PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I have noticed in a lot of patsfans mocks people taking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
DeAndre Jackson, CB from Iowa State.
Being a huge ISU fan, I have had an opportunity to watch most of their games and thought I would share some info on him since this may be the only topic I know more than some of you other geniuses around here.

This past season Jackson was lost for most of the year with a torn ACL so that probably will hurt his stock somewhat in the draft. His Junior year was by far his best, with 5 ints and 4 forced fumbles, both of which put him at the top of the big 12. The Cyclones played a very standard defense under McCarney which put the corners in a lot of man to man coverage. He started opposite hobbs and they both had success.

Jackson has good size at 6-0 and fairly decent speed, although it will be interesting to see if he runs at the combine, and if he runs well.

Like hobbs he was an academic all american, so he has the smarts to play in the NFL. He is a good kickoff returner, showing good vision more than actual speed on kickoffs. Has the same type of confident swagger that Hobbs has, although I find it a little over the top at times. As you can see by his interception and fumbel numbers he has a knack for finding the ball.

Is very aggressive which can lead to getting beat on double moves. Needs to work a little on his hips but is pretty good.

Will fit in on special teams right away and could play and have success as a nickleback. With his size I think that he has the potential to be a very good corner in the NFL.

Also from Cyclone Nation I really like Scott Stephenson, C. Great size and toughness with experience at other positions along the line. Versitile and tough, plays through injuries. I can get into him more if there is interest.

Thanks MWP! Go ahead and detail Stephenson, it can't hurt.

DeAndre Jackson, CB from Iowa State.
Being a huge ISU fan, I have had an opportunity to watch most of their games and thought I would share some info on him since this may be the only topic I know more than some of you other geniuses around here.

This past season Jackson was lost for most of the year with a torn ACL so that probably will hurt his stock somewhat in the draft. His Junior year was by far his best, with 5 ints and 4 forced fumbles, both of which put him at the top of the big 12. The Cyclones played a very standard defense under McCarney which put the corners in a lot of man to man coverage. He started opposite hobbs and they both had success.

Jackson has good size at 6-0 and fairly decent speed, although it will be interesting to see if he runs at the combine, and if he runs well.

Like hobbs he was an academic all american, so he has the smarts to play in the NFL. He is a good kickoff returner, showing good vision more than actual speed on kickoffs. Has the same type of confident swagger that Hobbs has, although I find it a little over the top at times. As you can see by his interception and fumbel numbers he has a knack for finding the ball.

Is very aggressive which can lead to getting beat on double moves. Needs to work a little on his hips but is pretty good.

Will fit in on special teams right away and could play and have success as a nickleback. With his size I think that he has the potential to be a very good corner in the NFL.

Also from Cyclone Nation I really like Scott Stephenson, C. Great size and toughness with experience at other positions along the line. Versitile and tough, plays through injuries. I can get into him more if there is interest.

What round do you see him going in?

Name: DeAndre Jackson (+) Knee, Out for Season
College: Iowa State Number: 4
Height: 5-11 Weight: 192
Position: CB Pos2: KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.48 40 Low: 4.44 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 5-6
Rated number 20 out of 219 CB's 179/2338 TOTAL

Analysis

Positives: Productive four-year starter in the Big 12. All conference cornerback in 2005 when he led the team interceptions (five), passes broken up (13) and forced fumbles (four). Good read and reaction skills. Good speed. Breaks on the ball well. Legitimate playmaker as a returner, as well as on the defensive side of the ball. Averaged 24.6 yards on 26 returns in 2005. Team captain in 2006 despite missing half the season with injury.

Negatives: Torn ACL cost Jackson the second half of the 2006 season. Better zone defender than in man-to-man. Timed in the high 4.4s, but speed doesn't translate well onto the field. Marginal open-field tackler.

What round do I think,
Honestly I think he will still be on the board in the 6th or even 7th. Unfortunately he is coming off a major injury. Add to that the fact that he played on a horrible team that has very little exposure outside of the Iowa area. He has been invited to the combine, but I doubt he will be able to do much there, so teams will be limited on what they will be able to see from him. He had a great junior year but had not put up great numbers before the injury, so that could hurt him as well. I think he will be a great value come the draft, if he can be got in the later rounds of the draft, he could prove to be a great value pick down the road.

Thanks for the insights, it's great to get that kind of detail on lesser-known prospects.

Did not know Hobbs was an academic all american, just a little factoid that I will store in the memory locker.

DB and Hips

I used to think that fluid hips were the most important thing for a DB and I'm sure for many teams, they consider loose hips a must. But I don't think BB buys into that logic 100%. One of the knocks on Sanders and Hobbs was they didn't have fluid hips, but BB took them both. He's done that with other DB's as well.

The bottom line is a DB with tight hips can still be on the BB draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes