PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm so PSYCHED - STALLWORTH !!!

Well you forget to mention Porter and Crowder coming off the other edge and in the middle as well.;)

Plus, don't forget about Will Allen. Stallworth is fast, but Allen gets the upper hand any day. Jason Taylor always owns Brady and it will be the same story again in 2007. :)
You're right. We'll probably split next season as usual, but the Pats will be in the playoffs as usual, and Miami won't be as usual. :)

Well you forget to mention Porter and Crowder coming off the other edge and in the middle as well.;)

Plus, don't forget about Will Allen. Stallworth is fast, but Allen gets the upper hand any day. Jason Taylor always owns Brady and it will be the same story again in 2007. :)
yup it will be the same story again.the patriots win the division and the dolphins playing golf in January :D :D

Is Porter going to be able to make it to the line of scrimmage with that knee of his? :p ;)

You guys should be excited. But Welker and Stallworth aren't Branch and Givens. Just keep that in mind.

well welker isnt chambers hahahah....mr. #3 receiver wes welker - leading receiver for the dolphins....traded to their rivals....

Yeah I can see why you're pissed at Branch, that was low ball what he did. (But then again, the Pats didn't want to give him the money.)

This misconception is so pevasive it even invades the thoughts of pats fans here. I know you have left but you can read this response when you return. I would have responded earlier, but I had far nobler matters to attend to. The uncensored, unspun Branch story in its entirety:

Branch was under contract with the Pats at the time. He and his agent stirred trouble by threatening hold out if the Pats didn't restructure his deal. He was a year away from RFA 2 from UFA (God, I miss those long term rookie deals! Stupid CBA). The Patriots took him at his word and tried to renegotiate his contract.

The Patriots had offered Branch as much money (+-) as the Seahawks eventually did. But Branch wanted the extension to take effect immediately. The Pats could not let him out of last year's contract. It was impossible for them to do. For, you see, if the Pats gave in, every player trapped in a rookie contract that he has outperformed would have done the same thing. The Pats offered the Big Bonus up front. But the big contract extension had to take effect after last season's contract had at least lapsed into RFA status in what would have been this off season.

Branch would not budge. He held out and gave the Pats no option but to let him seek a deal elsewhere, and when the Seahawks called, the Pats again were forced to let him go.

So you see, your first statement was correct. It was low ball.

Oh, and what did he average in Seattle last year? 5 catches and 50 something yards, I think? Hardly Superbowl MVP numbers. Dont be surprised if he ends up injured this year either.

I am psyched at this offseason,but it ain't over yet....We are going to go a long way and with Stallworth defense are going to repect the pass...I think Gaffney and Caldwell will do better also...You get open you will get the ball...

This misconception is so pevasive it even invades the thoughts of pats fans here. I know you have left but you can read this response when you return. I would have responded earlier, but I had far nobler matters to attend to. The uncensored, unspun Branch story in its entirety:

Branch was under contract with the Pats at the time. He and his agent stirred trouble by threatening hold out if the Pats didn't restructure his deal. He was a year away from RFA 2 from UFA (God, I miss those long term rookie deals! Stupid CBA). The Patriots took him at his word and tried to renegotiate his contract.

The Patriots had offered Branch as much money (+-) as the Seahawks eventually did. But Branch wanted the extension to take effect immediately. The Pats could not let him out of last year's contract. It was impossible for them to do. For, you see, if the Pats gave in, every player trapped in a rookie contract that he has outperformed would have done the same thing. The Pats offered the Big Bonus up front. But the big contract extension had to take effect after last season's contract had at least lapsed into RFA status in what would have been this off season.

Branch would not budge. He held out and gave the Pats no option but to let him seek a deal elsewhere, and when the Seahawks called, the Pats again were forced to let him go.

So you see, your first statement was correct. It was low ball.

Oh, and what did he average in Seattle last year? 5 catches and 50 something yards, I think? Hardly Superbowl MVP numbers. Dont be surprised if he ends up injured this year either.

Excellent post, very clearly states the Branch saga. But what makes you say, "Don't be surprised if he ends up injured this year either?" I don't see how you can say that. How can you be surprised when anyone gets injured in football, it's a violent game. And what makes you think that he MAY get injured this year? Just a hunch?

Excellent post, very clearly states the Branch saga. But what makes you say, "Don't be surprised if he ends up injured this year either?" I don't see how you can say that. How can you be surprised when anyone gets injured in football, it's a violent game. And what makes you think that he MAY get injured this year? Just a hunch?

History is sometimes blind. We forget how many games the guy missed due to injury while he was here. Like someone else said, he has only had one other injury free season except for last year when he missed a bunch of games due to the holdout, trade situation.

Wasn't he your top receiver last year? You don't think he will be a force in the middle of the field? I thought he was pretty good myself.

He was only good in Miami. Now he stinks.:rolleyes:

One thing you have to know about Stallworth. That is he usually ends up playing 3/4 ths of the year. In other words, expect him to miss 4 games somewhere in the season due to some type of injury. I know the Saints fans were happy to get rid of him, and the Eagle fans just don't care.

He was only good in Miami. Now he stinks.:rolleyes:

I'm assuming you guys didn't watch every single Dolphins' game last year, and if you didn't do so, you can't properly asess the talent of our players. Our offensive line was bad, that's the bottom line. Harrington struggled to get the ball down the field, a terrible combination. This resulted in a lot of dump passes and hot reads which, coincidently, those routes were ran by Welker.

Welker is an average player and will probably have around 500 yards for you guys next year. Congrats on getting him, I couldn't be happier that we got a 2nd round pick for a guy we signed of San Diego's practice squad 3 years ago.

I'm assuming you guys didn't watch every single Dolphins' game last year, and if you didn't do so, you can't properly asess the talent of our players. Our offensive line was bad, that's the bottom line. Harrington struggled to get the ball down the field, a terrible combination. This resulted in a lot of dump passes and hot reads which, coincidently, those routes were ran by Welker.

BB doesn't overpay for talent and knew EXACTLY what he was doing. I'm quite sure his buddy Sabin gave him the absolute "true skinny" on Welker's potential. That would have AFTER Sabin bolted the Eff out a dodge after realizing what a cluster-eff of a situation he was facing down the road.

The fact that we went at him that hard confirms it to me. This wasn't some backloaded 1 year rental aggreement, it was real compansation and at a steep price (draftpick-wise), no way it get done unless they KNEW it was the right move.

btw good luck with Culpecker next year. Or will it be Green? Perhaps you can keep em both :D

Welker is an average player and will probably have around 500 yards for you guys next year. Congrats on getting him, I couldn't be happier that we got a 2nd round pick for a guy we signed of San Diego's practice squad 3 years ago.

Somehow, that just rings hollow to me. A 2nd was VERY fair compansation, but I think you understand that you lost more than an Average player.

Last edited:
BB doesn't overpay for talent and knew EXACTLY what he was doing. I'm quite sure his buddy Sabin gave him the absolute "true skinny" on Welker's potential. That would have AFTER Sabin bolted the Eff out a dodge after realizing what a cluster-eff of a situation he was facing down the road.

The fact that we went at him that hard confirms it to me. This wasn't some backloaded 1 year rental aggreement, it was real compansation and at a steep price (draftpick-wise), no way it get done unless they KNEW it was the right move.

btw good luck with Culpecker next year. Or will it be Green? Perhaps you can keep em both :D

Somehow, that just rings hollow to me. A 2nd was VERY fair compansation, but I think you understand that you lost more than an Average player.

You guys are in for a HUGE disapointment in Welker.

I'm assuming you guys didn't watch every single Dolphins' game last year, and if you didn't do so, you can't properly asess the talent of our players.
it doesnt matter how many games you watch.you dont have the ability to asess anything never mind football .your nothing but a troll .:rolleyes:

Here's a nice item on Stallworth:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16891949.htm

Here's the thing. The Eagles would've been better off with Donté Stallworth on the roster next season, but it certainly isn't the end of the world that the 26-year-old Stallworth signed with the New England Patriots over the weekend.

Does it hurt? Yes. Is it a fatal wound? Not by a long stretch.

The Eagles honestly believe that the receivers they currently have on their roster - Reggie Brown, Hank Baskett, Jason Avant and Greg Lewis - are good enough. Even so, just because they lost Stallworth doesn't mean they won't pick up another wide receiver, either through free agency or the draft or even a trade, if an attractive one becomes available. Kevin Curtis is still an option.

"We're not in a panic mode, just like we weren't when we made the trade for Donté to begin with," Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said last night. "I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but we have trust in these guys."

And that is a big reason that Stallworth now belongs to the Patriots and not the Eagles. Another reason, of course, is money. When Stallworth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, began negotiating with the Eagles, he was seeking an exorbitant signing bonus - first $15 million, then $12 million, according to a league source.

The Eagles weren't willing to spend that kind of coin, especially for a receiver who missed four games because of a hamstring injury and caught just 38 passes for 725 yards and five touchdowns.

Yes, Stallworth was a reliable deep threat who last year led the league averaging a whopping 19.1 yards per catch. Yes, he was a model teammate, a good locker-room guy, attentive in meetings, effective on the field, unusually quick, difficult to cover, relatively egoless and generally pleasant to be around. Yes, Stallworth knew the playbook.

And yes, Stallworth was the big-play, deep threat the Eagles needed after Terrell Owens mercifully left town.

But, Stallworth wasn't durable. For the first half of the season, there essentially was a question every day about whether he could play. That was a problem.

You guys should be excited. But Welker and Stallworth aren't Branch and Givens. Just keep that in mind.

Branch and Givens aren't Branch and Givens. They were Tom Brady and Tom Brady.

Aqua sounds like he thinks the Fins will all of a sudden be a threat because they have Porter. I don't even know who coaches the Fins now (I'm serious).

Oh snap.Why didn't BB consult with the Phinistrator first.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back