Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you consider drafting Johnny Manziel? If so, how soon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
And you had the final say, would you consider drafting him?

If so, what round?

DO NOT WANT! The guy is a self-centered turd, and I'm not sure if his game would translate to the NFL at all.

Lets the Jets have him, that would be supremely amusing.

He doesn't fit the Pats prototype physically or personality wise. Bill certainly wouldn't use a first on him and he's going to go in the first to somebody. If he ever landed with the Cowboys that would be a bigger circus than Tebow with the Jets. They would be chanting to get him in and Romo out before the first incomplete pass hit the turf.

Manziel is extremely talented and I enjoy watching him. He's pretty much the only college player I tune in to see. So that says something. But I probably wouldn't draft the guy. He seems like he's way too coccky (wouldn't let me spell this correctly). To the point that I would worry about him doing something stupid or getting into trouble. That could be way too much headache than what it's worth. It's too bad. He's an exciting player to watch.

Manziel is extremely talented and I enjoy watching him. He's pretty much the only college player I tune in to see. So that says something. But I probably wouldn't draft the guy. He seems like he's way too coccky (wouldn't let me spell this correctly). To the point that I would worry about him doing something stupid or getting into trouble. That could be way too much headache than what it's worth. It's too bad. He's an exciting player to watch.

FWIW, he'd be sitting behind Brady for a year or two at least.

I don't think he is big enough and would get killed. However, for a 3rd round of below it would be worth a flyer.

I would pull the trigger if he were available in the third round or later (which he might be because of his douche routine on and off the field). The kid is supposedly a big drinker and partier, though. I would take A.J. McCarron in a heart beat before I would take him. He seems like a natural transition from Brady, when he's ready to hang 'em up, into the next era.

Negative. He is a joke and won't do anything in the NFL IMO.

AJ McCarron is what BB is looking for in a QB mor that Johnny Football gunslinging ways.

AJ McCarron would be seriously tempting in the first round, even if he ended up just as trade bait down the road - he is a proper QB and will be a success in the league.

Manziel, maybe in the 3rd like Mallett just to see what Belichick could do with him.

No on Manziel - Pats select Teddy Bridgewater in round 2 as the heir apparent to Tom.

No on Manziel - Pats select Teddy Bridgewater in round 2 as the heir apparent to Tom.

Why would you spend such a high pick on a guy who is going to 1) sit on the bench, and 2) hasn't proven he can play in the NFL when you can get a good O-lineman who can help protect and lengthen the career of Brady, who has proven he can play in the NFL?

I really don't think there is any way that Bridgewater is going to make it out of the first round. If he did, I wouldn't mind the Pats grabbing him. But McCarron is my binky. A proven winner, shows up big in big games, has endured and thrived under a coach with Belichick's pedigree, and is an excellent pocket passer whose strength is going through his progressions and finding the open man from the pocket. Do want. Plus, it means that the cameras will show his girlfriend at most Pats games as well. So that's another definite reason for drafting him...

Unless he has an Dennard pre-draft moment there's no way he gets past pick #2 never mind into round #2.

4th round, MAYBE end of the 3rd depending on who is available. No way on McCarron before the 6th.

Bridgewater would have to go full Hernandez to be available when the Pats pick.

4th round, MAYBE end of the 3rd depending on who is available. No way on McCarron before the 6th.

Before the 6th? Are you out of your mind?

Manziel is my 1st round pick for the patriots in mocks up until draft day.

When you have a chance to grab an elite level QB prospect (Fran Tarkenton, sprinkle some Mike Vick with accuracy in, as well as Russell Wilson) in the late 1st due to BS character concerns and height, you take him. This kid has a chip on his shoulder, Texas didn't offer him anything, he wasn't even a top 50 highschool ranked QB because of his size. He takes an average program to one of the best in the nation, scores the two highest totals Alabama's let up in 5 years, and has torn apart top competition. I'm in the minority, but i love Manziel as a pro prospect.

Here's how we would deal with this situation.

Brady plays out his deal through 2017. Hopefully by then he's a 5x champion and rides off into the sunset. If he decides to play past age 40, well, that will be the hardest goodbye in boston sports.

Manziel will be a Free agent and age 25 when Brady is 40 after the 2017 season. Franchise Manziel and work out a long term deal.

A 25 year old, matured, Manziel as the successor to TFB, yes please. We have a rare chance to grab a QB of this caliber in the late 1st/early 2nd, why not do the favre/rodgers thing?

Manziel is my 1st round pick for the patriots in mocks up until draft day.

When you have a chance to grab an elite level QB prospect (Fran Tarkenton, sprinkle some Mike Vick with accuracy in, as well as Russell Wilson) in the late 1st due to BS character concerns and height, you take him. This kid has a chip on his shoulder, Texas didn't offer him anything, he wasn't even a top 50 highschool ranked QB because of his size. He takes an average program to one of the best in the nation, scores the two highest totals Alabama's let up in 5 years, and has torn apart top competition. I'm in the minority, but i love Manziel as a pro prospect.

Here's how we would deal with this situation.

Brady plays out his deal through 2017. Hopefully by then he's a 5x champion and rides off into the sunset. If he decides to play past age 40, well, that will be the hardest goodbye in boston sports.

Manziel will be a Free agent and age 25 when Brady is 40 after the 2017 season. Franchise Manziel and work out a long term deal.

A 25 year old, matured, Manziel as the successor to TFB, yes please. We have a rare chance to grab a QB of this caliber in the late 1st/early 2nd, why not do the favre/rodgers thing?

Why would you spend such a high pick on a guy who is going to 1) sit on the bench, and 2) hasn't proven he can play in the NFL when you can get a good O-lineman who can help protect and lengthen the career of Brady, who has proven he can play in the NFL?

I don't agree with a high pick on Manziel, but I do agree with a higher pick on a quarterback. Brady is 36. I understand he wants to play past his 40's, but quarterbacks that can do that at a high level in the annals of NFL history are few and far between. Brady can still go, but the Pats should grab a quarterback for the future or they could be looking at a decade plus of futility like the Dolphins after Marino.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back