PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Patrick Mahomes already the "best" QB to ever step onto the field?

I kinda sorta thought that, but now that I am really awake I am glad to see it confirmed. Sometimes I just post stuff b/c I have no real life friends.

Digital friends are easier to block and can't borrow tools for six years at a time.

I'm no Marino fan. Although, Marinos stats for his second season are unbelievable as he threw for 48 TD's and went to the SuperBowl. Never again would he go to the superBowl. Maybe he and Mahomes will have something in common.

Marino always seemed like a egotistical dink and Rodgers looks like the new captain of the NFL'S douche club.

Mahomes comes across as a fun guy to play with and I think he's probably the best of the young QB group. My guess is that his career won't end ringless.

Mahomes is a great QB and if he stays healthy I have little doubt he's heading for the HOF. It is odd to say that after only 20 or so games but most people would probably agree.

The reason everyone goes crazy for Mahomes is obvious. Not only he is great, it's easy to see his greatness (unlike Brady). He is fun to watch, and unlike Brady he hasn't won anything yet so no one has a reason to dislike him.

That being said there are some issues with his game. His ability to read a defense is overstated. He can do it good enough but not at a particularly special level. Also his ability to manipulate defenses is overrated in a sense too. He has the ability to make those big flashy plays where he runs left and does a sneaky pass to the right, but he doesn't manipulate within the pocket that much. The fact his manipulation of the defense has to be such a production is a tiny bit concerning.

The biggest issue he has is a lot of his strengths is based on his physical ability. That kind of game doesn't age well. Not to mention he has gotten to play his entire career surrounded by super stars. Kelce, Hill, Watkins and an underrated OL.

People complain about his defense, but you don't get to have everything. If they plan to pay guys like Kelce and Hill among others, then you aren't paying guys on defense. That's just how it is, and it makes the game more fair. If they believe in Mahomes take away a few weapons and spend on D.

Last edited:
He has a phenomenal arm and runs the Walrus’s offense well. His inexperience and lack of ability to really understand a defense, and his reliance on first reads within the scheme, was on full display in the AFCCG. Not only was he embarrassed in the first half, but all of his big plays in the second half were well designed screens and misdirection plays. I don’t put a ton of stock in ESPN’s QBR, but they got that one right by giving him a very subpar grade.

He has the physical potential to be something very special...then again, Marino, Young, and Rodgers were also the “perfect prototype” as well. Maybe Favre too. It is possible for anyone to plateau or even regress, and it isn’t a given at all that experience builds a better understanding of the game. Right now Mahomes is very dominant but it isn’t because of his ability to read defenses. He plays checkers and it works due to his pure talent and supporting cast.

That said, I’d take him over any young QB in the league and he is really fun to watch.
Mike Vick was better. Check mate.
Ice please edit or delete this.
Bad look bro.

Mahomes is a great QB and if he stays healthy I have little doubt he's heading for the HOF. It is odd to say that after only 20 or so games but most people would probably agree.

The reason everyone goes crazy for Mahomes is obvious. Not only he is great, it's easy to see his greatness (unlike Brady). He is fun to watch, and unlike Brady he hasn't won anything yet so no one has a reason to dislike him.

That being said there are some issues with his game. His ability to read a defense is overstated. He can do it good enough but not at a particular special level. Also his ability to manipulate defenses is overrated in a sense too. He has the ability to make those big flashy plays where he runs left and does a sneaky pass to the right, but he doesn't manipulate within the pocket that much. The fact his manipulation of the defense has to be such a production is a tiny bit concerning.

The biggest issue he has is almost all his ability is based on his physical ability. That kind of game doesn't age well. Not to mention he has gotten to play his entire career surrounded by super stars. Kelce, Hill, Watkins and an underrated OL.

People complain about his defense, but you don't get to have everything. If they plan to pay guys like Kelce and Hill among others, then you aren't paying guys on defense. That's just how it is, and it makes the game more fair. If they believe in Mahomes take away a few weapons and spend on D.
The amount of posters on this board that don't believe Mahomes can read a defense is shockingly high. Its embarrassing. Arguably the best in the game & he cant read a defense? He's been doing that & a lot more those same posters couldn't even begin to explain.

Had trouble w the GOAT (Bill) but he can't read a defense lol? Again its embarrassing. And makes a very boring board when only Brady can read defenses.

The amount of posters on this board that don't believe Mahomes can read a defense is shockingly high. Its embarrassing. Arguably the best in the game & he cant read a defense? He's been doing that & a lot more those same posters couldn't even begin to explain.

Had trouble w the GOAT (Bill) but he can't read a defense lol? Again its embarrassing. And makes a very boring board when only Brady can read defenses.

I hope my post didn't come off as saying he's bad at reading a defense. I hope I made clear that wasn't my opinion. I think he does it pretty well. I just don't consider that a strength of his.

I hope my post didn't come off as saying he's bad at reading a defense. I hope I made clear that wasn't my opinion. I think he does it pretty well. I just don't consider that a strength of his.

He’s young. Let’s see if he can grind it out with an undermanned offense against a great defense. That will tell us about his depth of understanding and ability to read and react. Too soon to tell. Too soon to expect him to excel at that as well. But jumping the gun in the OP in my opinion. I’ve rewatched the AFCCG a lot of times and he really was mentally destroyed. All of his “big plays” were designed misdirections, screens, and an illegal pick.

See Rodgers and Brady in the 2014 postseason vs Seattle and you can see the difference. One guy is supremely talented/accurate provided there are some pretty obvious mismatches to exploit. The other is Kasparov. We don’t know what Mahomes is yet, but he is damn good at passing.

Last edited:
No & I'm never that serious. I like to bust ballz. There is a "nobody can read a defense" besides Brady feel to this place at times.

Maybe if you one has an incredibly stupid and warped definition of "best".

Always surprised at how many are behind the curve.

Mahomes first 20 games for a SB contender
10,000+ yards
100(+?) TD/Less than 25 INT
20+ wins

Losing to the GOATS (biggest outliers in sports history) isnt the worst thing in the world.

The best arm in the NFL, amazing eye/body manipulation, very good at reading defenses. A common argument for non-Brady fans is that while Brady may be the GOAT, Rodgers is the best QB ever. I never bought into that argument because it's BS. With Mahomes, however, I can see that argument becoming true. He can do things literally no one else can do in the NFL. I don't know if he will ever reach Brady's legacy, but is Mahomes already the best QB to play in the NFL?
When Mahomes wins a couple Super Bowls, we can start to talk about him as one of -- not THE -- greatest. There is no way we can call this guy one of the best to have ever played this early.

He is a great player and has so much potential. But let's not crown him just yet until we see what he does under pressure if he reaches the Super Bowl.

Then their fans can fight Jim Kelly fans for "greatest QB w/o a ring" honors
I don't wish such pain on the Kansas City fans. Just look what losing those four straight Super Bowls did to Buffalo fans. Foster kids are more well adjusted than those poor, sad bastards.

Lotta hype around this guy. Its premature. Defensive Coordinators are getting a book on him.Seen it all before, Luck, RG3 and tons of others were the next great to dethrone Brady's legacy. Mahomes will fade too . I just dont see him having the longevity though he may accumulate some big statistics in a season for the fantasy crowd. Brady is a complete champion. He keeps himself healthy. he hands off the ball at the goal line looking for a win rather than TD stats. Can Mahomes stay on the field for 20 years? Doubt it. He failed twice against New England but he did start the pro Bowl, I'll give him that. Pats defense will have him running for his life again and throwing picks.

Last edited:
I am genuinely looking forward to Mahomes leapfrogging the QB rating record by a large margin. Mahomes seems to genuinely be a team first guy (hopefully that doesn’t change with fame); Rodgers is really a dckbag.

Mahomes is the new Rodgers
Rodgers was the new Vick

I’ve seen this movie before and I know generally the way it ends. Entertaining, good story, good cast, but ultimately a let down because the ending fell apart.

Rodgers was the new Vick

I’ve seen this movie before and I know generally the way it ends. Entertaining, good story, good cast, but ultimately a let down because the ending fell apart.

Mahomes runs circles around peak Rodgers.

Rodgers was the new Vick

I wonder if Rodgers like dog fights.

Mahomes is surrounded by a ridiculous amount of offensive talent. There's going to come a time when he's throwing to what Brady had in 06 (probably not that bad because nothing has for a team reaching a CG). Let's see what he does then.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back