PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dobson playing the Hernandez (football) role for the Patriot's offense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the game wasn't playing in NY, but I noticed most of Dobson's receptions were short ones, but also some were clutch 3rd down receptions gaining first downs. That kind of production reminds me of what Hernandez used to do for this team, he basically played the role of BIG receiver. He averaged 7.4 yards per reception, which was probably about half of what Hernandez used to get. What are your thoughts ? Did you guys get that feeling ?

I think it was more game plan than anything else - focus on the soft spots in the Tampa zone coverage for easier receptions, it was the same most of the time for all the receivers, not just Dobson.

Not at all. The accused was a YAC machine who they tried to get the ball to in space and who was a nightmare matchup wherever he went. Dobson is more of a conventional posession receiver with speed and go-and-get-it ability - unlike anybody on the Pats in a good while. He lacks the top-end speed and playmaking of Moss or the hands of Lloyd (as do most mortals on both counts), but he appears to be tougher over the middle than either Moss or Lloyd were during their time with the Pats. He's his own man.

Honestly (and this was mentioned several times during the broadcast) I don't think any of the young Pats receivers are really fulfilling a "role" yet, because this team doesn't know what it's strengths and weaknesses are yet.

Is Dobson the deep threat that we saw in the Jets game (minus the drops)? Or is he the short yardage, quick hit guy that he was against the Bucs? Who knows, maybe a little of both. By mid-season, we should have a much better idea what this kid's identity is. Until then, I'm just happy he looked more comfortable.

I think they are just trying to find ways to get the kids open and make plays like Sicilian said no one has a roll yet in the offense, the one thing Brady needs and has always had he's whole career as he's security blanket is a 3rd down back and a slot receiver they got that Sunday with Brandon Bolden he had a 100 total yards as the 3rd down back and the offense was better

He isn't even close, seems like Edelman is playing Hern and Welker's role.

Dobson is more of a conventional posession receiver with speed and go-and-get-it ability - unlike anybody on the Pats in a good while. He lacks the top-end speed and playmaking of Moss or the hands of Lloyd (as do most mortals on both counts), but he appears to be tougher over the middle than either Moss or Lloyd were during their time with the Pats. He's his own man.

:confused: He has top end speed. How do think he get so open on those balls he drops? Seriously though, he has "speed to burn."

:confused: He has top end speed. How do think he get so open on those balls he drops? Seriously though, he has "speed to burn."

Yeah, I believe Dobson ran a 4.4 at his pro day, that's pretty damned fast, not Moss 4.2 fast, but still pretty damned fast. I'm hoping he breaks one of those short routes into a long TD run.

Has Belichick ever forced roles on players or has he usually utilized players and their skills to put them in the best possible position to succeed? Aaron Dobson will be utilized for his skill set ... as was Hernandez, Welker and as is Gronk ... it's why our offense clicks.

Either that, or he's not comfortable with looking at deeper routes given the chemistry issues with the receivers.

Bing, bang, and boom. The receivers, to this point, have had trouble catching the shorter stuff. When Brady tried to go long in Week 2, they had trouble catching those too. They're going to have to get the offense and timing down better before Brady starts to trust them in consistently going deep.

I didn't get to watch yesterday's game, anybody see if they are still running the same scheme and routes or if the playbook has been dumbed down somewhat for the rookies? And I LOVE how you put football in parentheses lol

Yeah, I believe Dobson ran a 4.4 at his pro day, that's pretty damned fast, not Moss 4.2 fast, but still pretty damned fast. I'm hoping he breaks one of those short routes into a long TD run.

By top-end speed, I don't mean not faster than the top end of receivers, I mean the speed at which he is moving when in full flight. The 40 is run from a dead stop. Moss was not only faster in the 40, but he was probably slower in the first 5 to 10 yards when getting up to speed, meaning his speed at full flight was matched in the NFL only by a few of the world-class sprinters turned receivers. I'm not criticizing Dobson's speed at all; I'm simply giving Moss his props.

By top-end speed, I don't mean not faster than the top end of receivers, I mean the speed at which he is moving when in full flight. The 40 is run from a dead stop. Moss was not only faster in the 40, but he was probably slower in the first 5 to 10 yards when getting up to speed, meaning his speed at full flight was matched in the NFL only by a few of the world-class sprinters turned receivers. I'm not criticizing Dobson's speed at all; I'm simply giving Moss his props.

Man, not to hijack my own thread, but do you guys remember Moss' rookie season ? He was literally unstoppable. I think that was the best rookie season by a WR ever.

Rookie season stats: 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, 17 TDs

Anquan Boldin did catch 101 passes as a rookie, but he didn't average 19 yards a catch and catch 17 tds like Moss, which is still a rookie record.

Moss' first Monday Night Football game, he caught 5 passes for 190 yards and 2 tds ! 38 yards a catch !

He is playing the Dobson role. The Hernandez role, just like the Welker role, no longer exists, it was part of a different version of the offensive scheme.

Not only speed, but the ability to track the football's flight in the air in relation to how fast he was running was what separated Moss from everyone else and made him the best deep threat in NFL history.

For reference to what I mean, look no further than his first ever touchdown catch as a Patriot where he smoked three Jet defenders -- including 2007's Fastest Man Competition winner Justin Miller, who had the angle on him. He made them look like statues, but the way he tracked the ball, that looked certain to overthrown, exemplifies why he was the best to ever to it.

Dobson while fast and all, haven't shown that ability. He's trying to run under the ball to it's land point while not tracking its flight in relation to himself, which results in overthrows. Randy seemed to always be running ahead of it. The only receiver I've seen with comparable skills in that department is A.J. Green, albeit not as fast. Dobson needs to get better at that because Tom would rather overthrow than underthrow them. Once he does, they'll be a very lethal combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents