PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Insider Buzz: Broncos Will Start Brock Osweiler for Remainder of Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
does the article say he will return as the starter? he could return and hold the clip board.

Right now Kubiak is saying Brock is the starter as long as Peyton is recovering. But this could get interesting if Brock continues to play well and Peyton thinks he is healthy.

I never saw brady as a game manager though. Brady won a ton of games with his arm alone but not at the same level of dominance he is now. Same with Ben.... A game manager is Alex Smith. He doesn't change the game with his arm or ability.

Manning will return when healthy....Kubiak....or a smoke screen?

Kubiak reiterates Manning will return when healthy
I agree with Kubiak's approach.

The first issue is Peyton's health. If he isnt healthy, everything becomes a non-issue.

If he is medically cleared and the team is winning, for Peyton to make a stink he looks like a complete ass.

If Osweiler falters and the Bronks lose games then Kubiak has the option of putting Peyton in.

If Kubiak puts Peyton in and he sucks (very possible) and Osweiler comes and and plays great, Peyton doesn't have a leg to stand on.

With that said, Kubiak could just take the BB approach and just say, 'I'm doing what I think is the best interest of the football team and what I think is the best path to helping us win games.' and say to hell with Manning and this sacred cow BS.

This kind of crap is exactly what everyone said about Brady and Big Ben in their first few years. Game managers etc etc. And they both won multiple Super Bowls. Someone has to make enough plays to allow the team to win.

First, I would like to take this opportunity and express my gratitude for calling my post 'crap' - thank you ....

nah... just kidding, but whatever.... I don't pay attention to clowns. Judging by your fairly old profile in combination with high negative rating to low # of posts, I'll allow myself to deduce you're a Donkeys fan.

I'll repeat what I said: Ossy was NOT the reason the donkeys won. He may have played a factor (being able to play in Kubiak's offense), but the MAIN reasons they won are: Pats injuries on both sides of the ball, especially on offense, and officiating.

I'll repeat what I said: Ossy was NOT the reason the donkeys won. He may have played a factor (being able to play in Kubiak's offense), but the MAIN reasons they won are: Pats injuries on both sides of the ball, especially on offense, and officiating.

i agree that Oz was not the main reason... but as for the main reasons the Pats lost, i think the fact that NE was held to just 300yds of offense while Denver had 430yds was a bigger factor... Denver owned the TOP battle as well... NE took advantage of some short fields to get scores and had one play break open for another... but overall Denver outplayed NE in terms of yards and TOP...

as for the injuries, Denver suffered many injuries as well.... they lost starting olineman, NT, and safety in that game, big losses...

and for some reason Ware being out seems to be overlooked... with apologies to Von, Ware had been our best player on the D and we simply havent had the same defense since his departure... i'd happily accept the Pats having amendola, lewis, eldeman, and dobson if that means Denver gets Ware back...

i'm a Denver fan but i'm objective (imo)... i think the BIGGEST reason Denver won was the Harper fumble... NE was on the way to victory before that...

as for the officiating, i think its easy for fans to think they're being targeted... every teams fans think this... but objectively speaking, Denver got the benefit of calls THAT game... the PI on Gronk was the worst call IMO... but there were other bad calls against NE too...

i don't think Denver is better than NE... i just wanted to make points from another perspective...

i agree that Oz was not the main reason... but as for the main reasons the Pats lost, i think the fact that NE was held to just 300yds of offense while Denver had 430yds was a bigger factor... Denver owned the TOP battle as well... NE took advantage of some short fields to get scores and had one play break open for another... but overall Denver outplayed NE in terms of yards and TOP...

as for the injuries, Denver suffered many injuries as well.... they lost starting olineman, NT, and safety in that game, big losses...

and for some reason Ware being out seems to be overlooked... with apologies to Von, Ware had been our best player on the D and we simply havent had the same defense since his departure... i'd happily accept the Pats having amendola, lewis, eldeman, and dobson if that means Denver gets Ware back...

i'm a Denver fan but i'm objective (imo)... i think the BIGGEST reason Denver won was the Harper fumble... NE was on the way to victory before that...

as for the officiating, i think its easy for fans to think they're being targeted... every teams fans think this... but objectively speaking, Denver got the benefit of calls THAT game... the PI on Gronk was the worst call IMO... but there were other bad calls against NE too...

i don't think Denver is better than NE... i just wanted to make points from another perspective...

If Peyton gets healthy who do want starting at QB? Just curious.

If Peyton gets healthy who do want starting at QB? Just curious.
Oz for sure...

i didn't even want Manning to return from last season, i hoped he'd retire after the Colts loss last year...

people keep comparing Manning to Oz as quarterbacks... and although even in that comparison Oz is better imo, it doesn't matter...

to me all that matters is that when Oz is in Denver can run the ball and when Manning is in we can't... if Denver wants to have any shot at a title, they need a run game regardless of the QB...

And what do you think the reason NE was held to 300 yard was if not injuries? a full Pats offensive roster would have annihilated your defense. The 5hitty *** Colts embarrassed you last year in the divisional round, and Alex Freaking Smith and his Chiefs did the same thing just a couple of weeks ago. Your defense doesn't match well at all with the Pats' offense as we all saw last year when the Pats put 43 points on that defense. This time around however, you guys just got super lucky at the right time, catching New England without Edelman, Amendola, Lewis, Dobson, and Gronk (for a portion of the game). So if you think that beating New England's practice squad along with some MAJOR officiating help in overtime is some sort of an achievement, well then.... at the end of the day however, trust me, if Seattle's #1 defense last year, couldn't handle our offense in the Superbowl, your defense certainly wouldn't/couldn't either.

Not the same. You may have had your share of injuries, but the injured players on your team are nowhere on the same level in terms of overall impact. Pats were without their top 4-5 offensive players (excluding Brady in the tally of course), and without their top 2 linebackers, and #2 CB.

Agreed.... and guess who muffed that punt..... - a practice squad guy.... Guess who should have been there fielding it otherwise.... - Either Edelman or Amendola, and I'm willing to bet my balls the result of that punt return attempt would have looked MUCH different.

Agreed again. I can appreciate a true objective opinion coming from any fan of any club. As a Pats fan, I don't mind the loss as much as I mind the manner in which we lost (officiating). At this point, I hope we hang on to the #1 or #2 seed at worst. The Pats hopefully should be healthy right in time for the playoffs, and with the early bye they had this year (week 4), a first round bye would be very beneficial. Assuming the above scenario, I wholeheartedly welcome any team into Foxboro come playoffs time.

Oz for sure...

i didn't even want Manning to return from last season, i hoped he'd retire after the Colts loss last year...

people keep comparing Manning to Oz as quarterbacks... and although even in that comparison Oz is better imo, it doesn't matter...

to me all that matters is that when Oz is in Denver can run the ball and when Manning is in we can't... if Denver wants to have any shot at a title, they need a run game regardless of the QB...

And that he can get the ball down the field. Just heard Broncos now have 3 passes of 40+ yards with Osweiler at QB and had 0 with Manning. I'm curious to see how teams will play him now that they have some tape on him and how kubiak runs his offense with him in it.

It will also be interesting to see how Manning handles the bench. I personally think he wants at least one more win to pass Favre and one more shot at a ring.

And what do you think the reason NE was held to 300 yard was if not injuries? a full Pats offensive roster would have annihilated your defense. The 5hitty *** Colts embarrassed you last year in the divisional round, and Alex Freaking Smith and his Chiefs did the same thing just a couple of weeks ago. Your defense doesn't match well at all with the Pats' offense as we all saw last year when the Pats put 43 points on that defense. This time around however, you guys just got super lucky at the right time, catching New England without Edelman, Amendola, Lewis, Dobson, and Gronk (for a portion of the game). So if you think that beating New England's practice squad along with some MAJOR officiating help in overtime is some sort of an achievement, well then.... at the end of the day however, trust me, if Seattle's #1 defense last year, couldn't handle our offense in the Superbowl, your defense certainly wouldn't/couldn't either.
well i'd say this years defense isn't last years defense... we switched schemes and D coordinator and added depth... as for the chiefs game, when your offense can't stop turning the ball over and can't get a first down any defense will be exposed... did denver get lucky catching you so injured?..yes i agree with you there... but last year examples don't apply to this year, i will have to disagree with you on those points..

Not the same. You may have had your share of injuries, but the injured players on your team are nowhere on the same level in terms of overall impact. Pats were without their top 4-5 offensive players (excluding Brady in the tally of course), and without their top 2 linebackers, and #2 CB.
how so?... Sly Williams has been a top end NT all year, TJ Ward is a pro bowler and so is Luis Vazquez and on an oline that already has issues... those losses were huge... also, Demarcus Ware missing is the biggest loss of all for Denver, he's been our best player on D... all that said, i still will give you the edge once Gronk went down... to me Gronk is perhaps the most important player in the league that's not a QB...

Agreed.... and guess who muffed that punt..... - a practice squad guy.... Guess who should have been there fielding it otherwise.... - Either Edelman or Amendola, and I'm willing to bet my balls the result of that punt return attempt would have looked MUCH different.
well you can blame BB for that... there had to be a better players on your roster to use...going with a practice squadder is on BB

Agreed again. I can appreciate a true objective opinion coming from any fan of any club. As a Pats fan, I don't mind the loss as much as I mind the manner in which we lost (officiating). At this point, I hope we hang on to the #1 or #2 seed at worst. The Pats hopefully should be healthy right in time for the playoffs, and with the early bye they had this year (week 4), a first round bye would be very beneficial. Assuming the above scenario, I wholeheartedly welcome any team into Foxboro come playoffs time.

i don't bl;ame you for being upset, i would have been upset too...

i don't see anyone winning in Fox... i think you guys should press maybe a little to get Gronk back earlier... that way you don't lose HFA...

how so?... Sly Williams has been a top end NT all year, TJ Ward is a pro bowler and so is Luis Vazquez and on an oline that already has issues... those losses were huge... also, Demarcus Ware missing is the biggest loss of all for Denver, he's been our best player on D... all that said, i still will give you the edge once Gronk went down... to me Gronk is perhaps the most important player in the league that's not a QB...

That's 4 injuries you listed. Compared to:

-Jamie Collins (our best defensive player and one of the top LBs in the league)
-Julian Edelman (best slot receiver in the league and has proven to be as valuable as Gronk, because he allows us to execute our short/quick passing game with near flawlessness)
-Danny Amendola (had 117 yards the week before when he took over as our #1 WR, and has played extremely well since last year's playoffs)
-Justin Coleman (our #3 CB who has played very well this year)
-Oline has been banged up for most of the season

Then you have the guys that went down during the game:

-Dont'a Hightower (probably our second best defensive player, and an integral part of our run defense - your team wasn't able to run the ball with him on the field)
-Gronk (nothing needs to be said)

That's 6 of our top players on both sides of the ball, including a very banged up Oline. With Hightower in the game, your team had 0 points and averaged 2.9 yards per carry. And even with Hightower out, we were still leading and moving the ball down the field, until Gronk went down. With Gronk down, we went from having 1 weapon on offense, to having exactly 0.

I also disagree with two other statements you made.

Your defense did not perform well in that game. Allowing 24 points and 300+ yards of offense to an offense playing with all backups/guys that were just called from the practice squad, is a terrible performance. Your defense has declined considerably in the last 4 or so games - both statistically and through the eye test. You may get a boost from Ware returning, but the boost we'll get with Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk will outweigh that, as that will allow Brady to get the ball out in under 2 seconds. TJ Ward and Sly Williams will be irrelevant, because their strengths are against the run game, and we don't run the ball often. We use the short quick passes to Edelman/Amendola/RB as a substitute, and we've been doing this successfully for over a year.

I also disagree that we desperately need HFA. Last Sunday's game proved we could very easily win in Denver once we get healthy. Your team isn't scaring anybody, and neither is playing in your stadium in a rematch. Just saying.

Last edited:
And that he can get the ball down the field. Just heard Broncos now have 3 passes of 40+ yards with Osweiler at QB and had 0 with Manning. I'm curious to see how teams will play him now that they have some tape on him and how kubiak runs his offense with him in it.

It will also be interesting to see how Manning handles the bench. I personally think he wants at least one more win to pass Favre and one more shot at a ring.
thats a good stat regarding the 40yd passes... i didn't know that... its also not a coincidence that denvers top 2 rushing performances came in Oz's only 2 starts... very telling...

i love Manning... but i don't want to see him back... maybe not even on the sidelines, could be a distraction...

Brady is a couple of years behind him in most categories and still is going strong. Wonder if PM thinks about padding his stats as well.

He still has a great opportunity to pad his loss and interception stats if he's interested.

That's 4 injuries you listed. Compared to:

-Jamie Collins (our best defensive player and one of the top LBs in the league)
-Julian Edelman (best slot receiver in the league and has proven to be as valuable as Gronk, because he allows us to execute our short/quick passing game with near flawlessness)
-Danny Amendola (had 117 yards the week before when he took over as our #1 WR, and has played extremely well since last year's playoffs)
-Justin Coleman (our #3 CB who has played very well this year)
-Oline has been banged up for most of the season

Then you have the guys that went down during the game:

-Dont'a Hightower (probably our second best defensive player, and an integral part of our run defense - your team wasn't able to run the ball with him on the field)
-Gronk (nothing needs to be said)

That's 6 of our top players on both sides of the ball, including a very banged up Oline. With Hightower in the game, your team had 0 points and averaged 2.9 yards per carry. And even with Hightower out, we were still leading and moving the ball down the field, until Gronk went down. With Gronk down, we went from having 1 weapon on offense, to having exactly 0.
i guess it all depends on perspective... to me stating "6 of our top players" isn't the way to view it if comparing to another team... 3 of those 6 players don't equal a Demarcus Ware to me... Ware was looking like a defensive MVP candidate before injury... NE is definitely devastated by injuries right now though... i don't want my point lost in translation... my only point was that Denver is facing impactufl injuries too... but NE has for sure taken a bigger hit so far...

Your defense did not perform well in that game. Allowing 24 points and 300+ yards of offense to an offense playing with all backups/guys that were just called from the practice squad, is a terrible performance.
you lost me here... only 1 team in the league avg less than 300yds of offense a game... i don't care how many injuries you have, 300yds is very low output...
Your defense has declined considerably in the last 4 or so games - both statistically and through the eye test.
you lost me here too... even in the game against KC with Denvers D against the wall all game due to an anemic offense, they still only allowed 300yds of offense... against the Bears they shut Chicago down... Denvers "bad" games on defense would still be considered solid efforts for other teams... and this has been without Ware... i think Denver's D has been better than you're giving credit...
You may get a boost from Ware returning, but the boost we'll get with Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk will outweigh that, as that will allow Brady to get the ball out in under 2 seconds. TJ Ward and Sly Williams will be irrelevant, because their strengths are against the run game, and we don't run the ball often. We use the short quick passes to Edelman/Amendola/RB as a substitute, and we've been doing this successfully for over a year.
i think you should be at least a little concerned that NE can't run the ball well... those sound like the same answers Denver fans gave in 2013 when people pointed out we couldn't run the ball... "thats okay the Manning gets the ball out in under 2 seconds"... in the playoffs a run game is typically needed... i know you had success last year to a degree with that, but your run game was middle of the pack last year so the threat was still there... but even still... you're right about Gronk returning... i just feel he is the factor that most tilts the scale for NE...

I also disagree that we desperately need HFA. Last Sunday's game proven we could very easily win in Denver once we get healthy. Your team isn't scaring anybody, and neither is playing in your stadium in a rematch.
i think its a slippery slope to think just because you almost won this game, that you're a lock to win next time because you'll be better... Denver may be better too... Brock may be better, last game was only his 2nd start.... Ware should be back... DT will never play as badly as his last game as well... just too many factors... i think its a fallacy to use that logic...

i don't know that you desperately need HFA... but there's no way BB or Brady want to go back to Denver... why even chance it?... lock down HFA and make everyone beat you own your home turf on your terms...

I think this kid is given way too much credit. Basically they won because:

1. Broncos defense against our depleted offense

2. Officiating

3. Broncos run game against our depleted run defense – which was pretty bad without Collins, and then got even worse when Hightower went out.

We were up 21-10 on these fools. And without that muffed punt, Gronk and Hightower leaving the game, we wouldn’t be talking about this kid as a the second coming of Tom Brady taking over for Drew Bledsoe. For the most part, they couldn’t sustain drives, and kept on going 3-and-outs. With a healthy roster (even against their healthy roster), and without a fixed job by the officiating crew, we would have ***-raped them.
Oooooooh, that GD muffed punt!!!

i guess it all depends on perspective... to me stating "6 of our top players" isn't the way to view it if comparing to another team... 3 of those 6 players don't equal a Demarcus Ware to me... Ware was looking like a defensive MVP candidate before injury... NE is definitely devastated by injuries right now though... i don't want my point lost in translation... my only point was that Denver is facing impactufl injuries too... but NE has for sure taken a bigger hit so far...

you lost me here... only 1 team in the league avg less than 300yds of offense a game... i don't care how many injuries you have, 300yds is very low output...

you lost me here too... even in the game against KC with Denvers D against the wall all game due to an anemic offense, they still only allowed 300yds of offense... against the Bears they shut Chicago down... Denvers "bad" games on defense would still be considered solid efforts for other teams... and this has been without Ware... i think Denver's D has been better than you're giving credit...

i think you should be at least a little concerned that NE can't run the ball well... those sound like the same answers Denver fans gave in 2013 when people pointed out we couldn't run the ball... "thats okay the Manning gets the ball out in under 2 seconds"... in the playoffs a run game is typically needed... i know you had success last year to a degree with that, but your run game was middle of the pack last year so the threat was still there... but even still... you're right about Gronk returning... i just feel he is the factor that most tilts the scale for NE...

i think its a slippery slope to think just because you almost won this game, that you're a lock to win next time because you'll be better... Denver may be better too... Brock may be better, last game was only his 2nd start.... Ware should be back... DT will never play as badly as his last game as well... just too many factors... i think its a fallacy to use that logic...

i don't know that you desperately need HFA... but there's no way BB or Brady want to go back to Denver... why even chance it?... lock down HFA and make everyone beat you own your home turf on your terms...

By the end of the year last season, Blount was our starter. Just as he is this year. Last season he averaged 4.4 YPC and this year he averages 4.2 YPC. Not really a significant difference. Over the last 3 seasons, Blount has played well against two teams - Buffalo and Indy - and has been invisible against pretty much everyone else. Last year as a team we averaged 3.9 YPC, this year we average 3.8 YPC.

So I'm not sure why you bring up the 2013 Broncos. We had absolutely no run game in 2/3 of our playoff games last season, and we put up 35 and 28 points against the #1 defense in the league and another defense who was ranked in the top 10. Playing Indy is what padded our rushing stats in the playoffs, which I am sure will happen again if we play them.

You had no run game either until you got lucky with Hightower's injury. With both Collins and Hightower back, I don't foresee much success on the ground for Denver in a rematch. And the run game is much more important for the success of your offense than it is for us.

We'll see if Trey Williams works out for us though. That was an interesting signing.

Still not impressed with 24 points and over 300 yards allowed to a practice squad offense. Our top playmakers who were sitting out match up very well against your defense. With them back, 40 points is certainly not out of the question. In fact, I would say it's very likely. Even with Ware back on your defense.

By the end of the year last season, Blount was our starter. Just as he is this year. Last season he averaged 4.4 YPC and this year he averages 4.2 YPC. Not really a significant difference. Over the last 3 seasons, Blount has played well against two teams - Buffalo and Indy - and has been invisible against pretty much everyone else. Last year as a team we averaged 3.9 YPC, this year we average 3.8 YPC....We had absolutely no run game in 2/3 of our playoff games last season, and we put up 35 and 28 points against the #1 defense in the league and another defense who was ranked in the top 10. Playing Indy is what padded our rushing stats in the playoffs, which I am sure will happen again if we play them.
this feels like cherry picking to me... at the end of the day you guys had the threat of a known run game last year and so far this year you don't... perception of how it got there, i don't know how that matters...

So I'm not sure why you bring up the 2013 Broncos.
because we Denver fans used the same logic on why it didnt matter that our run game was poor

You had no run game either until you got lucky with Hightower's injury. With both Collins and Hightower back, I don't foresee much success on the ground for Denver in a rematch. And the run game is much more important for the success of your offense than it is for us.
the pre/post hightower injury run stats have been well documented... maybe you're right... personally i think we'd still have amassed a decent day on the ground, but certainly not a 5+ypc avg... so yea we did catch a break in that regard... i agree

Still not impressed with 24 points and over 300 yards allowed to a practice squad offense. Our top playmakers who were sitting out match up very well against your defense. With them back, 40 points is certainly not out of the question. In fact, I would say it's very likely. Even with Ware back on your defense.
just to put it in perspective, the worst offense in football gains just under 300yds a game... are you saying even with backup WRs and Gronk(for almost the entire game), that a Tom Brady led offense is as bad or worse than the worst offense in the league?... Pats will be short on offense next game too, do you expect the Pats to have 300yds or less against Philly?... i'm not saying you have to be impressed, but whether you use eye balls or stats, i don't know how you can argue Denver doesn't currently have a top tier D... for me, i do't care who the personnel, if my team can hold Tom Brady to 24pts, i'm taking that any day of the week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back