PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jets lose against Pitt...will it diminish their win against us a little bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll just have to disagree.

Brady had to reload on the INT because of the rush and his normal trajectory was disrupted.

If we can't overcome one TD drop at home in a playoff game (by the same guy who saved the TD after the INT), then something's wrong.

As for the fake punt, I'd argue that the panic that led Chung to call it was, to some degree at least, "forced" by the flow of the game and, therefore, by the Jets coaching. That was a panic call and panic execution.

I suspect that the Pats went into the empty backfield formation because they didn't think they could run consistently on the Jets D.

As for the plays that Sanchez made...the bottom line is that he "made the plays," as did his receivers.

Belichick always says that the teams that make plays win games like last week's. The Jets made plays. We didn't.

So, we just disagree.

I just think you're tried to account for each of those blunders and mistakes, and with each rationalization I become less and less convinced.

I don't care who the QB is, he should NEVER throw an INT on a screen play. NEVER. We're not talking about a throw downfield here.

A little bit?

Does anyone remember that miraculous upset by Wade Wilson's Vikings over the 49ers in 1987?

Are we going to have a 20th Anniversary Commemorative Coin for the Jaguars for their 1997 upset over the Broncos?

Would anyone really be bragging about the Red Sox coup of the Yankees in 2004 had they lost in the WS, or would this just be another "cursed franchise" example (yes!)

If the Jets do not win the Super Bowl, no one will even remember this game, except to say that the heavy favorite Patriots were knocked out of the playoffs by a plucky division rival. You'll just have a few prideful, chest-thumping Jets fans who won't know whether to be proud or embarrassed to bring up his team's almost-victory.

Do you brag about the 18-1 season, or do you feel shame (be honest!)

Take it to the bank, or name some non-champions whose heroics are still celebrated to this day.

But I wasn't talking about bragging rights, I was talking about the teams and what happened on the field.

I see the issue now - I was responding to your post according to how I understood the thread topic. That topic doesn't specify in what way the win is diminished, only if it is. My own angle is that, as the ultimate goal of any team is to win the SB, failing to do so is in fact a diminishment. To use a metaphor - a hot fudge sundae is just a bit less tasty, though still tasty, if it has no cherry on top.

If nothing else, can we at least agree that we are speaking from different but equally valid contexts?

P.S. For someone who has never been directly involved in any way, I think my understanding of the game is actually pretty darn good :p Judging from some other posts, I also seem to have lots of company in my cluelessness ;)

Last edited:
A little bit?

Does anyone remember that miraculous upset by Wade Wilson's Vikings over the 49ers in 1987?

Are we going to have a 20th Anniversary Commemorative Coin for the Jaguars for their 1997 upset over the Broncos?

Would anyone really be bragging about the Red Sox coup of the Yankees in 2004 had they lost in the WS, or would this just be another "cursed franchise" example (yes!)

If the Jets do not win the Super Bowl, no one will even remember this game, except to say that the heavy favorite Patriots were knocked out of the playoffs by a plucky division rival. You'll just have a few prideful, chest-thumping Jets fans who won't know whether to be proud or embarrassed to bring up his team's almost-victory.

Do you brag about the 18-1 season, or do you feel shame (be honest!)

Take it to the bank, or name some non-champions whose heroics are still celebrated to this day.

Absolutely 100% right. It's funny you mention the Red Sox because in many ways the Jets and their fans are the Sox pre-2004.

I don't care who the QB is, he should NEVER throw an INT on a screen play. NEVER. We're not talking about a throw downfield here.

What made that INT so bad is the LB who picked it off what running full speed at BJGE. Had Benny been able to catch the ball he'd have been crushed. The play was blown up before Brady ever threw the ball. The old Brady would have recognized that the play was busted and thrown the ball away. That's the guy who's been missing in the playoffs. Our smart QB.

Here's another angle to put on my view - do longtime Dolphins fans still lose any sleep over the "Squish the Fish" game?

Last edited:
Here's another angle to put on my view - do longtime Dolphins fans still lose any sleep over the "Squish the Fish" game?

There's two ways to answer this.

The Phins and Marino never got back to a championship game.

If the Patriots become the Bills, then yes, that loss to the Jets will be considered the castration of the franchise.

But, i the Patriots do not do a Marino fade, then the loss is meaningless.

If the Patriots become the Bills, then yes, that loss to the Jets will be considered the castration of the franchise..

If this happened, I could understand any impulse to conclude that the RR Jets finally broke them. However, to borrow a popular expression, correlation doesn't equal causation; to me it could as easily be interpreted as a case of feasting on an already-fading 'regime'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference