PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If it was your choice: CB Nnamdi Asomugha or WR Calvin Johnson?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would you add to the Pats?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If it was your choice...

Having 2 shutdown corners helps everyone else on the defense and would cause a opposing teams to struggle designing a game plan to stop it. Our offense is already great and that's why I think this is an interesting question. Calvin is the sexier pick but Nnamdi may have a bigger impact.

What is more effective, actually having a solid pass rush or having a great secondary that gives the pass rush more time to get to the QB?

I'll take the talented pass rush because it doesn't matter how good your CB's are, if receivers have time they WILL get open. If we had a legit pass rush along with two very good CB's (McCourty & Bodden) we don't have to worry about the pass rush not getting there and if the o-line slows it down we have two capable CB's.

Last edited:

Having 2 shutdown corners helps everyone else on the defense and would cause a opposing teams to struggle designing a game plan to stop it. Our offense is already great and that's why I think this is an interesting question. Calvin is the sexier pick but Nnamdi may have a bigger impact.

Having two shutdown corners is sure is helping Green Bay right now...

What is more effective, actually having a solid pass rush or having a great secondary that gives the pass rush more time to get to the QB?

I'll take the talented pass rush because it doesn't matter how good your CB's are, if receivers have time they WILL get open. If we had a legit pass rush along with two very good CB's (McCourty & Bodden) we don't have to worry about anything the pass rush not getting there and if the o-line slows it down we have to capable CB's.

Now that is a different discussion. You can certainly win without a shutdown CB. They help, but they are not necessary. I'd still take a shutdown CB over a WR but thats me. It's a very debatable argument.

If people chose a highly skilled WR over lets say Seymour or Reggie White in their primes then they may not understand the overall impact of that type of player on an offense.

Having two shutdown corners is sure is helping Green Bay right now...

Saying Charles Woodson is a shutdown corner is ridiculous, he is average in coverage. Don't know if I'd call Tramon Williams a shutdown corner, I've seen him getting beat a couple of times, but he is indeed very good.
I'd take Nnamdi(?), heck with the development of Devin, and the return a Bodden, who is a average #1, but a very good #2 cb, you could blitz every play.
He's the best CB in the league, along with Revis. Prefer Aso, cause Revis is a Jet.

True, but Nnamdi is probably the top corner in the NFL. We had the number 1 scoring offense, I think defense is a bigger issue.

CB isn't where we need to improve on defense though

This, with Bodden coming back, I think were set at QB. Nnamdi is an awesome corner but right now we need a passrusher over a corner. If that name was DeMarcus Ware or even a player like Troy Polamalu I might change my mind;)

It's no coincidence that the 4 best defenses are left in the playoffs and the 4 best offenses are all gone.
We need to get back to PATRIOT SB WINNING FOOTBALL.
Tough smart D, ball control clutch O and good coaching.
Too much attention has been paid to getting Brady his toys and this team hasn't won it all since.
Sign the free agent veterans for the defense.

Last edited:

It's no coincidence that the 4 best defenses are left in the playoffs and the 4 best offenses are all gone.
Too much attention has been paid to getting Brady his toys and this team hasn't won it all since.

Yes, it is. 3 of the final 4 from last year were offensive teams:

Colts
Saints
Vikings

Last edited:

Green Bay has offense is better than their defense. Especially recently. That offense is clicking on all cylinders.

Yes, it is. 3 of the final 4 from last year were offensive teams:

Colts
Saints
Vikings

Those teams were battling some serious injuries too though.

Saying Charles Woodson is a shutdown corner is ridiculous, he is average in coverage. Don't know if I'd call Tramon Williams a shutdown corner, I've seen him getting beat a couple of times, but he is indeed very good.

Woa. Just because a CB is not as good in coverage as Revis, doesn't mean he is not a shutdown corner. You could easily make the case that these last four years in GB have been the best years production-wise any CB has had in NFL history.

I'd take Nnamdi(?), heck with the development of Devin, and the return a Bodden, who is a average #1, but a very good #2 cb, you could blitz every play.
He's the best CB in the league, along with Revis. Prefer Aso, cause Revis is a Jet.

Bodden was the Patriots #1 CB last year and ranked in the top 15 in INTs, passes defensed, etc. Why is he a #2? Why isn't he a #1? Because he isn't as good as Revis or DMc?

Last edited:

I'd prefer both.

A few ways to look at this:

1. Which unit would be helped more, offense or defense? One could argue that our offense, already at the top of the league needs no help while the defense does. Check for NA.

2. Which position group has players closer in ability to the player we would be adding? I would argue that the jump from McCourty and Bodden to NA is smaller than from Tate and Branch to CJ. Sign me up for CJ here.

In the end I'd probably say NA over CJ but I wouldn't scoff at either.

Last edited:

A few ways to look at this:

1. Which unit would be helped more, offense or defense? One could argue that our offense, already at the top of the league needs no help while the defense does. Check for NA.

2. Which position group has players closer in ability to the player we would be adding? I would argue that the jump from McCourty and Bodden to NA is smaller than from Tate and Branch to CJ. Sign me up for CJ here.

In the end I'd probably say NA over CJ but I wouldn't scoff at either.

I am looking at this from a similar point of view. The Jets have built their team (defense mostly) to defeat us. Our offense can't stay the same. The jets have shown (2 out of 3) that they will at the least give us hell every time if our offense doesn't add some big spark.

My vote is for Suh!!

Calvin Johnson... Didn't we just get away from that kind of offense??

I guess CJ would certainly be an impact player but a guy like SUH... comon.. your talking a player that only comes around once a decade..

Neither of these guys are going to be available....obviously..

However Larry Fitzgerald could be available

and how about Reggie Bush.. Bush seems like the kind of guy Belechick would like to have.. he's not an everydown ound em back but he gives defenses fits..

I'd rather have Nnamdi. I'm tired of having big-time offenses that don't produce in the play-offs. Calvin's great. But when the Pats had great defenses that carried them, they won 3 Super Bowls. Nnamdi, McCourty, and Bodden would be an amazing set of CBs and would allow Belichick to be much more creative on defense.

difficult but i went for Calvin

My football knowledge isnt the best so i might be talking nonsense (forgive me, as a european soccer is my first love)

But the one player id love us to get would be Devin Hester. The field position he would leave our offense to work from would mean even higher scoring totals.

In all likelyhood i doubt we could afford the wages, and if we could i doubt we could offer enough trades for him to Chicago?

Am i talking rubbish?

Out of the two mentioned it would have to be the Megatron for me.

neither. But I would take Clay Matthews, or Ngata :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back