PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone else sick of hearing about Jackie Robinson?

I question why we keep celebrating Jackie Robinson and ignore Willie O'Ree.

It could not have been easy being the 1st black player in the NHL.

If that is racist..... Sign me up !

Well, now that you explain it that way...............LMAO. Your sick of celebrating Jackie Robinson, who was the first black athlete to break the color barrier in a team sport, and received the most harrasment by far. To reduce your stress level of having to bear witness to these celebrations, you would have the media also celebrate Willie O'Ree..................

Soul on Ice
The Willie O'Ree Story
by Mike Walsh

In 1958 a young man named Willie O'Ree made his debut in the National Hockey League. He was with the Boston Bruins for two games. In 1961, after two more years in the minors, O'Ree had a longer stay with the Bruins--41 games. O'Ree never played another game in the NHL.

This may not seem particularly significant, but O'Ree was different from every other NHL player who had come before him during the league's first 50 years. He was black, and there wouldn't be another black in the NHL for 25 years.

Hockey was about 10 years late when it came to integration. All the other professional sports, including tennis, bowling, golf, baseball, football, and boxing were racially integrated by 1950. Hockey was the holdout. It was the whitest sport. There were no black players, coaches, team owners, or sportswriters.

Boxing was the first to integrate with black champs Jack Johnson and Joe Louis dropping one Caucasian after another during the first half of the century.

Jackie Robinson integrated baseball to great fanfare in 1947, but O'Ree's breakthrough hardly merited a mention. O'Ree did not appear on the nightly news. The New York Times, for example, did not find it newsworthy. Since Canada didn't have the racial strife that plagued the U.S., no one called much attention to O'Ree.

O'Ree played successfully in the minors until the mid-1970s, and he won numerous scoring titles. To this day, he is regarded as a footnote in the world of sport. The hockey encyclopedias give him only passing reference, if any at all.

Last edited:
I am a complete coward

Unlike the complete coward Press Coverage, I have not problem admitting
who I like and dislike.

I have not have problems with people based on the color of their skin.

I do hate people who play the race card or justify affirmative action.
I believe PressCoverage falls under that catagory.

Last edited:
I do hate people who play the race card

So you supposedly have no problem with Black people, but don't like it when they talk about current and past discrimination, and also don't like programs which counter-act human discrimination?

Seems like you're very uncomfortable with race, actually. If you claim to be honest about race and your own racist tendencies, then why are you against programs which are honest about people like you's racist tendencies?

So you supposedly have no problem with Black people, but don't like it when they talk about current and past discrimination, and also don't like programs which counter-act human discrimination?

How long should we continue affirmative action?

Slavery ended in 1865 (Do you know any slaves?)
Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier MLB in 1947
Segregation ended in the 60's
We elected a black president in 2009.

When will everyone be considered equal and when will we finally abolish preference based on race?

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Last edited:
...Come to find out, the owner was a racist along with the team president...

I like to pretend that Yawkey Way is named after Jean. I also studiously avoid any sort of hint that she agreed with her husband on race and focus mostly on the giant pile of money she dumped all over damn near every charity in the city of Boston when she finally did die. I also figure she intentionally held on long enough for the Henry group to get in position to purchase the team (thank god) and for Theo to at least make it out of Junior High:D

who I like and dislike.

YOU alter my quote, but I'm the "coward?"

I'm locking horns with you and taking you behind the debate woodshed. Meanwhile, you're sending me unsolicited, rage-filled private messages. And you're ironically calling ME the coward? That's rich. Time to grow up, landlord.

No, you just admit to the entire forum that you're a racist. Then sugarcoat your consistently anti-minority theme.

Yes, you mentioned that in your latest laughable private message. Thanks for repeating in large font, in order to compensate for your inadequacy.

The feeling is quite mutual, Grand Wizard.

Meanwhile, you're the one bringing up race... Constantly.... And I never said a word about affirmative action. Other than that, wow... good job!!!

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Guy Pearce (or is it Guy Pierce?)

Trust me there will be tons of posts of mine for you to correct.
You might as well start a folder, so that you have all of my quotes
ready.

Did you see the movie Grand Torino yet?
Clint actually plays me in the movie.

Last edited:
who I like and dislike.

ya what he said:rocker:, when you need surgery do you want the guy who got into med school because he had the best test scores and the best grades? or do you want the guy who got into med school because of his skin color doing your surgery?

ya what he said:rocker:, when you need surgery do you want the guy who got into med school because he had the best test scores and the best grades? or do you want the guy who got into med school because of his skin color doing your surgery?

As it relates to this thread (Jackie Robinson), the greatest baseball players of all time have an asterisk on it, because MLB did not allow some of the best players in the game to play.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back