PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'll admit i was wrong - Amendola didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendola is a player I want to see cut this offseason. Poor separation ability, can't run crisp routes, poor catch radius, poor hands,...should I go on?? He'll never be healthy, it's always something with this guy. We really needed him to step up in this game and he couldn't even catch one pass against a poor secondary?! Simply inexcusable.

-he played without one of his groin muscles connected.
-costs more to cut

We should spam the above every time someone suggests cutting him.

We may need to make a macro

Kenny Britt will be in training camp next year for the pats on veteran's minimum salary, bank on it.

Hopefully that guy can resurrect his career here

Many feel that way. While I think it's a possibility due to providing us (potentially) good value for a lower risk gamble, I'm not as convinced as others due to the fact that you need to have tremendous smarts to pick up our system, not to mention a positive team-first attitude. I don't believe that Britt has either of those traits.

I'd have no problem with it as a fan if Belichick thought it could pay off, but I don't think that should be our only move either. We need to address both the TE and WR corp by bringing in or drafting (not at WR) some additional talent. If Belichick wants to bring Britt in the mix for cheap, all the better--I suppose, even if I don't believe it'll happen. At least we're addressing things that way.

I agree, Britt will only be part of the reworking of the receiver position. Honestly, things are not looking very bright for next season with receivers. Hopefully, we can resign Edelman and Talib (Blount if its near minimum). Amendola is looking like a mistake, but no viable options until the end of next season so we kinda have to keep him.

My two draft binkies I hope we bring in are Jace Amaro and Hageman. Obviously, I think there is more of a need at tight end and would be happy if we could grab ASJ, Ebron, or Amaro. But Amaro is my first choice. Imagine having both Amaro and Gronk running seam routes!

A lot of next season will depend on the development of Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Moe, and Harrison. Hopefully one of those guys can have an Alshon Jeffrey type second season. The talent is clearly there with Dobson, but injuries caught up with him.

Thompkins was barely passable in spot duty, but came through with some clutch plays. But there is one word that comes to my mind when I watch him play.... SPAZ!!! His routes are never that great, he always leaves his feet (maybe he learned this from Brandon Lloyd?), and his hands go crazy when trying to catch the ball. The biggest thing is consistency with our rookie receivers, not just Thompkins, but everyone! They would have strong games and then follow them with some of the worst I have seen in my life.

Brady needs to do everything he can to get with Dola, Dobson, KT, and Boyce in the offseason to get on the same page, build rapport, and get these receivers doing what they need to do to become studs. Realistically, our receiving corps next season depends on the development of our rookie receivers.

PS Was impressed with Collie today. Guy gets it, Amendola not so much

I agree, Britt will only be part of the reworking of the receiver position. Honestly, things are not looking very bright for next season with receivers. Hopefully, we can resign Edelman and Talib (Blount if its near minimum). Amendola is looking like a mistake, but no viable options until the end of next season so we kinda have to keep him.

My two draft binkies I hope we bring in are Jace Amaro and Hageman. Obviously, I think there is more of a need at tight end and would be happy if we could grab ASJ, Ebron, or Amaro. But Amaro is my first choice. Imagine having both Amaro and Gronk running seam routes!

A lot of next season will depend on the development of Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Moe, and Harrison. Hopefully one of those guys can have an Alshon Jeffrey type second season. The talent is clearly there with Dobson, but injuries caught up with him.

Thompkins was barely passable in spot duty, but came through with some clutch plays. But there is one word that comes to my mind when I watch him play.... SPAZ!!! His routes are never that great, he always leaves his feet (maybe he learned this from Brandon Lloyd?), and his hands go crazy when trying to catch the ball. The biggest thing is consistency with our rookie receivers, not just Thompkins, but everyone! They would have strong games and then follow them with some of the worst I have seen in my life.

Brady needs to do everything he can to get with Dola, Dobson, KT, and Boyce in the offseason to get on the same page, build rapport, and get these receivers doing what they need to do to become studs. Realistically, our receiving corps next season depends on the development of our rookie receivers.

PS Was impressed with Collie today. Guy gets it, Amendola not so much

I think it all depends on the future of Edelman.

If he stays, then we'll still have him, Amendola, the hopefuls in Boyce/Dobson, and one of the "usual" vet retreads like Collie etc. I am not even counting Thompkins in the mix. If they keep him as a WR5 or something, fine...if not, fine too.

If Edelman leaves, I think that moves Amendola into his role as more of the quicker route/slot focus, so we'll need to go out and bring in some kind of reasonable FA wide receiver to replace that loss (or "those" losses, however you see it).

I'm not personally as worried about Amendola, and the development of ONE of Dobson/Boyce, but I am worried about :

--the potential loss of Edelman

--the lack of an outside receiver, along with a physical receiver

--the depth itself

Normally, I don't lobby for any of the "big moves" in terms of WR, but I'm beginning to think that we'll need to spend some more money in order to help to make Brady's options more reasonable.

this I agree with. But only because if Welker was with the Pats, Talib probably would have played the entire game and the defense wouldn't have sucked so bad.

So Talib is the defense :confused:

Yeah, uhmmm...no.

The whole team sucked ass today.

Yeah, uhmmm...no.

We were going to have to play lights out today to have any kind of chance at winning under these circumstances. That was the reality, and most here did not want to face that.

DEN has a very capable 7th ranked run defense, which was going to bring our run game back down to earth very quickly, and our offensive receiving options (or lack thereof) was going to even up any advantage that we had on them in the passing game.

Many argued to the contrary, throwing out ridiculous stats about how our offense put up more points in the second half of the season than DEN, but I can't imagine that they honestly ever believed what they were trying to argue.

Until we address any combination of 2/3: receiving options, secondary, pass rush, we are going to be very competitive but likely to fall short unless we get the right setting and the right circumstance. The injury situation has not helped in these past couple/few years either, but.....

the offense's inability to score worth a damn in the past many big game settings (mostly in the teens every time) is really shortening our opportunities. The receiving options need to be addressed. The choices of Dobson/Boyce are great for the future, but we need to add someone else ASAP. Unfortunately, that is difficult to do in the era of the salary cap, but until it's done I don't believe we'll be going any further. Of course, luck and the right setting can go a long way too, and I fully expect another run at a divisional title next year as well, so I think we'll continue to be very competitive.

We were going to have to play lights out today to have any kind of chance at winning under these circumstances. That was the reality, and most here did not want to face that.

DEN has a very capable 7th ranked run defense, which was going to bring our run game back down to earth very quickly, and our offensive receiving options (or lack thereof) was going to even up any advantage that we had on them in the passing game.

Many argued to the contrary, throwing out ridiculous stats about how our offense put up more points in the second half of the season than DEN, but I can't imagine that they honestly ever believed what they were trying to argue.

Until we address any combination of 2/3: receiving options, secondary, pass rush, we are going to be very competitive but likely to fall short unless we get the right setting and the right circumstance. The injury situation has not helped in these past couple/few years either, but.....

the offense's inability to score worth a damn in the past many big game settings (mostly in the teens every time) is really shortening our opportunities. The receiving options need to be addressed. The choices of Dobson/Boyce are great for the future, but we need to add someone else ASAP. Unfortunately, that is difficult to do in the era of the salary cap, but until it's done I don't believe we'll be going any further. Of course, luck and the right setting can go a long way too, and I fully expect another run at a divisional title next year as well, so I think we'll continue to be very competitive.

The Seahawks didn't take long to build their team (specifically defense). They're friggin loaded! BB should take notice. It seems as if every draft pick they select turns into someone of use to them! Crazy...

The Seahawks didn't take long to build their team (specifically defense). They're friggin loaded! BB should take notice. It seems as if every draft pick they select turns into someone of use to them! Crazy...

Yeah, their drafting has been crazy--but they've also had the luxury of going after some bigger named free agents as well due to the fact that they have their franchise QB and CB both playing under cheap, rookie deals. That will likely change this year when they want new deals, or next year at the latest. That will limit SEA a bit more, especially when they realize that the acquisition of Percy Harvin was likely a waste (even when he does play, he won't be worth that kind of money).

Belichick's drafting has been pretty decent as well considering the fact that we've rebuilt both sides of the ball all over again on the fly without missing a beat. Just think of all of the successful draft picks right now on both sides of the ball. Of course there have been some duds lately too like T.Wilson and Bequette, but the odds have greatly improved in the past few yrs in my opinion.

I think it all depends on the future of Edelman.
If Edelman receives an offer comparable to Amendola, I doubt the New England Patriots will match.

If he stays, then we'll still have him, Amendola, the hopefuls in Boyce/Dobson, and one of the "usual" vet retreads like Collie etc. I am not even counting Thompkins in the mix. If they keep him as a WR5 or something, fine...if not, fine too.
I view Edelman, Amendola, Collie somewhat redundant at the wide receiver position.

If Edelman leaves, I think that moves Amendola into his role as more of the quicker route/slot focus, so we'll need to go out and bring in some kind of reasonable FA wide receiver to replace that loss (or "those" losses, however you see it).
The New England Patriots invested in wide receiver unrestricted free agent market last season in Amendola.

I'm not personally as worried about Amendola, and the development of ONE of Dobson/Boyce, but I am worried about :

--the potential loss of Edelman

--the lack of an outside receiver, along with a physical receiver

--the depth itself

Normally, I don't lobby for any of the "big moves" in terms of WR, but I'm beginning to think that we'll need to spend some more money in order to help to make Brady's options more reasonable.
The New England Patriots are salary capped constrained. Either the New England Patriots invest in the cornerback market or the wide receiver market. Considering the 2014 NFL Draft is deep at the wide receiver position, investing in the cornerback market during unrestricted free agency seems more prudent.

If Edelman receives an offer comparable to Amendola, I doubt the New England Patriots will match.

I would hope not, although it obviously depends on how the contract is structured. For all the whining about Amendola, he had a 2 million dollar salary and another 1 million guarateed this year for a 3.5 cap hit.

I highly doubt that he'll see the higher years of that pact, although it was structured to where he has the potential if he takes off. Since that hasn't happened, I am viewing Amendola's pact as a 2 yr deal with the option to restructure or move on in 2015.

In the meantime, I don't have as much problem as others with his salary. He isn't living up to it, but we'll have to get by for the upcoming season.

I don't see anyone offering Edelman more than 4--4.5 AAV, but we'll have to see. He still has injury concerns, and one would have to assume that any GM in their right mind will certainly take into account the lack of other options at our position this season, which led him to 151 targets. On top of that, I think they are going to realize that none of Cruz, Welker, or Amendola are living up to their costs, which may cause them to be a bit more cautious.

If I'm Belichick, I don't think twice about letting Edelman pursue his opportunity should someone offer 5 million dollars, let alone 6.

I view Edelman, Amendola, Collie somewhat redundant at the wide receiver position.

I don't see it being that relevant due to the fact that we are basically stuck with Amendola for 2014, therefore it comes down to whether or not you want to try and keep Edelman too. I wouldn't let anything else aside from a better (or poorer value) offer stop me from retaining Edelman. He offers great ST value, and has improved in his WR game.

Collie probably won't be here, and if he is (which is highly unlikely in my opinion), it won't be for any kind of role which will force him to see much of the field. If they want to keep him for depth purposes or a backup short field receiver at the vet minimum, fine...who really cares either way? I don't mind the game to sit on the bench and be ready should the time come, as long as he's not seeing much of the field like today, which we were forced to do.

Either way, I don't think this factor will have much bearing on our future 2014 WR group. A better physical option, along with the hopeful return to health from Gronkowski, would go a long way towards helping things out. If one of Dobson/Boyce (screw Thompkins in my opinion, unless he'd be kept for a WR5 role or something) steps up, all the better.

The New England Patriots invested in wide receiver unrestricted free agent market last season in Amendola.

Good for them. They also watched as Wes Welker, Brandon Llyod, Danny Woodhead, and Aaron Hernandez walked away for one reason or another. If they didn't sign a free agent receiver to replace any of these 4 losses, I think we'd all have been shocked. Either way, it still needs to be addressed again no matter who they signed last offseason.

Last year's offseason was just like any other in the sense that we lost some free agents, cut some players, asked for restuctures from others, and signed some to replace the ones we lost.

The New England Patriots are salary capped constrained. Either the New England Patriots invest in the cornerback market or the wide receiver market. Considering the 2014 NFL Draft is deep at the wide receiver position, investing in the cornerback market during unrestricted free agency seems more prudent.

According to Miguel's latest projections, they are somewhere around 7 million or so under the cap, with a close eye on the possible charge of Hernandez in the double murder case, which may bolster their case to save a few bucks somewhere along the line.

They will obviously be freeing up even more money, just the same as every year through cuts that are obvious like Sopoaga, A.Wilson, etc. There will also be some "tough" or surprise cuts which will save even more money, and on top of that we should be seeing a restructuring or two which will add to the total even more for a guy like Wilfork. I fully expect them to have something in the high teens when everything is said and done, even if it's not all done at one time. They can free up money, just the same as any other team. The difference is that they aren't into robbing Peter to pay Paul too often, although they may even do some of that if they view it as appropriate for the next year or so.

You are more concerned than I am about cap money, as many of our conversations have shown, but when a guy like Amendola who is making 6 million AAV over the life of his contract had a 3.5m cap hit this year, there's no reason to believe that the same couldn't be done for someone like Talib just as well.

Every year we hear about the extremes of cap situations such as Tampa or Oakland's 50 million (or whatever the specific amounts are now), and how they'll be major players and immediately improve their teams, while others like Pittsburgh, Dallas, Baltimore, etc are 25 million OVER the cap, and won't even be able to field a team. One way or another, teams find a way to make room if and when they choose to do so. That can be done via shrewd business decisions like we have done throughout Belichick's tenure, or it can be done through "gambling" into future years a bit, which is not usually something that we care to do. The bottom line is that there are ways to free up cap space should they wish to do so, and I do not believe that forces the "either/or" issue of a decision between CB/WR.

As far as WR, I wouldn't be surprised to see one taken in the mid to late rounds, but I'd be surprised to see another higher round WR taken when we're already dealing with 3 rookie wide receivers again this year, and still didn't see those decisions pay off too well (and this is a year when we can honestly say that they weren't total failures) !! Using another high draft resource on a WR to gamble and attempt to get another rookie acclimated to the system may not be the best use of resources.

The difference is that they aren't into robbing Peter to pay Paul too often, although they may even do some of that if they view it as appropriate for the next year or so.
Which is exactly what occurred this past season with the following offensive players:

Woodhead
Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Stallworth
Hernandez
Fells
Ballard
Thomas
McDonald

You are more concerned than I am about cap money, as many of our conversations have shown, but when a guy like Amendola who is making 6 million AAV over the life of his contract had a 3.5m cap hit this year, there's no reason to believe that the same couldn't be done for someone like Talib just as well.
Insult Talib with a low ball offer and he will take his services elsewhere.

As far as WR, I wouldn't be surprised to see one taken in the mid to late rounds, but I'd be surprised to see another higher round WR taken when we're already dealing with 3 rookie wide receivers again this year, and still didn't see those decisions pay off too well (and this is a year when we can honestly say that they weren't total failures) !! Using another high draft resource on a WR to gamble and attempt to get another rookie acclimated to the system may not be the best use of resources.
This strategy has not worked out for the New England Patriots. The wide receiver position should not be considered an afterthought in the NFL Draft. It's about time the New England Patriots draft a wide receiver in the first round since the Brandon Tate's and Taylor Price's of the world have not worked out whatsoever.

Amendola has not been as advertised this year.

All we can hope for is that we get a lot more production from him in 2014. If not. He won't be here in 2015. Simple.

Yeah, uhmmm...no.

He wasn't the defense, but his loss created a domino affect. He was doing a good job on D Thomas and Dennard was doing a good job on Decker up to that point. When he went down, Dennard was switched to D Thomas and got absolutely owned by him. Ryan took Decker and got burnt multiple times. It also forced McCourty to play much more of the field on over the top help because neither CB could cover their guy.

Talib isn't the defense, but his loss set off a chain reaction for the defense that made it a complete mess.

. QB Tom Brady -- 59 of 59
WR Julian Edelman -- 59 of 59
TE Michael Hoomanawanui -- 49 of 59
WR Danny Amendola -- 41 of 59
RB Shane Vereen -- 41 of 59
WR Austin Collie -- 37 of 59
WR Aaron Dobson -- 22 of 59
TE Matthew Mulligan -- 13 of 59
FB James Develin -- 12 of 59
RB Stevan Ridley -- 10 of 59
RB LeGarrette Blount -- 8 of 59
WR Matthew Slater -- 3 of 59

Unbelievable. This just highlights how useless Amendola was yesterday and most of the year. Collie caught 3 passes on 38 snaps, Dobson caught a pass on limited snaps, and Slater got open on just three snaps. Amendola did nothing on 41 snaps.

If Edelman returns, Amendola better not eat into any of the young WRs snaps next year. He shall be the near 6 million dollar backup slot WR, because he wasn't an NFL caliber outside WR this year.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013WR.php

Besides Victor Cruz, the 2013 free agent WR class was full of overpriced fails.

The problem is that we paid Amendola so that puts us in a bind with Edelman. We really need to resign Edelman and frankly he is more deserving of a 5 year/$31,000,000 contract than Amendola is but 2 have $60,000,000 tied to the slot receiver position is excessive. On the flip side I don’t see how we don’t resign Edelman and feel comfortable with Amendola who is not capable of consistently being a reliable target, he is often injured, struggles to get open or create space, and drops catchable footballs. The Amendola signing was a terrible idea from the beginning in my opinion it was an impulsive panic signing motivated by the Welker decision to move on to get open, I do not believe that any team was offering Amendola anything even close to $5,700,000 annually for his services.

How often do teams really let their big name star players leave in this NFL? Usually if a team lets a player walk it is because they watched him every day in practice and did not think he was worth the money. Amendola is a perfect example of that; the Rams had the resources to retain him, they had the ability to tag him, transition him but he they bid very low throughout the entire process. Jeff Fisher is a good coach in this league and if he didn’t think Amendola was worth what we paid having seen him everyday we should have known better.

Unbelievable. This just highlights how useless Amendola was yesterday and most of the year. Collie caught 3 passes on 38 snaps, Dobson caught a pass on limited snaps, and Slater got open on just three snaps. Amendola did nothing on 41 snaps.

If Edelman returns, Amendola better not eat into any of the young WRs snaps next year. He shall be the near 6 million dollar backup slot WR, because he wasn't an NFL caliber outside WR this year.

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Free Agents - Wide Receivers

Besides Victor Cruz, the 2013 free agent WR class was full of overpriced fails.

Dobson actually had 2 receptions in limited snaps playing on a broken foot. Mulligan was more productive in the passing game than our 31 million dollar man.

This strategy has not worked out for the New England Patriots. The wide receiver position should not be considered an afterthought in the NFL Draft. It's about time the New England Patriots draft a wide receiver in the first round since the Brandon Tate's and Taylor Price's of the world have not worked out whatsoever.

I disagree, tight end is a much bigger need in my opinion. Tight end should be our first round pick with Amaro, Ebron, or ASJ. We need an actualy receiving threat. In my opinion, we will bring in some low risk high reawrd receivers to camp like Britt and then rely on the development of our rookie receivers from this season.

Amendola better have the best season of his life next season, or he won't be around much longer.

Wow!! So many Pats fans bashing Amendola in hind sight now when they were talking so arrogantly about him replacing Welker at the beginning if the season. The same stupidity and ignorance was said about Chad Johnson when he was here until the Pats lost in the post season. A lot of you never learn from year to year. You guys just stroke Bellicheck no matter what he does until it doesn't work.

The move to pay Amendola all of that money over Welker. The fans that supported that stinking move deserve to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News