seem to see in him.

He might become a really good QB, but last night didn't provide any real evidence of that in my opinion. Coaching, defense, OL+running game won that game. JB obviously did his part, but he wasn't asked to do a lot.

He can move. no doubt, and he has a strong arm, but I think it was also clear that precision and touch on his passes are not that great. These things will surely get better with time, but his strength is clearly is ability to run. And maybe that is where I'm a bit biased, since I prefer pocket passers. Which again might be why I a lot higher on Jimmy than JB.

yes.......the fact that on a couple of days prep, he executed the game plan without mistakes.......I think he needs to quicken his release, and just keep working at it

I'm not penciling him in as the next GOAT though.....not yet anyway

No, you're 100-percent correct.

The reason people are optmistic about Brissett is that he showed A LOT of calmness/poise yesterday in a very high pressure situation for him. First career start, on a short week, being the only QB left on the roster. Very difficult situation for a young player.

He didn't set the world on fire, but he did what he had to do and, most importantly, he didn't make costly mistakes. He through the ball away when he had to, he slid instead of going for the useless extra yards, he didn't force throws, etc. Sure, he missed a few reads and kept the ball too long on a few occasions, but that is to be expected. All of that will come with experience. He needs to learn so much more and luckily for us, we do have the luxury of grooming him for at least 2 more years (either Brady remains great or Jimmy plays until his rookie contract ends).

He has a strong arm, he has poise and he is reported as being a very hard worker. With the right coaching, he will develop into a least a very serviceable starter. He might not be a superstar, but he won't hurt you. That is why I am excited about Jacoby Brissett.

yes.......the fact that on a couple of days prep, he executed the game plan without mistakes.......I think he needs to quicken his release, and just keep working at it

I'm not penciling him in as the next GOAT though.....not yet anyway

I'm not questioning his smarts, attitude or work etics. Like I said, he deserves praise for a job well done. I just don't see anywhere near the same potential in JB as I see in Jimmy. Again, that might be about what kind of QB you prefer. Jimmy as a brady/rodgers type and JB as a Cam/Kaepernick type.

I also don't understand this assumption that JB will automatically see the same growth as Jimmy and preform at his level in two years. Obviously those two years will help, but It's not in any way a given that JB will progress that way. The way Jimmy played the first two games cannot just be thaught.

I don't think anyone on this board is calling him the next great franchise QB.

Here is the thing. Last night he was disciplined, had poise and made good decisions 99% of the time. IMO that is THE hardest thing for any QB to do- let alone a rookie. The temptation is there on every snap to make a play. Its one thing for the coach to tell the QB to avoid risk but it's another thing to adhere to it. last night Brissett did that very, very well last night and he made some good throws in the process.

You are being biased. You make it sound like Brissett is the second coming of Turner Gill and hes not.

You can be a pocket passer and have excellent mobility. Look at John Elway, Russell Wilson, etc.

As you say Brissett has the physical tools and we'll see if he develops but based on his ability to manage the game, to me he has a great chance of being a decent Qb in this league.

The guy is very special, as is Jimmy G. I think Brady will play out his contract and I see JB as his successor, JG will yield a king's ransom. Hitting on 2 QB's like this is great.

Yikes. "Very special"? After a single game? Sorry, but that's incorrect. He did a good job of taking what was there and not making any back breaking mistakes so the defense and the running game could seal it, but I didn't see anything that would indicate "very special". The Pats simplified the offense a lot for him and the Texans didn't do a whole lot on defense to make them pay for that. I'll give credit where credit is due that he played a mistake-free game, but he also wasn't asked to do a whole lot for good reason.

I don't know how in the world Jacoby ran a 4.94 40-yard dash, because he is way quicker than that. He must not have worked with a track coach or slight injury or something. This is a guy who was once recruited by North Carolina, Wisconsin and many others to play D1 basketball as a guard, a top 100 recruit:

Small sample but he was fun to watch. The play designs by Josh, calmness for being a rookie. Great win for the young guy. Happy to have him on the team.

I'm not questioning his smarts, attitude or work etics. Like I said, he deserves praise for a job well done. I just don't see anywhere near the same potential in JB as I see in Jimmy. Again, that might be about what kind of QB you prefer. Jimmy as a brady/rodgers type and JB as a Cam/Kaepernick type.

I also don't understand this assumption that JB will automatically see the same growth as Jimmy and preform at his level in two years. Obviously those two years will help, but It's not in any way a given that JB will progress that way. The way Jimmy played the first two games cannot just be thaught.

week 3 of his rookie season.......most would look pretty rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes