PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Really Liking James White

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChessToCheckers

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I just re-watched the Cincinnati game and continue to be impressed with James White. He has been outstanding as a pass catching RB option thus far this season. My first impression (last year in training camp) was underwhelming, although a friend of mine raved about his college game. It seems like every week he gets better and better. Now he's actually gaining some yards with "power" running and his quickness is an obvious weapon. Seems like an overall trustworthy pass protector even though he did miss one last week. It's evident that Brady trusts him. Your thoughts?

Outstanding is a bit much. He is a good pass catching RB, but Woodhead, Vereen and Lewis are better.

He improved though, in some areas. Still can't get any Yards after contact and is poor in pass protection

Last edited:
It seems like every week he gets better and better. Now he's actually gaining some yards with "power" running and his quickness is an obvious weapon. Seems like an overall trustworthy pass protector even though he did miss one last week.

Agree. Improvement is the key, and he shows it almost every week.

Yeah, Lewis was special for half a season. But the dude cannot stay healthy. This kid is solid.

top 5 running back in total receiving yards, although some players right behind him have only played 5 games. call him a top 10 receiving RB. his YAC seems decent to me--actually higher than his average reception. his averages are very similar to le'veon bell's.

iknPpkU.jpg

Great stat, bbobbo,

Something interesting that I just noticed....

White is average 8.5 yards per catch but is averaging 10.5 yards after the catch.

That just tells me that all of his catches are pretty much behind the line of scrimmage. That's not crazy for an RB, but I recall players like Faulk and Vereen actually running some true routes and getting the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. Perhaps that's just not a part of White's game yet.

Outstanding is a bit much. He is a good pass catching RB, but Woodhead, Vereen and Lewis are better.

He improved though, in some areas. Still can't get any YAC and is poor in pass protection
I'm not so sure Ben VaReene is better to be honest. Sweet feet is the most dangerous with the ball in space aside behind Lewis. Most amazing thing about Lewis is he's low key pretty hard to take down for a small guy.

top 5 running back in total receiving yards, although some players right behind him have only played 5 games. call him a top 10 receiving RB. his YAC seems decent to me--actually higher than his average reception. his averages are very similar to le'veon bell's.

iknPpkU.jpg
What i meant by YAC is Yards after contact, not after catch. I should've been clearer

iknPpkU.jpg
I mean.. surely there arent many teans that use RBs as receivers than the Pats. He is the 2nd most targeted RB, it's not that surprising he is up there.

He is still very mediocre. Good in the passing attack, bad in everything else. I dont agree with the amount of praise he is receiving. He beat a 35 year old LB in KarlosbDansby, he cant cover for **** anymore

here are receiving stats for RBs from the 2015 season. at least white's rushing average has improved--last year it was abysmal. and his receiving average was comparable to dion lewis'.

UVzJ6it.jpg

We needn't compare White to others to appreciate that he does indeed bring something of value to this team. Two years ago, just as was the case before Vereen helped out (Big time) in a SB year, there was talk HE was useless as well.

White IS what he is : and for now, that is yet another interesting option for Brady. I like him because I don't expect a HoFer.

James White is a great example of a player who has taken advantage of his opportunities and done a dependable and adequate job when he got the chance. In other words he's "done his job". HOWEVER that being said, he is eminently upgradeable. Even with his improvement in carrying the ball, he now just a bad runner and no longer horrible. Faulk, Woodhead,Vereen, and Lewis were ALL better at the position. Foster will probably pass him with more experience.

I can APPRECIATE what he's done, but I can't wait to see his replacement. Nothing personal here, just business. But until that day, he's adequately filled the job.

What i meant by YAC is Yards after contact, not after catch. I should've been clearer

Thanks for clarifying, but that actually makes it weirder, right?

After all, that means he has 215 receiving yards from scrimmage but 255 yards after contact.

Does that mean he is often contacted behind the line of scrimmage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back