PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If it was your choice: CB Nnamdi Asomugha or WR Calvin Johnson?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would you add to the Pats?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If it was your choice...

Megatron, and it ain't even close.

"Sanchez was 22 of 39 for a career-high 323 yards with one TD - a 74-yard, go-ahead pass to Edwards with a minute left in the first half - and one interception.

Stafford was 20 of 36 for 240 yards with two TDs, no interceptions, and a rushing score. Calvin Johnson was held to 1 reception for 13 yards, getting shut down by All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis."

Read more: Game Recap - Jets v Lions | NFL | Sports | National Post

Torched? :confused:

You have to remember that Stafford left the game sometime in the third (i think), he was on his way to 300+ passing yards.

Totally Nnamdi. We're in win now mode for the next 3-4 years. Calvin would be the better long term investment but right now we need defense.

Having two lockdown DB's changes the whole dynamic of the defense. We wouldn't have to see the QB get untouched all game.

People keep saying we don't win with Moss type players...Well the last time we won the SB was in the 2004 season. Since then, Moss was with us for three out of seven years and the closest to winning the SB was when we had Moss..
Bring C.J if we can. Asomugha is around 30yrs old. CJ goes down the middle for passes. Moss doesn't

Last edited:

People keep saying we don't win with Moss type players...Well the last time we won the SB was in the 2004 season. Since then, Moss was with us for three out of seven years and the closest to winning the SB was when we had Moss..
Bring C.J if we can. Asomugha is around 30yrs old. CJ goes down the middle for passes. Moss doesn't

CJ goes up for the ball, CJ has the speed and the muscle to beat any DB in the NFL. He's probably the most complete wideout in the league.

Still haven't heard a good argument for NA over CJ. We have a need at WR and not CB. Sure you can never have enough corners, but with our pass rush even the best corners in the league will get beat. At least a player like CJ will compensate on the other end and help us put up some more points.

It's no coincidence that the 4 best defenses are left in the playoffs and the 4 best offenses are all gone.
We need to get back to PATRIOT SB WINNING FOOTBALL.
Tough smart D, ball control clutch O and good coaching.
Too much attention has been paid to getting Brady his toys and this team hasn't won it all since.
Sign the free agent veterans for the defense.[/
QUOTE]

This is the smartest post on this whole message board

What are the chances of getting one of these guys ?

It's no coincidence that the 4 best defenses are left in the playoffs and the 4 best offenses are all gone.
We need to get back to PATRIOT SB WINNING FOOTBALL.
Tough smart D, ball control clutch O and good coaching.
Too much attention has been paid to getting Brady his toys and this team hasn't won it all since.
Sign the free agent veterans for the defense.

This is the smartest post on this whole message board

Clearly not, given the makeup of last year's final four.

Last edited:

What are the chances of getting one of these guys ?

Not very high....they cost a lot and other teams would like to have their services.

I'd prefer Larry Fitz over CJ

But I think the defense needs more work than the offense. Good WRs are really all the team needs. They don't need to have a top 5 WR to be efficient

Clearly not, given the makeup of last year's final four.

let's take a look at the Super Bowl winners this decade instead of just last year. Ravens, Pats, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and even Indy when the won, all had strong defences and good running games. The last 3 games the Pats went out to lower seeded teams because those teams had good defences and ran the ball.

what do we want; a great regular season record setting spread offense and 1 and done in the playoffs, or a strong D with the ball control/play action O that won 3 SB's?

I'd prefer Larry Fitz over CJ

But I think the defense needs more work than the offense. Good WRs are really all the team needs. They don't need to have a top 5 WR to be efficient

I'd rather have CJ.

Fitz is one of the best but CJ and Andre Johnson are on their own level. They are physical receivers with speed and great hands :eek:

let's take a look at the Super Bowl winners this decade instead of just last year.

Why? That wasn't the poster's argument.

Ravens, Pats, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and even Indy when the won, all had strong defences and good running games. The last 3 games the Pats went out to lower seeded teams because those teams had good defences and ran the ball.

The Patriots lost in 2007 because Brady was hobbled, the TEs were injured and useless, Neal got hurt, Mankins played the worst game of his NFL career, Samuel missed a pick, the officials blew a holding call and an in-the-grasp call on the same play, and a player made a miracle-type of catch with his helmet. It took all of that for the Giants to win that game.

The Patriots lost in 2009 because Welker was missing, which allowed the Ravens to blanket Moss and tee off on Brady, and because the Patriots couldn't weather the initial storm.

And the Jets win on Sunday was because the Patriots failed in all 4 phases of the game, not because the Jets had a good defense and ran the ball.

what do we want; a great regular season record setting spread offense and 1 and done in the playoffs, or a strong D with the ball control/play action O that won 3 SB's?

We should want a team that wins, however the hell it does it.

Why? That wasn't the poster's argument.

The Patriots lost in 2007 because Brady was hobbled, the TEs were injured and useless, Neal got hurt, Mankins played the worst game of his NFL career, Samuel missed a pick, the officials blew a holding call and an in-the-grasp call on the same play, and a player made a miracle-type of catch with his helmet. It took all of that for the Giants to win that game.

The Patriots lost in 2009 because Welker was missing, which allowed the Ravens to blanket Moss and tee off on Brady, and because the Patriots couldn't weather the initial storm.

And the Jets win on Sunday was because the Patriots failed in all 4 phases of the game, not because the Jets had a good defense and ran the ball.

We should want a team that wins, however the hell it does it.

We should want a team that wins, but it seems that the teams that have won the Super Bowl this decade (besides New Orleans) were teams with strong defences and running games.

It is a close call for me but I would have to say Megatron by a sliver. The Patriots seemingly have enough cover guys and will likely address the front seven in the top end of their draft this April to compliment an improved pass defense.

The Patriots need a legitimate outside WR to keep defenses honest. I personally feel that Megatron is the best WR in the league, and if he can put up those types of numbers with Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton throwing him the ball, imagine the numbers he could put up with the best QB in the league throwing to him? Sky's the limit.

It is a close call for me but I would have to say Megatron by a sliver. The Patriots seemingly have enough cover guys and will likely address the front seven in the top end of their draft this April to compliment an improved pass defense.

The Patriots need a legitimate outside WR to keep defenses honest. I personally feel that Megatron is the best WR in the league, and if he can put up those types of numbers with Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton throwing him the ball, imagine the numbers he could put up with the best QB in the league throwing to him? Sky's the limit.

One shutdown CB that can play man coverage on the the opposing team's #1 WR opens everything up for the defense.

Much different than having pleanty of 'cover guys'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes