PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IMPORTANT Research! [Well, maybe not...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would not trade higher than a 2nd round pick for Cassel. I think that he benefited from
1.) the Patriots playing one of the easiest schedules based on 2007 records
2.) the Patriots playing one of the easiest schedules based on 2008 records.
3.) Moss and Welker
4.) taking over a 18-1 team
5.) being in the Patriots system for 3 years
6.) playing 12 games against the bottom half of passing defenses.

If one includes sacks, his YPA is rather pedestrian.

My opinion of Cassel has not changed.

Do I think that the Patriots could get more than a 2nd round pick for Cassel??Yes but I just do not think that he is worth it.

Miguel - thanks for taking the time to answer.

If you are going to include sacks in figuring out his YPA, wouldn't it be fair to do the same thing for Brady in 2001?

Cassel:
563 attempts / 327 completions / 3476 yards / 6.17 YPA / 21 TDs / 11 Ints

Brady (2001):
454 attempts / 264 completions / 2627 yards / 5.79 YPA / 18 TDs / 12 Ints

Anyways, I think that Cassel is worth MORE than a 3rd, 7th and 2nd the following year that the Pats got for Tebucky Jones. I think that Cassel doing as good of a job as he did despite the injuries plaguing the team says alot about his character. And its not like people were actually clamoring for Cassel to replace Brady the way people were saying that Brady should replace Bledsoe. *GRIN*

Miguel - thanks for taking the time to answer.

If you are going to include sacks in figuring out his YPA, wouldn't it be fair to do the same thing for Brady in 2001?

What Brady did in 2001 had nothing to do with Cassel's performance in 2008.

On the flip side, you could also argue that he suffered from a fairly impressive number of incompletions/INTs that were mostly the receivers' fault.
On the flip side one could also argue that he greatly benefited from his receivers' ability to generate yards after the catch.

What Brady did in 2001 had nothing to do with Cassel's performance in 2008.

On the contrary - one can compare the two, while taking note of the differences and similarities.

Also, I am pointing out that if you are going to ding one for the sacks that he took and the yardage he lost then you need to ding the other. And then, in comparison, Brady's stats look even more mediocre than Cassel's.

Did you do the same in 2001 when you evaluated Brady's worth?

Last edited:
On the contrary - one can compare the two, while taking note of the differences and similarities.

Also, I am pointing out that if you are going to ding one for the sacks that he took and the yardage he lost then you need to ding the other. And then, in comparison, Brady's stats look even more mediocre than Cassel's.

Big deal.

Brady was not playing with a Moss and a Welker. Brady was not playing with 3 Pro Bowlers on his offensive line. Brady had one year in the NFL. Cassel had 3.

Did you do the same in 2001 when you evaluated Brady's worth?

I never thought of trading Brady in 2002.

Timing question. Let's say the Colts rework Peyton's contract sometime soon. When does the franchise tag # get 'set'? If it's early on might the Colts, knowing the Pats situation with franchising on the table just wait past that date to redo Peyton for cap purposes?

It is too late to affect the non-exclusive tag number. The exclusive number is based on the 2009 cap numbers as of April 17th - the last day for another team to sign a RFA.

Anyways, I think that Cassel is worth MORE than a 3rd, 7th and 2nd the following year that the Pats got for Tebucky Jones.

Not to pick nits, but I believe that the Pats received a 4th in '04, not a 2nd, for Tebucky. Regardless, the gist remains the same: I also hope that the FO can wrangle at least a 2nd & 7th this year, plus a conditional 1st/2nd/3rd in '10, for Cassel. Let the bidding begin, the higher the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3