PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm saying Week 1 Starters: Mayo and Wheatley

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I know Mayo is a no brainer. But I'm saying Wheatley is going to win the job over Fernando Bryant. The starting corners will be Hobbs and Wheatley. I know they're short but they're pretty fast.

Both of these guys are gonna be starters right from the start.

We'll see BM come in on passing downs and nickle packages. I expect Sanders and Harrison on the first play of the game but I don't expect a firm "starter". I think it's more of a rotation.

Mayo seems likely, I think Wheatley plays behind Hobbs and Bryant.

I agree. But, I don't think it matters much. The nickel gets lots of reps.

That's where I just have a gut instinct that Fernando is kind of a version of Duane Starkes. I know it's early but remember I said this.

This happened a couple years ago where Hobbs took Starkes spot.

Prior to this first game, I would have said no way. Bryant/Hobbs are the starters, but after watching Fernando give up first down after first down with 25 yard cushions, I almost puked. Mean while, on the other side, I thought Wheatley was very solid. It wouldn't surprise me after it's all said and done that Wheatley keeps his starters role. If anything, Hobbs might not officially be ready on week 1 and Bryant would have it by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to this first game, I would have said no way. Bryant/Hobbs are the starters, but after watching Fernando give up first down and first down with 25 yard cushions, I almost puked. Mean while, on the other side, I thought Wheatley was very solid. It wouldn't surprise me after it's all said and done that Wheatley keeps his starters role. If anything, Hobbs might not officially be ready on week 1 and Bryant would have it by default.

BOR has an excellent breakdown of how he saw this. Give it a look and see if it changes your mind a bit:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=94411

Last edited:
That's where I just have a gut instinct that Fernando is kind of a version of Duane Starkes. I know it's early but remember I said this.

This happened a couple years ago where Hobbs took Starkes spot.
I'd suggest some imodium or pepto-bismol for that gut. I read the articles critical of Bryant and disagreed when I got to watch the game replay. My buddy AWTE over at Planet has a nice coverage breakdown in my Ravens thread which reads to me as if Bryant played his responsibilities and didn't go for risky play. I doubt he'll be another Starks, but we'll know more over the next couple games.

I'd suggest some imodium or pepto-bismol for that gut. I read the articles critical of Bryant and disagreed when I got to watch the game replay. My buddy AWTE over at Planet has a nice coverage breakdown in my Ravens thread which reads to me as if Bryant played his responsibilities and didn't go for risky play. I doubt he'll be another Starks, but we'll know more over the next couple games.

Risky play? I mean he wasn't even in the same area code and gave up some serious gains which kept that entire drive alive. It was also against one of the worst pass offenses in the NFL. It looked so bad that I thought it was a zone that he didn't quite understand he was that far off the receiver. He's a had a solid camp, so we'll have to cut him some slack. Hopefully we don't see that kind of coverage this Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not saying it because Bryant is that terrible. I'm saying it that I think Wheatley is gonna be a good pick and I think they drafted a legit d-back who has a very good chance at being special.

time will tell, but we also don't have a big enough body of work for fernando. i readily admit we need to see more.

i'm just saying in the end wheatley wins the job by week 1. just my opinion. especially for the style i think the pats want to play as FB played cover 2 and it's tough to change habits and wheatley is coming off playing this in college

BOR:

I read your opinion that FB ws pulled early to reduce his risk of injury. ok.

What is your guess on how much he plays in game 2? 1-2 series? 3-4? a half?

Risky play? I mean he wasn't even in the same area code and gave up some serious gains which kept that entire drive alive. It was also against one of the worst pass offenses in the NFL. It looked so bad that I thought it was a zone that he didn't quite understand he was that far off the receiver. He's a had a solid camp, so we'll have to cut him some slack. Hopefully we don't see that kind of coverage this Saturday.
I'd encourage you to go follow the link Deus posted and check out the work of AllWorldTE over at Patriots Planet. He really makes an effort to discuss the coverages and decipher why that play worked - it's a much better analysis than I can do, but even before I read his post I didn't agree with those negative about Bryant's play.

I'm not saying it because Bryant is that terrible. I'm saying it that I think Wheatley is gonna be a good pick and I think they drafted a legit d-back who has a very good chance at being special.

time will tell, but we also don't have a big enough body of work for fernando. i readily admit we need to see more.

i'm just saying in the end wheatley wins the job by week 1. just my opinion. especially for the style i think the pats want to play as FB played cover 2 and it's tough to change habits and wheatley is coming off playing this in college
I like Wheatley, but I'm inclined to believe BB will want to ease him into playing a little more slowly. Wheaties may eventually beat out Hobbs or Bryant this season, but I think BB prefers a more measured training pace for DBs.

As for how much Bryant plays in games two/three, I think it depends on Wilhite and Richardson getting healthy, and whether BB wants to practice or test any specific coverages. Bryant as a cagey vet familiar with Dom's methods may actually get fewer reps just so the kids can get more.

Last edited:
I like Wheatley, but I'm inclined to believe BB will want to ease him into playing a little more slowly. Wheaties may eventually beat out Hobbs or Bryant this season, but I think BB prefers a more measured training pace for DBs.

As for how much Bryant plays in games two/three, I think it depends on Wilhite and Richardson getting healthy, and whether BB wants to practice or test any specific coverages. Bryant as a cagey vet familiar with Dom's methods may actually get fewer reps just so the kids can get more.

why would they barely play a new guy to a new system they are installing?

wouldn't you want to get him as comofrtable as possible?

why would they barely play a new guy to a new system they are installing?

wouldn't you want to get him as comofrtable as possible?
Are you asking why they might not play Bryant a great deal in game two/three? His old coach Dom is the new secondary coach, I would be surprised if Bryant isn't fairly conversant with the system already.

Let's look at our current CB pool:

Veterans: Hobbs, Bryant, Webster, L. Sanders, the new cat signed after Tank's IR. I'm treating Spann as a S.

Kids: Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson.

BB is going to keep around 5 CBs, Hobbs and Bryant seem to be locks. Wheatley looks like a lock. Richardson looked to be making the roster last season before being placed on IR, both he and Wilhite seem to have been doing okay in camp before recent injuries. L. Sanders is a career STs player, Webster is good, but has missed 12 or so practices, the new guy is a long shot. Richardson might clear waivers for the Practice Squad considering he was a low round draft pick in a poor year and dropped out of sight for a year. Right now I'd risk Richardson and keep Wilhite (not knowing injury status) and L. Sanders. That's 5, with the two rookies your nickelback contenders - I get them extra reps in preseason, especially if the vets appear to grasp the system. Hobbs started on PUP and needs to get his football conditioning back, I play him more and rest Bryant. That leaves me with three players whom I want taking extra preseason reps for various reasons, assuming Bryant is up to speed on his job. L. Sanders is garbage time STs. Those are my priorities.

Starks was playing injured. That only came out after he was long gone. I saw the completions in front of Bryant, and both were solid receptions. The receiver was tackled immediately. So he wasn't "25 yards off" the reciever. It looked to me as if they wanted to look at other people.

Starks was playing injured. That only came out after he was long gone. I saw the completions in front of Bryant, and both were solid receptions. The receiver was tackled immediately. So he wasn't "25 yards off" the reciever. It looked to me as if they wanted to look at other people.
AWTE has a good analysis for anyone who cares to take the time to follow the links to Planet and read him. :rocker:

Your analysis seems spot on. As you say, Richardson is a possibility, especially if Wilhite's injury is serious.

Are you asking why they might not play Bryant a great deal in game two/three? His old coach Dom is the new secondary coach, I would be surprised if Bryant isn't fairly conversant with the system already.

Let's look at our current CB pool:

Veterans: Hobbs, Bryant, Webster, L. Sanders, the new cat signed after Tank's IR. I'm treating Spann as a S.

Kids: Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson.

BB is going to keep around 5 CBs, Hobbs and Bryant seem to be locks. Wheatley looks like a lock. Richardson looked to be making the roster last season before being placed on IR, both he and Wilhite seem to have been doing okay in camp before recent injuries. L. Sanders is a career STs player, Webster is good, but has missed 12 or so practices, the new guy is a long shot. Richardson might clear waivers for the Practice Squad considering he was a low round draft pick in a poor year and dropped out of sight for a year. Right now I'd risk Richardson and keep Wilhite (not knowing injury status) and L. Sanders. That's 5, with the two rookies your nickelback contenders - I get them extra reps in preseason, especially if the vets appear to grasp the system. Hobbs started on PUP and needs to get his football conditioning back, I play him more and rest Bryant. That leaves me with three players whom I want taking extra preseason reps for various reasons, assuming Bryant is up to speed on his job. L. Sanders is garbage time STs. Those are my priorities.

Last edited:
I know Mayo is a no brainer. But I'm saying Wheatley is going to win the job over Fernando Bryant. The starting corners will be Hobbs and Wheatley. I know they're short but they're pretty fast.

I agree with Mayo and Whealty starting in week 1.

But I think it will because Hobbs will not be ready to start in week one. I think he is still working his way back and that will leave Wheatly and Bryant in the starting slots for the majority of presason.

Besides, I think they are better then Hobbs.

Both of these guys are gonna be starters right from the start.

We'll see BM come in on passing downs and nickle packages. I expect Sanders and Harrison on the first play of the game but I don't expect a firm "starter". I think it's more of a rotation.

Depends on what you mean by a starter. Belichick will be rotating his LBs. He'll also not overwhelm any rookie with too many plays.

If the game situation calls for Mayo to be in on the first play I guess he'll "start" - and I'm sure would see some time in the first defensive series - but its all academic who you term a starter.

If he's part of the regular rotation it doesn't matter who is in on the first play.

Depends on what you mean by a starter. Belichick will be rotating his LBs. He'll also not overwhelm any rookie with too many plays.

If the game situation calls for Mayo to be in on the first play I guess he'll "start" - and I'm sure would see some time in the first defensive series - but its all academic who you term a starter.

If he's part of the regular rotation it doesn't matter who is in on the first play.

I guess we're dealing with semantics, but I'd sayd 75% of the defensive plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back