PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts – The mid-way through camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of discussions are going on about possible “final” rosters and who is hot and who is not. I have had some ideas about what is going on this camp and thought this would be a good time to put them down on paper.

1. This is going to be perhaps, the deepest Pats team in the BB era. Maybe not the best front line talent ever, but certainly we will have more quality depth at more positions than at any time in memory.

When you look at QB, RB, OL WR, DL, and DB’s. They all run 3 deep in relative quality talent, especially given all the position flexibility we have there. Only the TE’s and LB positions are looking a bit thin, and even there, there can be arguments made that we are fine.

I don’t think that this is by accident. I think BB knows how lucky he was to have survived the injury devastation that plagued us all last season and still wind up 12-4 and in the AFCCG. So to that end he restocked the OL with young talent. Restocked the DL with a bevy of more versatile athletic guys, and packed a secondary with more talent than we’ve ever seen. Many of last year’s starters on a good team, are going to be struggling for playing time on this year’s edition. As a fan you have to LOVE it.

I think that is why we are seeing the myriad of musical chair rotations with the OL, WR’s, DL, and DB’s. BB is preparing his team for the worst by maximizing his team’s position flexibility. You’d be hard pressed to think of a player who will make this roster and be unable to play multiple positions.

2. Every year after the draft we all wring our hands complaining about the picks we made, and even more often the picks we DIDN’T make. This year we all whined about the WR we didn’t pick, the CB we didn’t take. I for one complained bitterly about that hybrid S/.LB we didn’t take. The kind of guy exemplified by Shazir, KPL and the kid from Montana that the Dolphins drafted whose name escapes me.

Well it seems that BB filled those needs in FA with Butler, Tyms, and D.Flemming all making big impressions in the first few weeks of TC. Butler and Tyms have already been widely discussed, but Flemming is also pressing for a roster spot.

I’m constantly amazed how on such a consistently successful team, BB finds one or two young FA’s EVERY year talented enough to make a difficult roster. This year looks to be no different.

3. I don’t think enough has been said about Vince Wilfolk’s remarkable return from such a devastating injury, ESPECIALLY given his size and age. I was one who felt the Pats were better off clearing the cap space, because the MOST we could reasonably expect from him this season was to be a decent run stopper on GL and SY situations.

However, by all reports, Vince is back to being an impact DLman; and is a lot closer to the guy who was a consensus ALL PRO in 2012, playing over 85% of the defensive snaps, to the limited shell of his former self, most of us expected. So while it wouldn’t be realistic to see him play at the 2012 level for so many snaps, it’s safe to say all our expectations for him have got to be raised. Medically it was a remarkable recovery IMHO.

BTW- Tommy Kelly’s, ACL recovery isn’t far behind.

4. So with the Worthy acquisition, the quick start shown by Easley, and solid improvement shown by Joe Villano, plus Chris Jones, Silga, Kelly and Vince, we are starting look like we might have an excess of quality talent at the DT position for a change. So it got me thinking that, with all the injuries around the league (D Dockett being the latest), the Pats might have a nice trade option come open before the end of the pre-season.

5. I don’t think enough has been made of the fact the Pats have, for the most part, played a pretty vanilla 3-4 for the first 2 games. Clearly the personnel is geared to the 4-3. The Worthy acquisition screams 4-3. So why haven’t we been running it? For the most part so far, our best pass rusher from last season has been dropping back in coverage. What’s up with that? I’d love to get into BB’s head to find out what the point is with all this 3-4 play….because I know there IS one.

6. Here are my positions on all the most talked about issues

a. I’m getting more and more comfortable with our situation at TE. I know it looks incredibly thin compared to recent years, but the past is the past. Between Gronk Hooman, Devlin, LaFell, and Solder, the Pats have enough talent to align in 2 TE’s and take advantage of what that alignment gives to an offense.

Among those are forcing defenses to be balanced. Forcing outside pass rushers wider. Taking advantage of smaller players in the run game, and bigger players in passing game. Better pass blocking. The disadvantage is of course not being able to spread the field as much as you can in 3 and 4 WR formations.

b. As of right now Tyms looks like he deserves a roster spot over Josh Boyce. If he keeps up his progression, he’ll get one when he comes back from suspension. The key thing is he has to keep getting better. BB has talked about players in the past who get off to fast starts in TC and for some reason just stall. I don’t think Tyms is going to be such a player, but he still has more to prove.

c. Josh Boyce is likely to keep his roster spot for at least the first 4 games. I think he’s progressed nicely this TC. I’ve seen none of the lazy attitude from him that certain haters have ascribed to him. He’s doing OK, its just Tyms is doing better….right now.

d. More and more posts have been made to show that, while we’d all like him to do it less, Steven Ridley’s so call fumbling issues are more the norm in the league than the exception. Yet somehow his name is connected to fumbling so much more than any other RB in the league, even those who fumble more than he does. He is our best RB, and we need him to be our best RB for this offense to reach its full potential. RB’s will occasionally fumble, and as long as their ball security technique is sound we should all just deal with it and stop making it seem like a capital crime when the inevitable happens .

e. I once thought I had a handle on what would be the best starting OL for this season. Now I haven't a clue. I will be very interested to see how if all finally turns out. For now BB is making it an adventure in learning with almost every series. :eek:

Last edited:
Deep? Really?

S, TE, DE, LB, are all thin. And the o-line may have a bunch of bodies, but they haven't exactly looked so hot thus far.

I’m getting more and more comfortable with our situation at TE. I know it looks incredibly thin compared to recent years, but the past is the past. Between Gronk Hooman, Devlin, LaFell, and Solder, the Pats have enough talent to align in 2 TE’s and take advantage of what that alignment gives to an offense.

So all they need is to move their fullback, wide receiver, and left tackle to TE and they're fine

I'd feel better about the team's overall depth if we went reliably even two deep at safety, or three deep at TE, or had a more locked-in DE3. This team seems to be a bit of a hybrid: excellent depth in some positions, and really suspect depth in others. Pretty much par for the course on a salary cap-era team.

So all they need is to move their fullback, wide receiver, and left tackle to TE and they're fine

Not to speak for Ken, but I don't think that's what he's saying. What he is saying is that there are a lot of ways to "do tight end", just as there were a lot of ways to "do fullback" when they ran the two tight end set and didn't carry a fullback on the roster. The nature of the position demands such a diverse skill set to do well, that it's many functions can be broken down into players that suit the individual situational requirements.

It's really no different than saying, "We have one all world defensive tackle and not much else behind him. However we do have a good run stuffer and a good pass rusher which the team can switch out depending on situation." There's a lot of ways positional flexibility on the roster can be substituted for depth in the traditional sense at Swiss Army knife positions like TE.

What’s up with that? I’d love to get into BB’s head to find out what the point is with all this 3-4 play….because I know there IS one.

I bet it has something to do with taking players out of their comfort zone and seeing who pops and for what.

Kind of like: I know what youre good at. Now show me something I didnt know you were good at.

Last edited:
I bet is has something to do with taking players out of their comfort zone and seeing who pops and for what.

Kind of like: I know what youre good at. Now show me something I didnt know you were at.

^this, and let's not forget that the 2007 team put nothing on tape offensively the entire preseason then exploded out of the gates. I get the same feeling here. He knows what he has.

Nice job once again Ken.

This is clearly a deeper and more versatile team than left training camp last year. Should they be the beneficiary of better luck in the health department, they have the potential to be far better than the group that gutted out 12 wins (plus one in playoffs) in 2013.

Do the math - no team can be deep everywhere.

Deep? Really?

S, TE, DE, LB, are all thin. And the o-line may have a bunch of bodies, but they haven't exactly looked so hot thus far.

Still waiting for the list of team's that have been to 3 Championships games and a Super Bowl during a total rebuild Tony. You should be able to provide them no problem give that you are such and expert in roster building.

let's see them Tony should be easy for you to produce.

unless you really don't know what you are talking about..................

^this, and let's not forget that the 2007 team put nothing on tape offensively the entire preseason then exploded out of the gates. I get the same feeling here. He knows what he has.

Ive really got to stop posting from my Kindle (Edit/Input Box is TINY and I have to scroll just to see a whole sentence).

Feel free to correct those terrible misspellings. ;)

d. More and more posts have been made to show that, while we’d all like him to do it less, Steven Ridley’s so call fumbling issues are more the norm in the league than the exception. Yet somehow his name is connected to fumbling so much more than any other RB in the league, even those who fumble more than he does. ....

Not sure how this happens but that is a good observation. Somehow he has got a reputation in the
league as a fumbler. Maybe it is the media. How many times have they regurgitated the hype on
Stevan's fumble issues. However it has happened it makes life very difficult for Stevan.

If his fumble issue is perceived to be a weakness whether right or not, it seems teams will be attacking
with more ferocity to get the ball loose because they perceive they have good probability of getting
it loose when he has he rock. This added attention and extra effort may mean he'll get more fumbles
than he normally would have had without the reputation. Maybe he can change this perception by not fumbling for a long time, ... longer than average for most RBs

Not sure how this happens but that is a good observation. Somehow he has got a reputation in the
league as a fumbler. Maybe it is the media. How many times have they regurgitated the hype on
Stevan's fumble issues. However it has happened it makes life very difficult for Stevan.

If his fumble issue is perceived to be a weakness whether right or not, it seems teams will be attacking
with more ferocity to get the ball loose because they perceive they have good probability of getting
it loose when he has he rock. This added attention and extra effort may mean he'll get more fumbles
than he normally would have had without the reputation. Maybe he can change this perception by not fumbling for a long time, ... longer than average for most RBs
Yes, that's the only way he's going to get rid of the "fumbler" label. And it's not exactly the media's fault. BB is the one who benches Ridley immediately when he fumbles, which draws attention. Stevan is capable of being a top-10 RB in this league. He just needs to hold on to the ball to be allowed to do it.

I agree with most of what you wrote but our high end talent should be as good or better than past BB/Brady teams. Gronk and Revis would be the best player on at least 20 other teams in the league.

Yes, that's the only way he's going to get rid of the "fumbler" label. And it's not exactly the media's fault. BB is the one who benches Ridley immediately when he fumbles, which draws attention. Stevan is capable of being a top-10 RB in this league. He just needs to hold on to the ball to be allowed to do it.
I agree. His fumble total isn't atrocious when compared to other primary RBs (similar number of touches).

The issue came about/moniker because of 3 factors. (1) BB obviously was not happy and benched him (because BB had depth and other options). (2) He had multiple (majority of them) in a short burst of time (1-2 games in quick succession -- when he played. (3) This probably led to the first point. He fumbled when the game mattered most. i.e. in scoring position or early in a drive while inside 30 yards. I recall mostly fumbling on goal line situations and costing team points.

There's great depth before the roster cutdowns and great depth after. For us to have great depth after, it would mean that the end of roster guys and toughest cuts are unusually talented, when compared with those on or from other teams in the league. Is that your contention, Ken?

If so, it's not totally crazy. But we're likely to have some fairly pathetic backups/rotational players make the team at DE and LB, and it's not that big a statement to have guys like Boyce, Bolden or Wilson on the bubble. So I think you may be overstating the case.

I do agree that having a couple of players suspended can be viewed as good depth, but that's not an ideal approach to team management ...

Patfanken, thank you for your posts during training camp, they are awesome.

About deepest team.
I am thinking that BB is doing clone of some players. Not really clones but players who are similar type at position:
  • Brady - Jimmy G
  • Wilfork - Siliga
  • Veeren - White
  • Easley - Worthy
  • Chung - Wilson
  • Ch.Jones - Z. Moore
  • Mcourty - Logan Ryan/Arrington (I am more on Arrington, who is faster)
  • Collins - Anderson/Fleming
  • Gronk - Justin Jones (I think that he has potential and BB put him out for a week so that they could put him to PS) TE with Hooman, Develin and 2 TE on PS is fine.

Don't know about the O-line but the fact that they are shuffling everybody, they want to be prepared.

Wendell is gone and I dont like the Stork pick because he is injury prone and he had a really good O-line in college. So Connolly is out next year, do you think that we have on the roster some player who will be able to learn the center position? I read on this forum that Halapio could be playing RG and C (I am taking this with big reserve, but with the idea to have players who can play multiple positions...)

