PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - moving on (Pats - Broncos review, Seahawks preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the above comments regarding the state of the Pats and the 2013 salary cap, the one thing that has been a concern of mine for a while now is how top-heavy the Pats cap is/will be next year and beyond.

As it stands right now the Pats have more than one-third of the 2013 cap (over $42 million in cap charges) allocated to just three players.

It is difficult to compare to ten years ago because Tom Brady obviously makes a lot more money and takes up far more cap space - but still, it's a dramatic departure from the business philosophy when it comes to managing the cap for this franchise.

Concerning our 'smaller' DL, Ken, you have to keep in mind that although Jones is smaller than the Pats DEs of years prior such as Warren or Seymour, he is still a run stopping beast. He is 270 lbs and 6'6. His tremendous wingspan and motor allows him to set the edge with great leverage and he also has the speed and athleticism to pursue backside plays which overall imo makes him an upgrade in the run defense game vs our mismash of replacement/aging DEs who were manning the position in years prior..
Maybe Jones might "mature" into a 270-285lb DE, but he's a lot closer to 260 right now than those numbers. But what makes this run stopping DE tandem so surprising is the job Ninko is doing. He's also in the 260 range, but he is relatively short AND with short arms....all the things Jones is NOT, and all the things you'd think you WOULDN'T want your starting 3 down DE to be.

About the only thing that Ninko has going for him is his production. Somehow he's managed to produce a respectable amount of pressures, sacks forced fumbles and big plays that belie his unorthodox size and athletic metrics

Cunningham has become a good #3 in that DE rotation, and we really don't know what we have in Scott and Bequette at this point.

In addition to that Wilfork and Love are probably the best interior run stopping tandem in the NFL. Wilfork is arguably the best NT in football right now and Love simply does not get moved easily. Add in the fact that Mayo is still a tackling machine and Spikes has taken his game to another level and you get the results of the Pats being a top 10 run stopping unit in the NFL. I see this continuing to be the case the rest of the season and they even have a shot of cracking the top 5 if everyone continus to improve, particularly Hightower who has not quite hit his stride yet but has enormous potential..
I don't know about "the best" tandem, but right up there at the top and Brace and Deadrick give us 2 very good back ups for depth. I'm comfortable with either guy in at DT

As to the LB's Mayo has finally become more than just a tackling machine and is starting to make more "big plays" answering his critics. Spikes is a physical force in the middle of the defense and is an impact player when he doesn't guess too much. Hightower's "potential" is clear to see. He can really do it all. Run support, pass rush, and better than expected in coverage, All that plus being a solid tackler and a big hitter. Still its Hightower, not Jones who seems like he needs a big more time to develop, where most of us thought it would be the other way around. Yet I wouldn't trade either of them.

Glad you agree with my thoughts on the empty backfield. It has its place but not like 2007. The running game is just too much of a threat not to present it as a option to the defense at every opportunity. On the opposite trend, I'd like to see us pass more from that 3TE plus a FB formation we show every once in a while.

In regards to the above comments regarding the state of the Pats and the 2013 salary cap, the one thing that has been a concern of mine for a while now is how top-heavy the Pats cap is/will be next year and beyond.

As it stands right now the Pats have more than one-third of the 2013 cap (over $42 million in cap charges) allocated to just three players.

It is difficult to compare to ten years ago because Tom Brady obviously makes a lot more money and takes up far more cap space - but still, it's a dramatic departure from the business philosophy when it comes to managing the cap for this franchise.
I think one of the first things to get done this off season is to fix that $20+MM cap number Brady is going to carry into next season.

Money isn't going to move him. He already makes more money from the limited outside sources he does now that the Pat could pay him, so doing some long term deal that keeps his number around $10MM/yr is almost certainly to be done. He knows he's going to be much happier with good talent around him and a few more rings than a few million more dollars that will make ZERO difference in his life, and the possibility of ending his career on a team with less talent than he has right now.

I think one of the first things to get done this off season is to fix that $20+MM cap number Brady is going to carry into next season.

Money isn't going to move him. He already makes more money from the limited outside sources he does now that the Pat could pay him, so doing some long term deal that keeps his number around $10MM/yr is almost certainly to be done. He knows he's going to be much happier with good talent around him and a few more rings than a few million more dollars that will make ZERO difference in his life, and the possibility of ending his career on a team with less talent than he has right now.

Tom Brady's contract was restructured earlier this year:

Brady restructures contract to provide Patriots with cap space - NFL.com

Tom Brady's contract status:

Tom Brady

Of course it was, it often is.

What Ken is talking about is another extension, which seems more than likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back