PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Little Important Stat !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because for one, no QB on that list is named Tom Brady. On the dome stat, no dome team has ever advanced to a Superbowl having to win the conference title game OUTDOORS. Its been attempted 10 times. And there's a reason its never been done. They're DOME teams.

Thank you :rocker:

Here's another one for you

The NFL's passing yardage leader has never gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same season.

Year QB Team Yards Result
2007 Tom Brady Patriots 4806 ?????
2006 Drew Brees Saints 4418 Lost NFC championship
2005 Tom Brady Patriots 4110 Lost division round
2004 Daunte Culpepper Vikings 4717 Lost division round
2003 Peyton Manning Colts 4267 Lost AFC

And as I posted elsewhere, only ONE of those teams in the last 25 years (2001 Rams- beaten by BB) had a running game in the top half of the league. The Pats rushing offense places them 13th in the league, in the top half unlike those other teams.......

Last edited:

The NFL's passing yardage leader has never gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same season.

Year QB Team Yards Result
2007 Tom Brady Patriots 4806 ?????
2006 Drew Brees Saints 4418 Lost NFC championship
2005 Tom Brady Patriots 4110 Lost division round
2004 Daunte Culpepper Vikings 4717 Lost division round
2003 Peyton Manning Colts 4267 Lost AFC championship
2002 Rich Gannon Raiders 4689 Lost Super Bowl
2001 Kurt Warner Rams 4830 Lost Super Bowl
2000 Peyton Manning Colts 4413 Lost wild card
1999 Steve Beuerlein Panthers 4436 Missed playoffs
1998 Brett Favre Packers 4212 Lost wild card
1997 Jeff George Raiders 3917 Missed playoffs
1996 Mark Brunell Jaguars 4367 Lost AFC championship
1995 Brett Favre Packers 4413 Lost NFC championship
1994 Drew Bledsoe Patriots 4555 Lost wild card
1993 John Elway Broncos 4030 Lost wild card
1992 Dan Marino Dolphins 4116 Lost AFC championship
1991 Warren Moon Oilers 4690 Lost division round
1990 Warren Moon Oilers 4689 Lost wild card
1989 Don Majkowski Packers 4318 Missed playoffs
1988 Dan Marino Dolphins 4434 Missed playoffs
1987 Neil Lomax Cardinals 3387 Missed playoffs
1986 Dan Marino Dolphins 4746 Missed playoffs
1985 Dan Marino Dolphins 4137 Lost AFC championship
1984 Dan Marino Dolphins 5084 Lost Super Bowl
1983 Lynn ****ey Packers 4458 Missed playoffs
1982 Dan Fouts Chargers 2883 Lost division round
1981 Dan Fouts Chargers 4802 Lost AFC championship
1980 Dan Fouts Chargers 4715 Lost AFC championship
1979 Dan Fouts Chargers 4082 Lost division round
1978 Fran Tarkenton Vikings 3468 Lost division round
1977 Joe Ferguson Bills 2803 Missed playoffs
1976 Bert Jones Colts 3104 Lost division round
1975 Ken Anderson Bengals 3169 Lost division round
1974 Ken Anderson Bengals 2667 Missed playoffs
1973 Roman Gabriel Eagles 3219 Missed playoffs
1972 Joe Namath Jets 2816 Missed playoffs
1971 John Hadl Chargers 3075 Missed playoffs
1970 John Brodie 49ers 2941 Lost NFC championship
1969 Daryle Lamonica Raiders 3302 Lost AFL championship
1968 John Hadl Chargers 3473 Missed playoffs
1967 Joe Namath Jets 4007 Missed playoffs
1966 Joe Namath Jets 3379 Missed playoffs

Way more than half of those team were awful on defense and threw because they had to. We are throwing because we WANT TO. Many of those teams were not even any good, not making the playoffs, or barely sneaking in. None of those teams were 16-0.

Truly -- you find the fact that in the super bowl era the league leader in passing yardage has never won the super bowl? I find that tremendously interesting, and, since our team has that guy this year, certainly as relevant as stuff posted here all the time.

While stats can frequently be misleading, the fact that in 41 years this has not happened is, well, stunning. I can't believe it, in fact. How has this never happened? It's shocking.

I think it tends to support the notion that a balanced offense is important.

I wonder how many times the league leader in rushing yards has won the super bowl. I can think of at least a few in recent history -- Edgerin James, Emmet Smith, Terrell Davis, I think. I bet there have been several in the past 42 years. But not one QB yardage leader.

That's amazing.

Actually, Edgerrin James never won a SB as the league rushing leader. Emmitt did once. So did Davis.

As for the QB yardage leader, Easterbrook's article is off because he starts off talking about team passing and then changes to individual passing. In 1999, the Rams won it all and led the league in passing.

While no team whose QB lead the league in passing has won a SB, one needs to also look at where the team was ranked in the running game.

The Pats were ranked 9th in carries, 13th in total rushing yards, and 5th in rushing TDs.

2006 - Drew Brees (NO)- was ranked 12th in carries, 19th in yards and 5th in TDs scored. Below the league average in yards.
2005 - Tom Brady (NEP)- Pats were ranked 18th in carries, 24th in yards, and 11th in TDs scored. Below the league average in carries and yards.
2004 - Peyton Manning (IND)- Colts were ranked 20th in carries, 15th in yards, and 19th in TDs scored. Below the leage avg. in carries, yards and TDs.
2003 - Peyton Manning (IND) - Colts were ranked 13th in carries, 19th in yards and 9th in TDs. Below the league average in yards.
2002 - Rich Gannon (OAK)- 25th in carries, 18th in yards, 6th in TDs scored. Below average in carries and yards.
2001 - Kurt Warner (STL)- 22nd in carries , 5th in yards, 1st in TDs scored
2000 - Peyton Manning (IND)- 16th in carries and yards, 13th in TDs scored. Above avg in yards.
1999 - Steve Beuerlien (CAR)- 30th in carries, 20th in yards, and 16th in TDs scored. Below average in both the carries and yards.
1998 - Brett Favre (GB) - 18th in carries, 25th in yards, and 26th in TDs scored. Below the league average in all 3.
1997 - Jeff George (OAK) - 30th in attempts, 23rd in yards, and 25th in TDs scored. Below the league average in all 3.

