PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson Has Torn Acl Per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stuff, thanks for the insights.

Unfortunately one of the biggest insights is with the psychological aspect of such an injury.

Much is deteremined I think, by how traumatic the original injury was. In my case I did a Joe Theisman with my knee. The shock and pain of my knee bending sideways and then becoming "gumby-like" is something I'll never forget. Mentally I'll never trust my knee fully again, and will never go "all out" in any sport or activity for fear of having the same experience.

I've always thought this is what happend with Dee Brown of the Celtics - he used to be fearless, then tore his ACL, then became tentative and it was really all over for him.

Some players (Rodney) seem to have a very different attitude and seem to have no problem playing with abandon. But an ACL tear doesn't always need to be as grusome as mine - and given the fact that no one picked up on Jackson's injury for awhile, hopefully it wasn't one of the worst traumas ever.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/otherNFL/view.bg?articleid=180405

Rush Propst has seen it from Chad Jackson before: The slow start. The mental struggles. The disappearing act. But Propst,Jackson’s high school coach at Hoover High in Alabama, has a message for those fans who might be doubting the Patriots’ struggling rookie receiver: Be patient. Jackson is a player.
‘‘As a 10th grader he was a great player for us,and he went in the tank a little bit like any 10th grader would,’’ Propst said yesterday. ‘‘We had a great football team,won a state championship,but he had to be nurtured along even then.
‘‘And then,first thing at (the University of) Florida,same situation. He went there with a lot of accolades, probably second-best player in Alabama behind (LSU star quarterback) JaMarcus Russell for ‘Mr. Football.’ Came in with great expectations, and it didn’t happen. Then,bam!,Urban Meyer comes in and it starts to happen.
‘‘I think he has tremendous ability, Pro Bowl material. I think once he learns the system and gets in tune with what’s going on,and gets on the same page with Tom Brady [stats] and their offensive coaches,the sky is the limit.’’
Jackson was stuck at entry level with the Pats as a rookie, catching just 13 balls and spending most of the playoffs as a spare part. Part of the issue was health (hamstring), and part of it was a matter of maturity and aptitude. Propst said the latterwill come around,just as it did
at Florida.
‘‘Same deal,’’ said Propst, who is at the Super Bowl promoting a reality series on MTV about his high school team. ‘‘Chad will get there.
At the end of the day he will get there. His upside is enormous. He will get there,I promise you. . . .
Smart kid,but I do think he struggles at times when you move him around. It takes some time for him to get it done.’’

Last edited:
Some players (Rodney) seem to have a very different attitude and seem to have no problem playing with abandon. But an ACL tear doesn't always need to be as grusome as mine - and given the fact that no one picked up on Jackson's injury for awhile, hopefully it wasn't one of the worst traumas ever.

That's a really great point and something I hadn't thought of you - I think you say it best, since he didn't have one of those horrific experiences like you had - or at least we can assume based on what we saw (or more accurately what we didn't see) - hopefully there won't be too much lingering tenativeness.

Some things I've read have said the player can come back "faster and stronger" after the injury - have you heard of this before. First I've heard of that re: an ACL injury.

Last edited:
Jackson, the team's highly touted 2006 second-round draft choice, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the team's AFC Championship game loss to the Colts Jan. 21, according to a league source.
To Reiss,

Thanks Mike for doing the legwork (once again), but considering your solid relationship with the Pats, why no confirmation from them?

Also, unfortunately they'll be much speculation and far too many posts regarding Jackson's recovery time and contribution for this upcoming season. That said, isn't it fair to assume that because his much-awaited development was slowed this past season due to missing TC and pre-season, and limited in game reps during the season, his progress will again be slowed by missing another camp and pre-season? Isn't it also fair to say the Pats have to enter the season with a full WR corps in place, knowing full well that the healing process for all injuries is individually based. Simply stated, WHEN Jackson is fully healed and ready to see action -- he will. But until they reach that point, BB & Co. are obligated to provide Brady with capable receivers to start the season, while Jackson's career with the Pats will have to unfold at it's own pace.

Come on fellas, Lets stop acting like Reiss didn't get this from someone who knows EXACTLY what happened, he wouldn't of written an article with the injury listed unless he knew exactly what it was, he found out it was a torn ACL and wrote the thing. Stop overanalyzing a line in the piece, it is clear that Jackson does have a torn ACL, also for the tools calling him a bust, how can you be a bust because you get hurt in a game?

even when healthy and we needed him to step up he didnt, its time to move on all the hype was just thathe is now with dykes, simmons and johnson end of story

Really? How do you know he was healthy? You seem to think that people can just go in and start playing. That's not the case at all.

Jackson WAS stepping up in the way he was being asked to. And that's what people like yourself miss.

Comparing him to Hart Lee Dykes (who was SHOT, by the way), is just stupid.

Last year I just gave up any hope of Jackson playing a down that season. This year I will do the same.

And Jackson proved you wrong. He played a LOT on running plays and on special teams.

And Jackson proved you wrong. He played a LOT on running plays and on special teams.

I was going to make that point, but then I thought to myself, why bother. If he doesn't even know Jackson played last year, there's probably no helping him.

Remix did start the process. I'm sure Curran read it here and then the Patriots felt they needed to release the info through Reiss.

