PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jets lose against Pitt...will it diminish their win against us a little bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say yes, a bit - unless the Sewagets get some 'hardware' to take home with them to commemorate their little playoff run, this game will take on the quality of a glorified regular-season playoff-bid spoiler. It's harder to gloat without a trophy...

Wishful thinking. They beat us at home coming off a bye week, and they beat us by taking away virtually everything downfield, by forcing dumb plays and turnovers and by knocking our MVP on his prize butt a half dozen times. They also made big plays when they had to make them and stepped up to the occasion. They're 4--2 on the road in the Playoffs in two years and we're 0--2 at home. They have every right to think they've outperformed us, because they have.

Last edited:
If thousands of winged rodents begin to fly out my backside,
am I Batman?

They have every right to think they've outperformed us, because they have.

I don't think anyone is wondering whether they outperformed the Patriots. People are wondering whether their win against us will be diminished. I think it will.

Super Bowl or bust.

The only way that win means anything if the Jets lose is if it somehow sends the Patriots into a tailspin and starts a run of Jets AFCE championships.

Otherwise, if they lose to the Steelers and the Patriots come back next year, the win means squat.

Wishful thinking. They beat us at home coming off a bye week, and they beat us by taking away virtually everything downfield, by forcing dumb plays and turnovers and by knocking our MVP on his prize butt a half dozen times. They also made big plays when they had to make them and stepped up to the occasion. They're 4--2 on the road in the Playoffs in two years and we're 0--2 at home. They have every right to think they've outperformed us, because they have.

I think you misunderstand me, so I'll restate my angle on this: Did anyone go around rubbing 18-1 in anyone's else's faces back in early '08? Lots of drubbings there, but you can't wash the stain of the final outcome from them. Ever since I was a kid I dreamed of seeing the Pats crush the Redskins, but I will be forever denied true enjoyment of that 52-7 score, knowing how the last chapter ended.

To put it yet another way - if you asked Rexy why he took the job, or any AFCE coach for that matter, I think it's pretty safe to assume the words 'Belichick' or 'Patriots' would be astronomically far less likely to fall from his lips than "championships"...

Last edited:
Not for me, but it would sure as hell bring a smile to my face.

If the Jets lose on Sunday, millions upon millions of NYers will be miserable. Rex Ryan will be miserable. That female orifice Antonio Cromartie will be miserable.

Nothing else matters.

The Jets have gone all in THIS year. They signed all kinds of veterans in the off-season for the express purpose of winning a Super Bowl. If they fail in Pittsburgh and don't even reach the SB then all they have is a win against the Patriots as their big achievement.
Big freakin' deal!! :D

As painful as it was, the loss to the Jets just may be the best thing to happen to this Patriot team/organization going forward. Don't think for a minute that all those questions we have about the way this team handled this season/ that playoff game/ the fatal flaws with the defense/ total lack of offensive coaching adjustments against the Jets isn't being thought through in Foxborough.
The Jet loss was an embarrassing slap in the face.
I'm very confident only good things will come of it for the New England Patriots.

Last edited:
I think it does. I mean they blew there load on a playoff game acting like they won the SB, fine you beat us BFD you havent won a superbowl since 1968 and nothing outside of that really matters.

I will relish a Pitt win this weekend after idot Jets fans at work send me SI screen covers. This week its personal between me and idot Jets fans at work.

I don't think anyone is wondering whether they outperformed the Patriots. People are wondering whether their win against us will be diminished. I think it will.

Super Bowl or bust.

The only way that win means anything if the Jets lose is if it somehow sends the Patriots into a tailspin and starts a run of Jets AFCE championships.

Otherwise, if they lose to the Steelers and the Patriots come back next year, the win means squat.

Here's my post from the prior page addressing the thread question. I haven't changed my mind.

"...will it diminish their win?

No. That's how the Jets would think if we had won on Sunday and then lost to Pittsburgh.

The truth is the Jets made us look bad.

If I'm a Jets fan and the Jets lose on Sunday, I still think of the playoff wins in Indy and Foxboro as something to build on. I'm thinking, "We're this close. Over the last two seasons, we're 4--2 on the road in the playoffs and the Pats are 0--2 at home."

We can take zero satisfaction that Roethlisberger beats them. In fact, if you think about it, both Manning and Brady have limited skills outside the pocket, which is where Rex wanted them and where they stayed.

