PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we got #1 pick for Cassel - what would BB do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If we got #1 pick for Cassell - what would BB do?

Crabtree??

Do not see us take a high #1 pick for Cassell would not fit into the salary structure of this team.. maybe a pick in the mid 20's... or a couple of early 2nd round picks..

Adding multiple picks in the early rounds does make a lot more sense. There's flexibility there, and it's not like we have glaring holes like most other teams

Some years ago here we'd be figuring how to get into the top 10 ... :rofl:

My how times have changed. ;)

The idea of trading Cassell for a tippy-top pick, then trading that pick down to somebody who wants to grab -- wait for it -- a QB seems altogether too complicated to work out.

The trade I'd try to make is #20 and #33 from Detroit for Cassell and a bunch of lower picks. But that's a best case scenario. Cassell has enormous leverage due to the high franchise tag number.

Most likely Cassell will pick a team, and negotiate a contract about which the team says "We'll only give you that if the price to the Pats is a single first-rounder". Then the Pats wind up getting a first-rounder and a little bit more.

Supposed we got the Chiefs/Viking's # 1 for him ; what would we do?
Is their a Stud player you think BB would want or would he trade down.
Can we afford to sign two # 1's?
What would you like to see us do.
thanks

If it's inside of 10 - Trade it lower for value.

Outside of 10, Draft whomever he thought was worthy.

I don't think its a matter of IF anymore it's now a matter of "When".:cool:

Last edited:

They would try to trade back out of the #3, if they could get down to the 10-12 range the money drops drastically..

It depends on the players available. If they want a guy whose there at 3, and won't be there later, they'll take him. If they think similar talent is available later, they'll trade back.

Typically, with high picks, they've drafted lineman. I guess it could be an indication if talks with Seymour/WIlfork are going well.

I hope they get a high pick for him and don't trade down. We need studs on defense. Willie was a stud, he's gone. Ty Law was a stud, he's gone. Lawyer was a stud, he's gone. Rodney as well. Compare our defense with average to good players against other defenses like Pitt or Balt. We lose cuz they have studs and we don't. We need a shut down corner and a pass rushing linebacker, but they both have to be impact players and I hope we draft high to get em.

The thing is that Pioli probably doesn't want the #3 pick either, preferring multiple lower picks. He might give it up, if we give back, say, a 2 and a 3.

BB would only take the #3 pick if he had particular player in mind, and was nearly certain he could get him at #3. I'm not sure there's anyone out there that BB is going to like that much.

BB would only take the #3 pick if he had particular player in mind, and was nearly certain he could get him at #3. I'm not sure there's anyone out there that BB is going to like that much.

Every time (excepting meyo) the Pats have had a high first rounder, they've used it. Theres a lot that feel the Pats still reached on Meyo, too.

If you can guarantee elite talent, you take it. Yes, you want players who are good and cheap, but the 53 man roster limit is as much a factor as the $130M salary cap, maybe more of a factor at this point. If theres a player that Belichick thinks will be the next Randy Moss/ Demarcus Ware/ Orlando Pace /etc, game changing sort of player, he takes him at 3, and smiles about it, like he did with Seymour.

The thing is that Pioli probably doesn't want the #3 pick either, preferring multiple lower picks. He might give it up, if we give back, say, a 2 and a 3.

Bingo. Pioli learned a thing or two. Im fully expect him to trade down, which the people out here, who arent used to it, will be disappointed about at first, but when Pioli brings in 2 or 3 quality players they will get it.

If only Taylor Mays was coming out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes