PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Manziel drops to 29 should the Patriots draft him?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should they draft Manziel at 29?

• Total voters
nhsd.gif

Haha, funny post.

In the fake universe, you say yes, bc/he's a top 10 or so pick, so theoretically you should be able to eke out some value there via trade, use, or whatnot.

In the real universe, you say no, because if he dropped to 29 he probably blew out his knee playing hoops the night before the draft.

If the patriots want a great QB who can come in and be basically familiar with the system and the terminology, then AJ McCarron is who you want. Alabama runs a similar system to what New England does with similar terminology. He'd make an excellent understudy and be ready to go when Brady decides to hang it up.

YMMV, but that's how I see it. :cool:

I think he's too small. He'll be fun to watch until a 300 pound linebacker blind sides him.

Then he'll be gone.

In another year and a different QB, maybe. I don't like Manziel, I don't think his style of play with his size will be a good fit for the NFL. I think he's another Michael Vick. Talented, at times electrifying but will have injury after injury.
He is not as fast as Vick. He was very elusive and sure make those Duke defenders look like fools in the Chick-fil-A Bowl, but those defender will be doctors and lawyers in a few years, not NFLers. That side-stepping joke move he has is going to get him killed at the next level.

Anyone whose last name is "Football" has a spot on my team.....All in for Johnny. He can teach that one trick pony "Mr Three Yards Down Field Between the Hash Marks" how to get mobile.....maybe show him what a down field pass and completion looks like. At some point, that old war horse Belichick will get with the times and choose to score more than 17,16,and 13 points...points his team scored in losses that ended their past 3 playoffs.

Here's the plan......all in for Johnny at the draft......then let Brady win all the soft AFC East games that he specializes in while Johnny lurks in the shadows....and then.......whammy.....Johnny Football starts the AFC Championship game against Forehead. Bootleg, roll out........roll out, bootleg. The energy in Foxborough has never been more electric. Red seaters actually figure out where their seats are.....and..........what's that sound........Is that a synchronized red seat chant...."Here's Johnny.......Here's Johnny".

And after the SB when Johnny hoists the Lombardi and Brady is doing the Bledsoe smile for the cameras.....and Kraft's "neice" lip locks the newest NE hero......off in the distance, a magnificent rainbow will appear. And then......world peace.......which is nice

A "gamer on game day" compared to Favre because he doesn't like to prepare (not because he has Favre's size or skills)? No thanks. He is the antithesis of Brady. Right now Manziel screams "sense of entitlement", Ryan Leaf's problem, but Leaf had a more traditional NFL skill set in his legendary fail in the NFL. Hard pass.

To the ignore list you go

Johnny Manziel would be an embarrassing disgrace to this franchise.

He'll be out of this league within 5 years, regardless of where he ends up.

First off, the Pats have no business spending a first round pick on a "project player" at a position where he would be a distant third on the depth chart.

The spread QB is going to quickly be a thing of the past. They simply can't take the punishment in the NFL. Plus Clowney ran a faster 40 time than Manziel!

He is small and slow, so no, not even in the fifth round.

To the ignore list you go

Johnny Manziel would be an embarrassing disgrace to this franchise.

He'll be out of this league within 5 years, regardless of where he ends up.

Johnny Football forgives you my son.

The disturbing part is 7 people, as of now, have voted yes.

Would be kind of ideal if he did drop. Trade your pick to Jacksonville or Oakland for the high 2nd and their 1st next year. I really don't think we have to ponder this too much. Pretty sure he is a top 15 pick.

Would be kind of ideal if he did drop. Trade your pick to Jacksonville or Oakland for the high 2nd and their 1st next year. I really don't think we have to ponder this too much. Pretty sure he is a top 15 pick.

Nobody moves up 5-10 draft slots giving up that pick and a first at the end of the first round. The Mayo deal the Pats got a 4th and next year's first. Having the 4th become Randy Moss is still surreal.

I would not draft him. We have significant holes to address along the offensive line, defensive line, and tight end positions.

If Manziel was to drop that far we would be best of trading back with a team willing to pay a ransom to move up and draft him.

Yup a tradeback, if they can get a good offer. JM has a lot of questions circulating about him. It wouldn't surprise me if he took a Geno Smith slide into the 2nd round.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back