Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
we came into the world in 1960.
i know that the name 'Patriots' was chosen after a fan vote.

do you know or someone remember more about that 'fan vote' ?

it was a big victory for 'Patriots' name ?

how many candidates names there were ? and where ? newspapers ? or ?

about Pat Patriot logo i know perfectly the story (Phil Bissell...)

italianpatthepatriot said:
we came into the world in 1960.
i know that the name 'Patriots' was chosen after a fan vote.

do you know or someone remember more about that 'fan vote' ?

it was a big victory for 'Patriots' name ?

how many candidates names there were ? and where ? newspapers ? or ?

about Pat Patriot logo i know perfectly the story (Phil Bissell...)

We didn't have any fans back then. Maybe you confused it with the "New England Patriots" name?

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=19

"Billy Sullivan Jr., a Boston businessman with a strong sports promotional background, secured an American Football League franchise on November 22, 1959. In keeping with the New England heritage, the nickname "Patriots" was selected by a panel of Boston sportswriters in a contest to name the team. The Boston team was involved in two significant "firsts" in 1960. The Patriots defeated the Buffalo Bills in the first AFL pre-season game on July 30. On September 9, the Patriots lost to the Denver Broncos 13-10 in the first-ever AFL regular-season game."

Remember Sullivan was a former public relations man so this "panel" might have just been a bunch of sportwriters he knew at the local pub.:D

Last edited:
RayClay said:
We didn't have any fans back then. Maybe you confused it with the "New England Patriots" name?

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=19

"Billy Sullivan Jr., a Boston businessman with a strong sports promotional background, secured an American Football League franchise on November 22, 1959. In keeping with the New England heritage, the nickname "Patriots" was selected by a panel of Boston sportswriters in a contest to name the team. The Boston team was involved in two significant "firsts" in 1960. The Patriots defeated the Buffalo Bills in the first AFL pre-season game on July 30. On September 9, the Patriots lost to the Denver Broncos 13-10 in the first-ever AFL regular-season game."

Remember Sullivan was a former public relations man so this "panel" might have just been a bunch of sportwriters he knew at the local pub.:D

i read on 'Tales from the Patriots sideline' that the name 'Patriots' was chosen after a fan vote (and he is talking about 1959...).

so if it was a 'fan votation' i thought there could have been other candidates (i.e: Redskins)

NEM said:

C'mon NEM, was it a fan vote or a bunch of drunken sportswriters?

Your the only one alive who knows so 'fes up.:D

i read on 'Tales from the Patriots sideline' that the name 'Patriots' was chosen after a fan vote (and he is talking about 1959...).

so if it was a 'fan votation' i thought there could have been other candidates (i.e: Redskins)

Felger moved here from Wisconsin, over 1,000 miles away. He was a Packer fan and probably knew less than me and you about the Pats when we moved here, (definitely less than NEM.:D ).

I can't find out who wrote that Hall of Fame article, but I'll look for other sources later.

Felger wrote this book almost totally from interviews, I bet.

From what I know of the Patriots history Sullivan barely qualified to be an owner and if he didn't slap things together, there wouldn't be any team. It makes sense to me that he get a name and logos as quickly as he could which would make a poll of a disinterested public unlikely.

Last edited:

I misread the article.

The panel of sportwriters selected the entry from among those submitted. It must have been a newspaper contest anyway. I wonder which paper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bay State Patriots

In a related bit of team name trivia, for a few short days in the spring of 1971 the Patriots were known as tha Bay State Patriots. The name change from the Boston Patriots came about as the end of the AFL gave way to the NFL. Realizing the error of that Bay State announcement, the Pats quickly renamed themselves the New England Patriots.

I recall the newly drafted franchise QB Jim Plunkett quipping that the Bay State Patriots sounded like a "roller derby" team (after the popular Bay Area Bombers of roller derby fame).

Last edited:
Patriotic said:
In a related bit of team name trivia, for a few short days in the spring of 1971 the Patriots were known as tha Bay State Patriots. The name change from the Boston Patriots came about as the end of the AFL gave way to the NFL. Realizing the error of that Bay State announcement, the Pats quickly renamed themselves the New England Patriots.

I recall the newly drafted franchise QB Jim Plunkett quipping that the Bay State Patriots sounded like a "roller derby" team (after the popular Bay Area Bombers of roller derby fame).
You mis one aspect of the Bat State name.

Someone suggested to the Pats org that Bay State would forever be abbreviated as B.S., thus the incentive to change it to something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots

RayClay said:
From what I know of the Patriots history Sullivan barely qualified to be an owner and if he didn't slap things together, there wouldn't be any team. It makes sense to me that he get a name and logos as quickly as he could which would make a poll of a disinterested public unlikely.

That first meeting where he got all the investors in line took place at Vesper Country Club in Lowell, MA.

Willie55 said:
That first meeting where he got all the investors in line took place at Vesper Country Club in Lowell, MA.

Please give us some more info if you have it. I am fascinated by this period in Patriots History. I think it would make a great movie. Humor, pathos, etc.

I have to correct myself, Vesper C.C. is actually in Tyngsboro, MA, right next to Lowell.

RayClay said:
Please give us some more info if you have it. I am fascinated by this period in Patriots History. I think it would make a great movie. Humor, pathos, etc.

When Billy passed, I recall reading how he gathered all the investors at Vesper and persuaded them to invest in the team to which they agreed.

RayClay said:
I am fascinated by this period in Patriots History.

as you know...you are not the only one...i'm fascinated too a lot

RayClay said:
C'mon NEM, was it a fan vote or a bunch of drunken sportswriters?

Your the only one alive who knows so 'fes up.:D

i agree with RayClay, NEM.
you know the reply for sure and more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back