PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

interesting note on branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not that Branch was an elite talent or was worth whatever he made from Seattle.

His value to THE PATRIOTS -- and the reason he was worth a premium to THE PATRIOTS -- was the RAPPORT and CHEMISTRY between him and the QB.
Next week, we're asking Tom to take a guy who was 3rd string in SD and a guy who was in the past year, cut by HOUSTON and cut by Philly after a poor training camp...let's be honest here, REJECTS -- the worst WR corps in football...and to somehow hang with one of the most scary offenses I've ever seen

You can't have it both ways: you say it doesn't matter how good or bad Branch is in Seattle, what matters is what he can do here in our offense. But apparently it doesn't matter to you what Caldwell etc. have actually done here, they are bums because they weren't stars when they with other teams.

If the Patriots could maximize Branch's effectiveness and impact as they did, they can do the same for the others. And still be able to afford to keep enough of the rest of the team together that it matters.

I always wonder... if Branch had been drafted by the Texans, would have ever become anything more than a role player slot receiver? He might have been just like Jabar Gaffney. He looks like it now.
The really funny part is that Caldwell, Gaffney, Branch and Givens were all in the same draft and the two we have now were the top two taken, both in the second round ahead of Branch. I don't think either will end up as good as Branch although they're still in their first seasons with Brady and Gaffney joined midseason. So we'll see. One thing I do know - Branch cost Seattle $6M a year and a #1 pick - Caldwell and Gaffney are both signed next year combined for a $1.6M cap hit.

until any receiver leaves the patriots and becomes better while Brady is the QB I will refuse to believe that any Pats WR is as good as Brady makes them look.

every WR that leaves is worse elsewhere. every single one. that tells me to plug in guys like gaffney and caldwell while drafting guys in the hopes of 4-5 inexpensive years of good play. when they become free agents let them walk, especially when they are insisting on the final year of their contract being torn up.

besides, i can't say i've watched this team lately and thought "if we had a better receiver..." or "these WRs are killing them" or anything similar. The denver game was a long time ago.

until any receiver leaves the patriots and becomes better while Brady is the QB I will refuse to believe that any Pats WR is as good as Brady makes them look.

every WR that leaves is worse elsewhere. every single one. that tells me to plug in guys like gaffney and caldwell while drafting guys in the hopes of 4-5 inexpensive years of good play. when they become free agents let them walk, especially when they are insisting on the final year of their contract being torn up.

besides, i can't say i've watched this team lately and thought "if we had a better receiver..." or "these WRs are killing them" or anything similar. The denver game was a long time ago.

patriot receivers=denver running backs

The Pats wanted to keep Branch...FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. They offered him a contract, a VERY fair deal, and Deion and his agent declined. There was no way they were going to pay more than that offer, so they figured they would get what they can for him. It was an unfortunate situation, but as usual the Pats made the best out of it.

Not sure if anyone brought it up yet, but just for the record, Deion Branch IS NOT a downfield reciever! All these pundits (like Borges) saying they can't stretch the field because Branch is gone is ridiculous.

two words: bull sht

for the last time: it's not that Branch was an elite talent or was worth whatever he made from Seattle.

You know I read through this thread waiting to hear from the one guy who HAS to be heard.... The one guy who has to be the know it all. The guy who waits to put his negative bullcrap spin on things....

Well, guess what buddy? You win! You win the moron post of the thread.... Yeah the Pats would be much better off having Branch and his 13million dollar signing bonus and whatever ridiculous contract on the books for the next 5-6 years.....

I rarely miss the CHFF guys.

CHFF said:
Up in Boston, a city which includes some of the least knowledgeable sportswriters and personalities in the history of post-Neanderthalic man, Branch has been made out to be some sort of gridiron centaur – half Don Hutson, half Jerry Rice – a receiving god who instantly makes a team better the moment he steps on the field. They insist that the Patriots should have broken the bank for a guy who held out and refused to honor the last year of his contract.

Sums it up right there. Tom Brady made the Twig.

These people are morons.

Nice dig on the local punditry. These people ARE morons. Brady made Patten, Givens, and Branch "better than they are". Here's two few more names added to the list: Wiggins, Fauria. Have they done anything either before or after Brady that would make you suggest they weren't improved by him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News