I also like Ridley and there are a lot of players who fumble more than him, but this is because he fumbled in a very important game in his rookie season and BB put him in a doghouse last year, so the media is writing about this and people write what they read in media:)

It is funny how the media reacts. I think that Devey isn't on the 53, but he played every snap so after the game and in next practice guess who was getting the media attention. Maybe I am wrong or maybe this is a decoy so that BB can put him and Halapio on PS and other teams forgets bout Halapio:)

The main thing I might disagree with is that I think the frontline talent is there again. Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Jones, Mayo, McCourty and Revis are all realistic pro bowlers coming in. Add some up and comers led by Collins followed by the likes of Solder, Vollmer and Easley (and possibly a not out of position Hightower), health allowing, our top line guys are pretty impressive and mostly young.

Last edited:
I agree. His fumble total isn't atrocious when compared to other primary RBs (similar number of touches).

The issue came about/moniker because of 3 factors. (1) BB obviously was not happy and benched him (because BB had depth and other options). (2) He had multiple (majority of them) in a short burst of time (1-2 games in quick succession -- when he played. (3) This probably led to the first point. He fumbled when the game mattered most. i.e. in scoring position or early in a drive while inside 30 yards. I recall mostly fumbling on goal line situations and costing team points.

1) BB over reacted

2) the media caught onto it

3) It got into the kid's psyche.

It could have been handled alot better.

The main thing I might disagree with is that I think the fromtline talent is there again. Brady, Gronk, Edelman,. Jones, Mayo, McCourty and Revis are all realistic pro bowlers coming in. Add some up and comers led by Collins followed by the likes of Solder, Vollmer and Easley (and possibly a not out of position Hightower), healrh allowing, our top line guys are pretty impressive and mostly young.

Agreed, while guys like Edelman, Jones, and Mayo may be snubbed due to the unusual amount of excellent talent at their position league wide it doesn't diminish the fact that they are more than capable and deserving of potential probowl nods.

And a few of the upcomers you named are garnering national attention, it's not just a crazy fan-base hype project.

This team has more than depth at most positions, the starters have top tier talent across multiple positions and we should once again be a top 3 offense in yards, points, passing yards, and top 10 once again in rushing yards.

Defensively should be a top 10 total unit in all categories.

I also love the diversity in our skill positions on offense, I can't think of the last time we've had so many players fulfilling different roles, how they pan out will be something to watch, but on paper we appear to have at least one deep threat (Dobson), a pair of possession receivers (LaFell/Thompkins), a pair of slot/do it all guys (Edelman/Amendola), a top 5 impact player when healthy, period (Gronkowski) and a capable stable of pass catching and pure rushing running backs.

Even the 2007 team was basically Welker underneath or Moss deep with a good 3rd down RB in Faulk, I'm in no way saying that this 2014 team will be better, but they will be capable of winning on offense in different ways than the 2007 crew, which basically said "We're doing this, now try to stop us". 2014 will make opponents figure out what they plan to do, and THEN try to stop it.

Deep? Really?

Balogna!! Your 4 listed position weaknesses are not really that weak.

S A Prowbowl FS and three high Draft picks for the other, hardly represents a poor squad. All are young, but blooded, and their best football is in front of them. I'm sorry that we don't have two AllPros, and a Probowler or 3, in reserve.

TE Only an All League TE and a typical better than average backup, along with a FB/H-back/TE, and a couple of OLs for blocking. Woeful according to you.

DE Two accomplished starters including one on the verge of Pro Bowl status, and backed up by a former stud and still recovering vet, and a pair of talented youngsters, plus a couple of pretty fair OLBs. Oh Woe is me, what a miserable collection...

LB Your only valid critique, on the surface; but not really. They have an accomplished four in Mayo Hightower, Collins & Anderson. But Ninko is a good talent who could be called on in an emergency to make five. BB usually saves a LB position for ST, and Chris White is a ST maven.

Darius Flemming is raw, and looks like he could develop too. Playing 4-2-5 and sometimes 3-2-6 the majority of the time, reduces the need for LBs. These days Pat Chung and Tavon Wilson are better against the pass then most all LBs, despite criticism as SS, but have the same size as many other teams LBs. Neither is bad against the run either. Rename them LBs if you want.

So move players where needed (Ninko), or change their titles, (DT Easley to DE), and your comments are wholly invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back