PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm so PSYCHED - STALLWORTH !!!

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I can't contain my excitement over gettin Stallworth !!

In my mind, this has finally made up for losing Branch/Givens, and finally closes that hole in out roster. Plus Donte' is a better deep threat than Branch!

I am so thrilled with this offseason!
Just very very pleased.

Draft day is gonna be a blast, and next season, magical !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm a born and bred Saints fan, and I can understand your excitement over getting Stallworth. I too was thrilled when we drafted him. I hope he gets through rehab and gets better. Maybe that's why he's no longer with the Saints.

I do however think you overpaid for him because thats a lot of money 5 mil for the 6 to 7 games a year you'll get out of him. You may be better off if you don't play him until the last 3-4 games of the year so he can make a difference for you in the playoffs. Don't mistake this for sour grapes because if Donte ever gets his act together he could be the best reciever in the game. I just don't know if he's focused or dedicated enough to be that.

Hi, I'm a born and bred Saints fan, and I can understand your excitement over getting Stallworth. I too was thrilled when we drafted him. I hope he gets through rehab and gets better. Maybe that's why he's no longer with the Saints.

I do however think you overpaid for him because thats a lot of money 5 mil for the 6 to 7 games a year you'll get out of him. You may be better off if you don't play him until the last 3-4 games of the year so he can make a difference for you in the playoffs. Don't mistake this for sour grapes because if Donte ever gets his act together he could be the best reciever in the game. I just don't know if he's focused or dedicated enough to be that.

Nahhhh! One year deal with lots of options and incentives for the longer one, a year at a time....check out our "one year deal for Stallworth" thread. Only $3 mil this year.

You guys should be excited. But Welker and Stallworth aren't Branch and Givens. Just keep that in mind.

6-7 games a year? Wha??? I think that's quite an exaggeration. He has averaged over 13 games per season in his career.

You guys should be excited. But Welker and Stallworth aren't Branch and Givens. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah, but Branch and Givens aren't "Branch and Givens" any more either, are they?:cool:

I loved those guys when they played here, and I still like Givens but I'm pissed at Branch, but it sort of looks like they were somewhat the product of a system.

Yeah, but Branch and Givens aren't "Branch and Givens" any more either, are they?:cool:

I think Branch is still pretty damn good. Givens was hurt, we will see what happens this year but I think you're right, they have both lost a step. But you guys are overrating Welker big time (some of you at least.)

I loved those guys when they played here, and I still like Givens but I'm pissed at Branch, but it sort of looks like they were somewhat the product of a system.

A product of the system? I think not,Branch is one of the best #2's in the league and worked hard at what he did. Given's worked his way from a 6th or 7th round pick into the starting lineup to become a very sure handed and physical wr. They were very much a part of our last 2 superbowl wins. Although I'm sour grapes about them leaving I cannot deny their value,worth and dedication this team. They were outstanding football player's,system or not.

Last edited:

Yeah I can see why you're pissed at Branch, that was low ball what he did. (But then again, the Pats didn't want to give him the money.)

Givens may have been a product of the system, but Branch is a good WR.

Stallworth is not in "rehab." He is in the NFL's substance abuse program, which means he gets tested more and will be subject to consequences if he fails those tests. Its not like he's sitting in a half-way house somewhere.

A product of the system? I think not,Branch is one of the best #2's in the league and worked hard at what he did. Given's worked his way from a 6th or 7th round pick into the starting lineup to become a very sure handed and physical wr. They were very much a part of our last 2 superbowl wins. Although I'm sour grapes about them leaving I cannot deny their value,worth and dedication this team. They were outstanding football player's,system or not.

I don't see what your arguing with. I said they were both great when they played here, which I think is what you're saying.

But even before getting hurt Givens had 8 receptions for 104 yards in five games. And while Branch did reasonbly well, he had less catches and yards than he did in his second year in the leauge, and IMO he will never be as could as he was/could have been here, and the same goes for Givens.

That's what I eamnwhen I say they were a product of this system. They were great while they were hear, but I don't think they will be as successful now that they are gone.

Last edited:
Stallworth, Welker and Caldwell are all better than Givens is. Put it this way.

Donte Stallworth, Reche Caldwell, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson >>>>> Meion Branch, David Givens, Troy Brown, Bethel Johnson, Andre Davis.

What did Branch and Givens do for us in 05? Oh yeah, get us to the Division playoffs.

Meanwhile with Caldwell, Gaffney and Brown, the next year we are 4 points away from another trip to the SB. Proves WR isnt exactly the most important position on the field.

brady will make them look better than they are. just get a little open!!!!!!
he will find ya. gotta believe!! this season already loks really good.:) :)

So basically what you are saying is that he is better, faster, and had injury problems just like Branch.

I would rather have Stallworth than Branch. Stallworth is a fast, game breaker type. While Branch was a possession type of receiver that was good for a few yards, but didn't strech the field.

Its been a long time since we had a true number one receiver that has great hands and speed...

I think Branch is still pretty damn good. Givens was hurt, we will see what happens this year but I think you're right, they have both lost a step. But you guys are overrating Welker big time (some of you at least.)

I agree that people need to take it easy with the Welker/Troy Brown comparisons, but at the same time we won't know how good Welker can be until he comes here. He's not going to be having an 100 ctach seasons like Troy Brown, but I think he could be better than he was in Miami here, because as you know Miami has had offensive troubles, and I think our system is a good one for the type of WR he is.

I guess we'll find out won't we. Proving time starts in September.

Hey, buddy. You mean Welker, Stallworth, the 24th pick of the first round (Branch) and the 4th round comp pick (Givens). One minute from the SB last year without those guys.

You're right, you can't equate that with fairness.

Hey, buddy. You mean Welker, Stallworth, the 24th pick of the first round (Branch) and the 4th round comp pick (Givens).

You're right, you can't equate that with fairness.

I'd be suprised if we got a fourth for Givens.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back