What stands out is that, except for 2 cases, every one of the teams in the last 10 years whose QB won the passing rating had a team rushing yards total below the league average. The 2 anomolies were Kurt Warner in 2001 and Peyton Manning in 2000. All the rest of the QBs had lousy run games supporting them.

Also, an interesting note is that, while Beuerlein won the individual passing title in 1999, the Rams won it as a team because Warner took less yardage in sacks than Beuerlein did. Its also why Easterbrook had to change his argument mid-article.

kinda. Stats are just that. Stats. Indy can beat us in the AFCCCG (if we get there). Brady can win the SB this year. Just because it hasn't happened (the nature of the NFL makes stats bad, very small sample size), doesn't mean it can't. Thats my real point :)

The stats on the teams with the yardage leader QB is irrelevant to the Patriots. All those teams were one dimensional passing teams. And don't think "Hey, that's what the Pats are!" because it's not. The Patriots can and certainly have run the ball successfully this year. And don't think for a minute BB doesn't have them working their tails off on run-blocking schemes.

the Pats offensive line is perfectly suited to run blocking. It's virtually the same line we had in 2004 (Matt Light, Joe Andruzzi, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal & Russ Hochstein) and that team set Patriot rushing records.

It's interesting but not really important. Any "this never happened before" stuff will not always apply. The Patriots are testament to that. They are rewriting the record books and raising the bar to heights never before seen.

<blah.... deleted>

Nice thread hijack. There was already a thread about this. The thread was intended to be about how well dome teams do outside domes.

Nice thread hijack. There was already a thread about this. The thread was intended to be about how well dome teams do outside domes.

Sorry for raining on your parade. Who died and left you as god?

you should ask how many team have led the NFL in points and won the SB - there have been quite a few.

I mean in 1999 Kurt Warner finished 80 yards behind the passing leader (he finished 2nd with 4353), and the Rams won the SB. do you think if he had thrown for 85 more yards in the regular season they wouldn't have won the SB?

and last year Peyton Manning finished 21 yards behind Drew Brees. good thing he didn't throw for 22 more yards!!

Last edited:
you should ask how many team have led the NFL in points and won the SB - there have been quite a few.

I mean in 1999 Kurt Warner finished 80 yards behind the passing leader (he finished 2nd with 4353), and the Rams won the SB. do you think if he had thrown for 85 more yards in the regular season they wouldn't have won the SB?

and last year Peyton Manning finished 21 yards behind Drew Brees. good thing he didn't throw for 22 more yards!!

The point I was trying to make, and everyone seems to just miss it, is that stats are just that. I don't think that just because no passing leader has won a SB that the Pats cannot. Also, just because no dome team has won on the road in the north, or whatever that stat is, does not mean that the colts cannot come in here and win. Seems all the blind homers want to promote these stats as gospel, as long as it agrees with what they see through the patriots colored glasses.

Sorry for raining on your parade. Who died and left you as god?

Actually, he does kind of have a point. You did deflect the discussion away from the original point and there is already a thread about your topic.

It will be interesting to see how the Colts do in Foxborro in the AFCCG assuming both teams make it that far. They proved they can beat us in Indy last year in the AFCCG, but can they beat us in the cold outdoor stadium in front of hostile fans (hopefully loud hostile fans)?

I say no.

Actually, he does kind of have a point. You did deflect the discussion away from the original point and there is already a thread about your topic.

I seen the topic as being self reinforcement based on a small sample statistic. That opens it up to challenge . By using a similar argument based on a similar set of small sample stats, I countered that the original argument was false. I did not want to change the subject to discussion of those stats, only point out the futility of saying we cannot lose to the Colts because its never happened.

The fact that 15 of the 41 passers didn't even make the playoffs speaks to the fact that sometimes poor teams need to throw a lot. I would argue that this year's Patriots are not a poor team, but that's just my opinion.

why it any more or less important than the dome stat?
None of those teams went 16-0, either. Among other things, the Patriots are setting a precedent for breaking old precedents.

Because for one, no QB on that list is named Tom Brady. On the dome stat, no dome team has ever advanced to a Superbowl having to win the conference title game OUTDOORS. Its been attempted 10 times. And there's a reason its never been done. They're DOME teams.

Nice retort. So you will dismiss a stat that is 40 years long, but accept one that has only occured 10 times simply because of who's name doesnt show up on the list? For the record, I dont like stats either, but jeez...pick a side and have some sort of argument for it.

This is a pretty specious statistic given there are so few dome teams:

Colts
Saints
Lions
Vikings
Falcons
Seahawks (from 1976 to 200?)

For the most part, these teams have failed to reach the SB due to complete franchise ineptitude, not the disadvantage of playing championship games out of doors.

None of those teams went 16-0, either. Among other things, the Patriots are setting a precedent for breaking old precedents.

I agree, to go undefeated in the regular season is a major accomplishment. To do it and not go/lose in the Super Bowl is achieving a precedent that will never be forgotten.

Interestingly enough, no 16-0 team, has ever won the super bowl.

Interestingly enough, no 16-0 team, has ever won the super bowl.

Interestingly, when a team has gone 16-0 in the regular season, none of the 32 teams have won a superbowl.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back