PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In your opinion is Jadeveon Clowney a 'Prima Donna' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion Clowney is a BEAST. For him, its come easy in terms of always being the best. Without working hard he's been the best in high school and college because of his natural ability.

When in the NFL, raw talent isn't enough to be great, you have to work hard and bust your @ss.

It's up to clowney if he wants to be great. For people that say he is a prima donna its his agents that tell him what to do, or what not to do. He's a confident kid.

For people who say he has issues and they wouldn't draft him, well thats what coaches are for. Good coaches won't tolerate BS, and the good coaches will help develop him as a man and a player.

If BB had the number 1 pick, I bet he would take clowney and not think twice about it. BB would mold the kid, and make him a team first player like he has done with others in the past.

When you get a chance at a once in a decade type player, you don't pass on him, no matter how he might come of as a person. Coaches worth a damn will fix those issues.

I am pretty sure BB wouldn't like a player who did not want to do certain things in practice.

For people who say he has issues and they wouldn't draft him, well thats what coaches are for. Good coaches won't tolerate BS, and the good coaches will help develop him as a man and a player.

If BB had the number 1 pick, I bet he would take clowney and not think twice about it. BB would mold the kid, and make him a team first player like he has done with others in the past.

When you get a chance at a once in a decade type player, you don't pass on him, no matter how he might come of as a person. Coaches worth a damn will fix those issues.

My sentiments exactly.

Attachments

• amen brother.jpg
    amen brother.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 42
BB wasn't able to fix Fat Albert and he's a coach worth a damn....

BB wasn't able to fix Fat Albert and he's a coach worth a damn....

Haynesworth did have 2 all pro seasons, yes he was a nutcase but I don't think in the same way as Clowney. Clowney seems like a good kid with some maturity issues.

Haynesworth failed, but Moss and Ochostinko were examples of questionable attitude that smartened up when they were here, even though ocho didn't work in terms of getting on the field.

There's obviously risk in taking clowney, but I think the risk is worth the reward. Maybe he will end up like Sapp, HOF on the field, POS off the field.

Haynesworth did have 2 all pro seasons, yes he was a nutcase but I don't think in the same way as Clowney. Clowney seems like a good kid with some maturity issues.

Haynesworth failed, but Moss and Ochostinko were examples of questionable attitude that smartened up when they were here, even though ocho didn't work in terms of getting on the field.

There's obviously risk in taking clowney, but I think the risk is worth the reward. Maybe he will end up like Sapp, HOF on the field, POS off the field.
That's true but, Haynesworth could have been much much better if he had Wilfork's work ethic. I guess we'll see. I just think he has too many red flags for a guy that's going to be at least a top 5 pick.

I don't believe that for a second. If he had the #1 pick, he would trade down, probably get at least 2 first rounders in return, maybe even more (depending on how high the picks were). He would rather have 2 first rounders than 1 Clowney.
Well, Belichick couldn't "fix" Haynesworth, so I guess you feel Belichick as a coach isn't worth a damn?

I don't believe that for a second. If he had the #1 pick, he would trade down, probably get at least 2 first rounders in return, maybe even more (depending on how high the picks were). He would rather have 2 first rounders than 1 Clowney.
Well, Belichick couldn't "fix" Haynesworth, so I guess you feel Belichick as a coach isn't worth a damn?

Comparing the "impressionable-ness" (not really a word but you know what I mean) of college kid to a 9 year NFL vet is apples and oranges.

Haynesworth had nine years of doing everything wrong, and still getting validation for it in the form of pro bowls and all-pro nods, under his belt. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Giving BB Clowney (obviously a pipe dream anyway) would be giving him a comparatively clean slate. And frankly, Clowney does not have to live up to his unreasonable hype to be a worthy pick. A career like that of Mario Williams would be a worthy one for a #1 pick, given the history of top picks, and I don't see any reason why that production level is out of his reach.

Comparing the "impressionable-ness" (not really a word but you know what I mean) of college kid to a 9 year NFL vet is apples and oranges.

Haynesworth had nine years of doing everything wrong, and still getting validation for it in the form of pro bowls and all-pro nods, under his belt. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Giving BB Clowney (obviously a pipe dream anyway) would be giving him a comparatively clean slate. And frankly, Clowney does not have to live up to his unreasonable hype to be a worthy pick. A career like that of Mario Williams would be a worthy one for a #1 pick, given the history of top picks, and I don't see any reason why that production level is out of his reach.

Exactly, everyone who mentions haynesworth, is the only thing they have against the argument, I didn't see sb39 mention moss or ocho fixing their attitude, just haynesworth.

It's like some people are so hard headed. I state i think BB would be the coach to mold clowney, and then he says I don't think BB is worth a damn. Its almost laughable to compare a 9 year vet to a rookie.

Exactly, everyone who mentions haynesworth, is the only thing they have against the argument, I didn't see sb39 mention moss or ocho fixing their attitude, just haynesworth.

It's like some people are so hard headed. I state i think BB would be the coach to mold clowney, and then he says I don't think BB is worth a damn. Its almost laughable to compare a 9 year vet to a rookie.
But not as laughable as thinking that a head coach can invoke infinite power to solve any and all problems a rookie has.

Some guys just don't want to work hard. Some guys just don't have a solid work ethic. And sometimes there is just nothing a coach can do to change that. Steve Spurrier is a damn good college coach, but these problems with Clowney still persisted all year long.

But not as laughable as thinking that a head coach can invoke infinite power to solve any and all problems a rookie has.

Some guys just don't want to work hard. Some guys just don't have a solid work ethic. And sometimes there is just nothing a coach can do to change that. Steve Spurrier is a damn good college coach, but these problems with Clowney still persisted all year long.

We can go back and fourth, Clowney didn't want to risk injury this year because everyone was telling him he would be a top pick after his previous season. It pissed off spurrier but it was a pure business move that his agents probably told him to do.

We can go back and fourth, Clowney didn't want to risk injury this year because everyone was telling him he would be a top pick after his previous season. It pissed off spurrier but it was a pure business move that his agents probably told him to do.
Agents? Since when do college players have agents giving them advice during the season?

Anyways, I love how people keep using that "avoid injury" excuse to defend Clowney as if it was a good thing that he gave a half-assed effort because he was interested in his next contract.

First of all, that's a load of bullcrap. The guy was totally gassed after 8 plays in the UNC game. That has nothing to do with trying to avoid injury, that has to do with his atrocious conditioning.

Second of all, do you really want a #1 draft pick who will give a half assed effort the final couple years of his contract because he wants to stay healthy for his next payday?

Agents? Since when do college players have agents giving them advice during the season?

Anyways, I love how people keep using that "avoid injury" excuse to defend Clowney as if it was a good thing that he gave a half-assed effort because he was interested in his next contract.

First of all, that's a load of bullcrap. The guy was totally gassed after 8 plays in the UNC game. That has nothing to do with trying to avoid injury, that has to do with his atrocious conditioning.

Second of all, do you really want a #1 draft pick who will give a half assed effort the final couple years of his contract because he wants to stay healthy for his next payday?

I'm not going to jump into this because I've had this debate about Clowney more times to count. I just wanted to ask whether you seriously thought agents don't talk to college stars on the D-L?

I started to watch games of Clowney and Aaron Donald and they are both studs. Clowney is evreywere. Seems to disrupt every passing play. I think the Texans should draft him. In the 3-4 Clowney outside of Watt would cause teams fits. But I can't judge his personality.

I'm not going to jump into this because I've had this debate about Clowney more times to count. I just wanted to ask whether you seriously thought agents don't talk to college stars on the D-L?
I have no doubt that agents (or their representatives) actively try to recruit college players while those players are still playing. But there are light years of difference between trying to recruit a college player to sign with you versus actually giving professional advice.

In any given year, there are an awful lot of surefire future-1st-rounders playing college ball. And yet Clowney seems to be the only one who gave a half assed effort in order to stay healthy.

I have no doubt that agents (or their representatives) actively try to recruit college players while those players are still playing. But there are light years of difference between trying to recruit a college player to sign with you versus actually giving professional advice.

So if an under the table deal is reached between a college athlete and an agent that said college athlete will join said agency when he leaves college, you don't think that the agent is going to give the college athlete advice? And, more than agents, I'm sure plenty of people surrounding Clowney probably gave him the same advice seeing what kind of pay day he was going to get.

So if an under the table deal is reached between a college athlete and an agent that said college athlete will join said agency when he leaves college, you don't think that the agent is going to give the college athlete advice? And, more than agents, I'm sure plenty of people surrounding Clowney probably gave him the same advice seeing what kind of pay day he was going to get.
No I don't think that happens. How come Clowney is the only player getting this advice? How come we don't see surefire 1st rounders giving half-assed efforts all the time?

Fact is the Clowney apologists refuse to acknowledge the very real questions surrounding his questionable work ethic go above and beyond what you see from anyone else. They want to blame anyone and everyone but Clowney himself.

And all this has nothing to do with the fact that he was on the bench sucking oxygen after 8 plays against UNC. Was he afraid of getting injured in practice too?

Your letting your hate for clowney cloud your judgment. If you don't think there were people advising him to avoid any injuries then I'm sorry you're just being delusional.

The fact that every draft guru was saying he's a once in a decade freak that would go number 1 if he was draft eligible lead to him basically taking the year off.

And in regards to your argument about why other players don't do what clowney does, can you name a player who was told they would go number one even though they weren't draft eligible. It's a rare case.

It's good to debate, and I respect your opinions but I really think your wrong on this one. I guess time will tell to see who is right.

Your letting your hate for clowney cloud your judgment. If you don't think there were people advising him to avoid any injuries then I'm sorry you're just being delusional.
I have no hatred for the guy, I just recognize that he is overrated.
The fact that every draft guru was saying he's a once in a decade freak that would go number 1 if he was draft eligible lead to him basically taking the year off.
Why do people consider that a point in his favor? Why is having a guy give half-effort to save himself for a big payday something people say to defend him?

And, as I have said many times before, that does nothing to explain why he was totally gassed on the sidelines sucking oxygen after about 8 plays against UNC. What, was he afraid of getting hurt in the weight room too?
And in regards to your argument about why other players don't do what clowney does, can you name a player who was told they would go number one even though they weren't draft eligible. It's a rare case.
Yeah, you have to go all the way back 2 years to a guy named Andrew Luck. Or this year for Johnny Manziel. Or next year for Jameis Winston. All are guys who played college football and gave it their all even though they each knew they would be top draft picks the following year.

You think Jameis Winston is planning to play it safe this year? Or Marcus Mariota? Or are they going to be like every other college football top prospect and go all out?

LaVar Arrington made three straight Pro Bowls early in his career before knee injuries took their toll, and then an Achilles tear basically ended his career. I wouldn't say he was a major bust. He wasn't even the biggest bust out of Penn State that year; Courtney Brown went #1.

John Elway, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck didn't throw at the combine, and Luck is the only one who even did agility drills. Jarvis Jones didn't do any workouts. Tony Mandarich, Robert Gallery and Andre Wadsworth were all combine beats. Terrell Suggs disappointed.

The Combine is a hype factory that ultimately matters very little. The medical exams and interviews with Clowney that we don't get to see are going to go a lot further than how much or how little he does in his shorts and a t-shirt.

Spot on. Haven't watched a single drill of this year's combine. Don't intend to either.

It's far too over-hyped and the Michael Sam love fest was enough to put me off entirely.

No I don't think that happens.

There are numerous monetary scandals involving players and agents and somehow you don't think this happens?

How come Clowney is the only player getting this advice?

I'm sure he isn't.

How come we don't see surefire 1st rounders giving half-assed efforts all the time?

We do. It's one of many reasons why players go from being consensus #1 picks one year, don't come out and instead play another year, and drop. The difference with Clowney is that he's just the most recent example of it.

Fact is the Clowney apologists refuse to acknowledge the very real questions surrounding his questionable work ethic go above and beyond what you see from anyone else. They want to blame anyone and everyone but Clowney himself.

Many of his "apologists" have acknowledged his work ethic questions, but that won't automatically disqualify him from being a talented pro. Randy Moss had questionable work ethic and was accused of dogging it during games. He's going to end up with a bust and a yellow jacket in a small town in Ohio.

And all this has nothing to do with the fact that he was on the bench sucking oxygen after 8 plays against UNC. Was he afraid of getting injured in practice too?

He stated he was sick. Do you have anything of substance to dispute his claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes