PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Getting Excited About Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes playing great but needs to work on ball security. Great signing so far.

I know this is looking way too far ahead, but he's a UFA after the year. :(

I'd hate to see the Pats lose another versatile RB

2 weeks in isn't enough to make a definitive call on Lewis. And to no one's great surprise he is going to be moving into the doghouse very soon if he doesn't get the fumbling under control.

With that said, minus the fumbles, if these last two games are what we can expect from Lewis, IMHO Lewis will be the most potent all purpose back we have had in years.
If that proves true and if Dobson is coming around, the Patriots offense is going to tear up the field.

When this O hits their stride, oh brother are they going to cause some serious embarrassment for some defensive coordinators out there.

probably he will be in doghouse against Jags, but boy he is good

I would be more excited if BB had decided to run a bit more.

He is playing well, he is very good catching the deep ball, but he needs to fix the fumbling issues before BB benches him for the remainder of the year!

If the pats came to him know with a say 1.8 mill a year for 3 years Im sure it could get a deal done.

Can one of the many football scientists on this board tell me what Dion did wrong on that fumble? Because it got punched the **** out of there in a way that made me think it was a great defensive play not Ridley 2: Oopsie's reckoning.

I had no idea he had such an impressive college career. This from Wikipedia:

"During twelve regular season games of the 2009 season, Lewis accumulated 1,640 rushing yards rushing and 17 rushing touchdowns.[3] He rushed for 180 yards and two touchdowns in an October 2009 victory over Big East rival Rutgers for which he was named Big East Conference Offensive Player of the Week and featured in Sports Illustrated.[4][5] Following this and later performances, he was mentioned in several news outlets as a possible Heisman Trophy candidate.[6] Lewis had his sixth 100-yard plus rushing game of the season against Syracuse.

He rushed for more than 1,799 yards during the 2009 season and broke Craig "Ironhead" Heyward's record at Pittsburgh for rushes in a single game with 47 against University of Cincinnati in the Big East Championship game, totaling 194 rushing yards, three touchdowns, as well as five catches for 34 yards.[7]

Lewis was the only freshman and one of four running backs named among 15 "Players to Watch" for the 2009 Walter Camp Player of the Year award.[8] He was also among 16 semifinalists for the Maxwell Award,[9] and was one of ten semifinalists, and the only true freshman, for the Doak Walker Award.[10] Lewis was also honored as a "Midseason All-American" by CBSSports.com and SI.com.[10]

Lewis set the Big East freshman rushing record previously held by Tony Dorsett.[11] The lightly recruited running back was third nationally in rushing (1,799 yards, 5.5 avg) and broke LeSean Mccoy's record for most points by a Pitt Freshman on December 5, 2009 for the Big East championship against the Cincinnati Bearcats.[8] He broke Dorsett's record for most rushing yards by a Pitt freshman during the 2009 Meineke Car Care Bowl, after which he was named the game's MVP.[12]

Following the conclusion of the regular season, Lewis was named the National Freshman of the Year by the Sporting News and CBSSports.com,[13] as well as the Offensive Freshman of the Year by College Football News.[14] He was also named a second team All-American by the Associated Press, Sporting News, CBSSports.com, Sports Illustrated, Rivals.com, and Scout.com.[15] Lewis was the only freshman named to the first or second AP All-American team.[16] Lewis was named both the Big East Conference Rookie of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year[17] as well as the Eastern College Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year.[18]

Heading into the 2010, the Sporting News, in its 2010 College Football Yearbook, called Lewis "the game's most complete runner" and listed him as one of the five leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy.[19] The Sporting News also listed Lewis as a first-team preseason All-American.[20] Early January, Lewis declared he would enter the 2011 NFL Draft and forgo his junior and senior seasons.

College Stats Edit
Year Team Att Yards Average TDs Receptions Yards TDs
2009 Pittsburgh 325 1,799 5.5 17 25 189 1
2010 Pittsburgh 219 1,061 4.8 13 27 216 0
College Totals 544 2,860 5.3 30 52 405 1"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dion_Lewis

Last edited:
I know this is looking way too far ahead, but he's a UFA after the year. :(

I'd hate to see the Pats lose another versatile RB

Actually, according to Miguel (and Over The Cap), Dion is a Restricted Free Agent next season so we can keep him if we want to keep him.

"The Pats will have until the start of the 2016 League Year to (sign) these potential RFAs (Josh Kline, James Develin, Dion Lewis, Brian Tyms, Sealver Siliga, and Darius Fleming). The 2015 tenders were $3.354 million for the 1st round tender, $2.356 million for the 2nd round tender, and $1.542 million for original round tenders. The minimum increase is 5%. The maximum increase is 10%"

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/...riots-offseason-scorecard-updated-on-7302015/

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-england-patriots/

Dion was originally selected in the 5th round so if we use the "original round" tender, we will get the 5th round pick of anyone that decides to sign him (if we don't match the offer).

Last edited:
Actually, according to Miguel (and Over The Cap), Dion is a Restricted Free Agent next season so we can keep him if we want to keep him.

"The Pats will have until the start of the 2016 League Year to (sign) these potential RFAs (Josh Kline, James Develin, Dion Lewis, Brian Tyms, Sealver Siliga, and Darius Fleming). The 2015 tenders were $3.354 million for the 1st round tender, $2.356 million for the 2nd round tender, and $1.542 million for original round tenders. The minimum increase is 5%. The maximum increase is 10%"

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/...riots-offseason-scorecard-updated-on-7302015/

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-england-patriots/

Dion was originally selected in the 5th round so if we use the "original round" tender, we will get the 5th round pick of anyone that decides to sign him (if we don't match the offer).

That's good to know, thanks for the correction! I was originally looking on spotrac.com (here) and they had him as a UFA for 2015.

That's good to know, thanks for the correction! I was originally looking on spotrac.com (here) and they had him as a UFA for 2015.

No problem. I've found that sportstrac is not always the best source. IMO, Miguel and Overthecap are better.

I was curious about his background, his family, hometown, schooling, etc. I really didn't find much but this was an article most will like

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/09/dion_lewis_journey_new_england.html

One of the most interesting things to note in this article is that Lewis' first exposure to the Pats was last November just before they left for Indy. and he was not signed until the week of our first playoff game. I wouldn't be surprised that someone had started a thread that said Dion Lewis signed to a futures contract.....and then we all promptly ignored it. I wonder what other players we like have slipped in here as, so and so brought in for a workout.

I doesn't happen often but it DOES happen.

That tape was revealing for 3 reasons.

First Lewis is a true RB, a between the T's power back running iso's and power plays with a FB, and getting the ball 30+ times. That's who is in his own mind. He doesn't see himself as a limited scat back. Now I don't want him to carry the ball than much, but I want my RB to THINK he can.

Second was a screen I saw that said he hadn't fumbled in over 250 carries. So clearly he isn't a fumbler by nature, and while it will take half a season to confirm, I bet his fumbling will be less of an issue at the end of the season than it is, now. Hope I'm right.

Third, it was clear that despite his size, Lewis took a pounding and kept running for the full 40 carries. I don't think there was a single one where he didn't get yards after contact.

No Martha, ;) He's the one. This is going to be OUR Darren Sproules, or our second chance at Danny Woodhead. Cadet can be an asset out of the backfield, but he'll never be much of run threat. The same for White, and I'd rather have Cadet running the ball than him. Dion Lewis IS the man who replaced Shane Vareen......and more.

Lewis can do more than Vareen. Lewis is a much more reliable runner in more running plays, and except for his catch radius, it doesn't look like we've lost much in the hands area, if anything. I think for a few games (like now), Lewis is a perfectly adequate 3 down lead back. And to prove it he has produced 275 all purpose yds in the first 2 games. Who has done better. I doubt many Not the hugely well paid Lashon McCoy (215)

Now that being said, I can't help but notice that some people can't WAIT to jump off the LGB bandwagon. You know the guy who made every key first down or GL Td, and averaged close to 5 ypc last season. I know he hasn't done much this season, but he didn't do much at ALL last season before Halloween, because he wasn't even here.

So I don't understand why some people are so quick to toss aside a KNOWN asset, just because he hasn't been around for the last 2 weeks. It's like there suddenly is a shiny new toy to take our attention. :rolleyes:

BOTTOM LINE - Blount is going to play a big roll in the RB game...but so is Lewis. He is not only going to make us forget Shane Vareen (thanks Shane), but he'll expand on the role.

BTW- this is just further proof that you should NEVER spend either a lot of capital in the draft or in the cap on a RB. Karlos Williams and Dion Lews 2 good examples to show you can always find capable RB's for a decent price.

Last edited:
BTW- in the end I know little about his background except he grew up in Albany and seems very well spoken and intelligent. I like to know if he finished school, etc If you know something, it would be helpful. This kid looks like he's going to be around for the next 3 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back