PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Samuel gets traded, who do we trade with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is how I see it. First, I don't think anyone will step up to trade for Samuel. However, if any team were to trade with the Pats, it would most likely be the Redskins. So let's say in my pipe dream theory that the Pats trade Samuel to the Redskins for their 6th overall selection. That would leave the Pats the #6 overall selection, 24th and 28th selections. That's three 1st round picks. So the question is, if the Pats trade Samuel for a first round pick, what do they do with it? Do they stay put and draft the best available players or package some picks for a player the Pats covet. In my opinion, they would go after Calvin Johnson, plain and simple. Johnson has everything you want not only as a receiver but as a football player as well. I know the Pats are pretty stacked at receiver right now, but Johnson is a can't miss prospect. I'm sure Tom Brady would lobby hard to get this guy. With all this said, there is a 99.9% chance this would never happen. But I just want to know what you guys think the Pats should do with their draft picks if indeed they aquire a third 1st round pick from some team for Samuel.

who do we trade with?

the only other team dumb enough to give up their draft picks like candy

washington redskins....

trade #28 and samuel for their 6....

we all know the skins are dumb enough

WEEI just made a brief mention of the possibility that the Skins are interested in Samuel. With the way Snyder values draft picks we could be looking at the #6 draft pick on the 28th. :D

WEEI just made a brief mention of the possibility that the Skins are interested in Samuel. With the way Snyder values draft picks we could be looking at the #6 draft pick on the 28th. :D

It was also mentionned in the Washington Times this morning that the 'skins are expected to call the Pats re: Asante Samuel. This makes a lot of sense for the skins because they apparently are having problems (contract wise) with some of their current corners. If one of those corners (the younger better one - Carlos Rogers?) was to come back in the trade with the 6th overall for Asante, the 24th and maybe a later pick (the 6th round pick that we can trade). I don't know if that all equals out, but it would be worth doing.

It was also mentionned in the Washington Times this morning that the 'skins are expected to call the Pats re: Asante Samuel. This makes a lot of sense for the skins because they apparently are having problems (contract wise) with some of their current corners. If one of those corners (the younger better one - Carlos Rogers?) was to come back in the trade with the 6th overall for Asante, the 24th and maybe a later pick (the 6th round pick that we can trade). I don't know if that all equals out, but it would be worth doing.

Well if Asante is asking for Clements type $ then how would what you say make sense? And if $ is no object to Snyder than why didn't he just go after Clements?

I think a low #1 is fair for Asante... there are a lot of people on this board who hugely overvalue Pats players ("Cassel for a #2! Britt for a fourth!") and there's maybe a tendency to not want to sound like too much of a homer when speculating about these trades. But the fact is that Asante Samuel is a top-tier corner and top corners are very valuable. After quarterbacks and tackles, the hardest positions to fill are at the corners. Asante would help any team much more than any rookie corner coming into the league next year, ergo he's worth a #1 -- I'd say worth anything from a #12-13 pick on down.

Normally you'd have to say you'd want the Pats to hold on to Samuel, but another way of looking at it is that the Pats are in a rare position to let a guy like this go. He's overvalued right now -- we all know Asante played a little above his head last year -- and the Pats are good enough that they could survive losing him. And if you can't sign him now, it may make sense to cash him in and get his replacement in the draft. Personally I'd rather spend the big money on Wilfork and Warren, and then maybe turn Wilson back into a corner. Although who knows -- maybe Miguel knows, how many more big deals can we even afford?

Cousin,
I think you might have been referring to my little fun deal about Cassel going to the raiders. It was Randy Cross who suggested it. It would not amount to a #one or even two for Cassel, but it Schaub got to the Texans for some decent return why can't Cassel bring us some return before 2008 when we lose him?
This was a blockbuster that makes sense for three teams. It's not just a #2 for Cassel. The Raiders need a QB. Who is more ready, Russell of Cassel? Cassel has a history with new Raiders HC Kiffin. They also need more than a QB. They need an OL AND an DL player. They sign Russell, That is what they get only.

We just signed Britt. We are not going to let Kczur go. O'Callaghan has some promise at OT and started six games. We have a log jam there. One OT is going to go IMO. He is an upgrade over any Raiders OT including Galllery. DE Hill will never play here but has potential to play in Oakland. We trade Cassel, O'Callaghan (two CA guys), Assante and Hill plus our #28 for their #1 and their CB Nnamdi Asomugha, who had 8 interceptions and a sack in 2006 and is 6' 2" and 206 lbs. and S Safety Michael Huff whom we wanted in 2005 who had 78 tackles in 2006. That is five for three but....we can get more for the #1 choice.

Al Davis does NOT want to pay Russell #1 money and would trade down. That doesn't mean the Pats want to pay or need a top three guy either. They cut a deal with the Falcons, who covet the best player in the draft Johnson and who own the #8 pick and have two juicy picks in round two (#39 and #44). Ironically one from the Schaub trade.

The Pats get number eight from Atlanta for our number 1 and their two choice in round two. It gives Atlanta a win in the draft value game. They get a 3,000 point choice for three choices that have a value of about 2,400 points BUT........we aren't stuck paying number one in the draft guaranteed money. Atlanta does, but they have some CAP dollars left. They get Calvin Johnson. We still keep number 24. We get Willis? We now have SS Huff and an equal Samuel replacement, plus two solid second round picks.

A win for three teams and we certainly can replace Cassel. Remember he's gone in 2008 unless we sign him long term.

Maybe sign a Fiedler who can play well for a few games if needed and get a QB in round six (that is where they work best for us).
People tell me I am on glue.....Hey its' for fun but makes sense. We get rid of a headache and get a pretty darn good CB and SS plus a couple twos. So it wasn't just Cassel for a second rounder.
DW Toys

Cousin,
I think you might have been referring to my little fun deal about Cassel going to the raiders. It was Randy Cross who suggested it. It would not amount to a #one or even two for Cassel, but it Schaub got to the Texans for some decent return why can't Cassel bring us some return before 2008 when we lose him?
This was a blockbuster that makes sense for three teams. It's not just a #2 for Cassel. The Raiders need a QB. Who is more ready, Russell of Cassel? Cassel has a history with new Raiders HC Kiffin. They also need more than a QB. They need an OL AND an DL player. They sign Russell, That is what they get only.

We just signed Britt. We are not going to let Kczur go. O'Callaghan has some promise at OT and started six games. We have a log jam there. One OT is going to go IMO. He is an upgrade over any Raiders OT including Galllery. DE Hill will never play here but has potential to play in Oakland. We trade Cassel, O'Callaghan (two CA guys), Assante and Hill plus our #28 for their #1 and their CB Nnamdi Asomugha, who had 8 interceptions and a sack in 2006 and is 6' 2" and 206 lbs. and S Safety Michael Huff whom we wanted in 2005 who had 78 tackles in 2006. That is five for three but....we can get more for the #1 choice.

Al Davis does NOT want to pay Russell #1 money and would trade down. That doesn't mean the Pats want to pay or need a top three guy either. They cut a deal with the Falcons, who covet the best player in the draft Johnson and who own the #8 pick and have two juicy picks in round two (#39 and #44). Ironically one from the Schaub trade.

The Pats get number eight from Atlanta for our number 1 and their two choice in round two. It gives Atlanta a win in the draft value game. They get a 3,000 point choice for three choices that have a value of about 2,400 points BUT........we aren't stuck paying number one in the draft guaranteed money. Atlanta does, but they have some CAP dollars left. They get Calvin Johnson. We still keep number 24. We get Willis? We now have SS Huff and an equal Samuel replacement, plus two solid second round picks.

A win for three teams and we certainly can replace Cassel. Remember he's gone in 2008 unless we sign him long term.

Maybe sign a Fiedler who can play well for a few games if needed and get a QB in round six (that is where they work best for us).
People tell me I am on glue.....Hey its' for fun but makes sense. We get rid of a headache and get a pretty darn good CB and SS plus a couple twos. So it wasn't just Cassel for a second rounder.
DW Toys

I've been a proponent of this for 2 months and was
derided for suggesting we explore a trade with the Raiders for Matt Cassell.

If Schaub is worth it,,,Cassel is also,especially because he's experienced in the Patriots QB system.......intelligent,strong-arm and focused on game management......like Brady.

FYI - Cassell is signed through the 2008 season. Cassell does not become an UFA until March, 2009.

we got a 1st for Branch, who had never broken 100 receptions or 1000 yds receiving

and yet

we can't get a 1st for Asante, who led the NFL in INTs last season?

Cousins,

Some of you have skewed perceptions.
**sigh** I've always had mixed luck with my cousins. :(

IF we trade him, we trade him to a team on a planet far, far away from the Jets, the AFC East and the AFC itself...

I would even give the redskins our 24th and Samuel for their #6 pick. We could then:

get Landry at #6

get either Woodley DE/LB (Patriots love this guy)
or LB Harris

That would take care of a lot of problems on the defense.

I have this obsession. I've mentioned it alot. I'll mention it again.

I want Tampa's two 2nd rounders-35 and 64.

If Asante has to go, I think this is fair compensation if we're to get anything this year.

This--------------would be cool!:rocker:

as crazy as Julian Tavarez....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results