Roethlisberger throws the whole equation off for the Jets because he can turn a three or four man rush and blanket coverage of his receivers downfield into big gains. As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm fascinated to see how Rex game plans against Big Ben, who presents a totally different challenge than Peyton and Tommy.

I think you misunderstand me, so I'll restate my angle on this: Did anyone go around rubbing 18-1 in anyone's else's faces back in early '08? Lots of drubbings there, but you can't wash the stain of the final outcome from them. Ever since I was a kid I dreamed of seeing the Pats crush the Redskins, but I will be forever denied true enjoyment of that 52-7 score, knowing how the last chapter ended.

To put it yet another way - if you asked Rexy why he took the job, or any AFCE coach for that matter, I think it's pretty safe to assume the words 'Belichick' or 'Patriots' would be astronomically far less likely to fall from his lips than "championships"...

From a bragging rights point of view? Sure, it's diminished, especially when you've been saying since last March that you were going to the SB this year.

But I wasn't talking about bragging rights, I was talking about the teams and what happened on the field.

From the point of view of sheer accomplishment? Going into Indy and Foxboro on successive weekends and beating the two greatest QB's of their generation and the "best team in the conference" coming off a bye in a game that was nowhere near as close as the score? Going 4--2 (should they lose) over the last two years, on the road in the Playoffs when the Pats are 0--2 at home and haven't won a playoff game since the 2007 season? No, that's not diminished in the eyes of anyone who understands the game.

Last edited:
Here's my post from the prior page addressing the thread question. I haven't changed my mind.

"...will it diminish their win?

No. That's how the Jets would think if we had won on Sunday and then lost to Pittsburgh.

The truth is the Jets made us look bad.

If I'm a Jets fan and the Jets lose on Sunday, I still think of the playoff wins in Indy and Foxboro as something to build on. I'm thinking, "We're this close. Over the last two seasons, we're 4--2 on the road in the playoffs and the Pats are 0--2 at home."

We can take zero satisfaction that Roethlisberger beats them. In fact, if you think about it, both Manning and Brady have limited skills outside the pocket, which is where Rex wanted them and where they stayed.

Roethlisberger throws the whole equation off for the Jets because he can turn a three or four man rush and blanket coverage of his receivers downfield into big gains. As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm fascinated to see how Rex game plans against Big Ben, who presents a totally different challenge than Peyton and Tommy.

If a Jets fan is thinking like that, they are deluded. Every year some team accomplishes great things in the playoffs, doesn't win the Super Bowl, and then is never heard from for a decade.

I don't see how any of the Ben, Peyton, Tom analysis is relevant either. You make it sound like the game turned on Rex's strategy rather than the plays made/not being made on the field. The Colts were simply a hurtin' team, the Patriots made big miscues. if Rex knew so much, he wouldn't have lost 45-3.

The Patriots simply came up small in a playoff game. The defense was not ready for the bigtime regardless.

Bart Scott said it well. "That team could not stop a sucky QB like Sanchez."

If the Jets beat the Steelers and go on to win the SB, it will be one of the more improbable runs in history. They would have beaten three SB winning QBs on the road just to get to the SB.

If a Jets fan is thinking like that, they are deluded. Every year some team accomplishes great things in the playoffs, doesn't win the Super Bowl, and then is never heard from for a decade.

I don't see how any of the Ben, Peyton, Tom analysis is relevant either. You make it sound like the game turned on Rex's strategy rather than the plays made/not being made on the field. The Colts were simply a hurtin' team, the Patriots made big miscues. if Rex knew so much, he wouldn't have lost 45-3.

The Patriots simply came up small in a playoff game. The defense was not ready for the bigtime regardless.

Bart Scott said it well. "That team could not stop a sucky QB like Sanchez."

Time will tell if you're right or I'm right. The game turned on coaching strategy in the same way that SB XXXVI turned on Belichick's Defensive strategy, though in a different context of course.

I saw a Jets D that disrupted and covered Brady's receivers so he couldn't find them open quickly enough and a four man rush that was able to break through a decent O-line and knock him around for said reason. The Jets knew that they did not have to fear our running game and played that way.

I also saw the players that the Jets brought in for this season make big plays: Edwards, Holmes and LT. I saw Sanchez play "just well enough" (as BB said, the TD to Santonio was "great") to get the better of a Pats D that was struggling to deal with LT out of the backfield and two big time receivers plus Keller.

And, yes, I think Sunday will come down to whether Rex can figure out a way to contain Big Ben, because the way the Jets are playing, they're vulnerable to a QB who can change the game by scrambling and throwing off his carefully orchestrated D.

I stand by what I said.

Last edited:
If the Jets lose on Sunday, millions upon millions of NYers will be miserable. Rex Ryan will be miserable. That female orifice Antonio Cromartie will be miserable.

Nothing else matters.
Same for me.

In addition, I will then know that the Jets win over us will mean the same as the Ravens win over us last year...nothing.

Here's the thing. If the Jets don't win the Super Bowl, they'll still be able to crow about a couple more road wins--and against the Colts & Pats, no less.

But....they still will have not won the Super Bowl.

At a certain point, a team has to actually win a championship. Talking a lot, winning a couple of playoff games, whatever, none of that ultimately matters.

So, the Jets and their fans are happy right now. But they haven't won a thing.

Time will tell if you're right or I'm right. The game turned on coaching strategy in the same way that SB XXXVI turned on Belichick's Defensive strategy, though in a different context of course.

I saw a Jets D that disrupted and covered Brady's receivers so he couldn't find them open quickly enough and a four man rush that was able to break through a decent O-line and knock him around for said reason. The Jets knew that they did not have to fear our running game and played that way.

I also saw the players that the Jets brought in for this season make big plays: Edwards, Holmes and LT. I saw Sanchez play "just well enough" (as BB said, the TD to Santonio was "great") to get the better of a Pats D that was struggling to deal with LT out of the backfield and two big time receivers plus Keller.

And, yes, I think Sunday will come down to whether Rex can figure out a way to contain Big Ben, because the way the Jets are playing, they're vulnerable to a QB who can change the game by scrambling and throwing off his carefully orchestrated D.

I stand by what I said.

The game turned on big mistakes, from having the opening drive yield nothing because of a weird unforced INT, to a TD drop in the end zone, to a bizarre punt fake. None of these were forced by Rex Ryan. The Jets then did as you say, dropped back into zone coverage. They didn't fear the Patriots running game then because for some oddball reason the Patriots went into the empty set backfield. I then saw Sanchez make a couple plays after 7 seconds elapsed in the pocket. What do you blame that on? I blame it on lack of a pass rush.

It's no mystery why the Patriots lost.

The game turned on big mistakes, from having the opening drive yield nothing because of a weird unforced INT, to a TD drop in the end zone, to a bizarre punt fake. None of these were forced by Rex Ryan. The Jets then did as you say, dropped back into zone coverage. They didn't fear the Patriots running game then because for some oddball reason the Patriots went into the empty set backfield. I then saw Sanchez make a couple plays after 7 seconds elapsed in the pocket. What do you blame that on? I blame it on lack of a pass rush.

It's no mystery why the Patriots lost.

We'll just have to disagree.

Brady had to reload on the INT because of the rush and his normal trajectory was disrupted.

If we can't overcome one TD drop at home in a playoff game (by the same guy who saved the TD after the INT), then something's wrong.

As for the fake punt, I'd argue that the panic that led Chung to call it was, to some degree at least, "forced" by the flow of the game and, therefore, by the Jets coaching. That was a panic call and panic execution.

I suspect that the Pats went into the empty backfield formation because they didn't think they could run consistently on the Jets D.

As for the plays that Sanchez made...the bottom line is that he "made the plays," as did his receivers.

Belichick always says that the teams that make plays win games like last week's. The Jets made plays. We didn't.

So, we just disagree.

Nah, why would it? Won't change the fact that we would have smoked Pittsburgh, and everyone knows it, even Steelers fans.

That's is pretty much how I felt about the Jets before last Sunday. Unfortunately for us, that's why you play the game.

Honestly I'm not worried about the Jets right now - we embarrassed them pretty bad a few weeks ago on Monday Night Football and I don't think they'll get over that loss anytime soon. That's the kind of loss that usually takes a couple of years and coach changes to get past and the Jets have lost like that so many times they may just become extinct instead.

We don't need to worry about our losses to the Jets because they were only by 14 and 7 - both were managable losses and without some help from the referees we probably win those games too. The Jets know that so they'll have perspective on the loss that counts: 45-3.

No. They talked **** all damn week, came into our place and beat us on 2 weeks rest. The next 8 months are going to be awful regardless of what happens this Sunday. The only way to fix this is to sweep them next season, which as noted it 8 FREAKING MONTHS AWAY :mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down