If it came from the Pats through Reiss, he'd have said so. He wouldn't have quoted a league source.

no one is slamming him but the facts are he is injury prone and when healthy couldnt emerge from a weak stable of recievers those are facts lets hope he does something in the future

No, those aren't FACTS. Those are your misguided opinions based on not having ALL the facts.

1) Most 1st year receivers don't do much. And, as many have reported, Jackson has always been better in his 2nd year than his first.

2) You are calling him injury prone. That is friggin ridiculous. The guy got hurt on special teams. He got hit in the leg area and tore the ACL. Next you'll be calling Rodney Harrison injury prone.

3) Jackson was doing what the Patriots asked him to do. If you have a problem with that, then blame the Patriots coaching staff, not Jackson.

you work for the current (US presidential) administration, don't you?

Certainly not. Whether they have a right to be given the benefit of the doubt is a matter for the political forum. I would have thought it was evident that Patriots fans should give loyalty to Patriots players.

Yeah, yeah, so it took him two years to understand a high school offense and the same in college. Welcome to the NFL. 99% of NFL players were great in their final years of high school and college too. It means nothing now.

Jackson WAS stepping up in the way he was being asked to. And that's what people like yourself miss.

Participating in 5 out of 204 offensive plays during the playoffs counts as "stepping up"? Ok, he played a little bit on ST, but Spann and Andrews were more active on that unit, so where's the hype around them? :rolleyes:

The love affair with a player was has done hardly anything in the NFL is ridiculous. Now he can catch 50 balls two seasons from now and shut everyone up, but until them I'm not going to expect anything out of him.

Certainly not. Whether they have a right to be given the benefit of the doubt is a matter for the political forum. I would have thought it was evident that Patriots fans should give loyalty to Patriots players.

I think his point was you questioning the loyalty of Pats fans who don't see the hype around Jackson was very **** Cheney-like. I agree with that BTW.

I think his point was you questioning the loyalty of Pats fans who don't see the hype around Jackson was very **** Cheney-like. I agree with that BTW.

It's one thing not to see the hype; it's another to describe him as "injury-prone" (what an idiotic idea: you can't be "prone" to have an ACL snap) and a "bust". I haven't hyped Jackson but I'll take issue with those who are using the occasion of a serious injury to denigrate him. (So that makes me like **** Cheney? As if I cared.)

It's one thing not to see the hype; it's another to describe him as "injury-prone" (what an idiotic idea: you can't be "prone" to have an ACL snap) and a "bust". I haven't hyped Jackson but I'll take issue with those who are using the occasion of a serious injury to denigrate him. (So that makes me like **** Cheney? As if I cared.)

then say that, but don't say that someone who wants to say something negative about Chad Jackson is disloyal. Believing/hoping doesn't make you a better fan, it makes you a different kind of fan. truth be told I'm an optimist myself and never understand the doom-and-gloomers.

I've said it in so many Jackson threads: I'll never understand the fascination with the guy. I hope he develops into a pro bowler for the good of the team like everybody else and he hasn't done anything to make me think he's a bad guy. I just don't understand the hype. Why can't we treat him like every other Patriots player and let him work to earn his place on the team. When he earns the hype I'll be happy to give it to him.

Anyone declaring him a bust after 1 year is being silly, but anyone pretending that his 1st year was anything but unimpressive is being equally silly. Oh, and people trying to find a silver lining in a torn ACL are being really silly.

Oh, and people trying to find a silver lining in a torn ACL are being really silly.

Outside of it happening in January and not August, I would agree.

Jackson hasn't been injury prone? We drafted him with a bad hammy and sure enough in TC he aggravated it. He comes back and in the middle of the season... this time it's a groin injury. So he plays a little bit on ST in the playoffs and sure enough he's injured again, this time it's very serious. Whether he was a bust in his rookie season is open to debate. He certainly didn't live up to my expectations.

Just because you criticize a player doesn't mean you aren't loyal to the team. If that were true, 95% of the forum are disloyal for not brownnosing Beisel and Starks last season.

then say that, but don't say that someone who wants to say something negative about Chad Jackson is disloyal. Believing/hoping doesn't make you a better fan, it makes you a different kind of fan. truth be told I'm an optimist myself and never understand the doom-and-gloomers.

I've said it in so many Jackson threads: I'll never understand the fascination with the guy. I hope he develops into a pro bowler for the good of the team like everybody else and he hasn't done anything to make me think he's a bad guy. I just don't understand the hype. Why can't we treat him like every other Patriots player and let him work to earn his place on the team. When he earns the hype I'll be happy to give it to him.

Anyone declaring him a bust after 1 year is being silly, but anyone pretending that his 1st year was anything but unimpressive is being equally silly. Oh, and people trying to find a silver lining in a torn ACL are being really silly.

Fans who turned on Jackson so quickly in his first year are curious. They ignore the checkered history of great WRs in rookie seasons, they disregard BB's judgment, they dismiss Pioli personnel savvy, they ignore Jackson's physical tools. Instead they focus on the personality struggles of a 21 year old college senior moving from the SEC to New England. The fans who turned on Jackson so quickly are short-sighted, historically ignorant and wilfully foolish. M the B has every right to say what he said and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes