PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I beat mgteich at posting first 53 man Roster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine we'll keep two FS and two SS plus an additional "shadow" Safety which is just a ST player with the role of Safety.

FS: McCourty
FS: Duron Harmon
SS: Adrian Wilson
SS: Tavon Wilson
ST: Nate Ebner

Although, I guess I wouldn't completely consider Gregory a FS. He only went really deep occasionally. Should be an interesting camp battle at that position which is a good thing.

I have a problem with people listing Slater as the 5th wide receiver. He has caught one pass for the patriots in 5 yrs and had 0 in college meaning his catch before last was most likely in a high school game in 2003.

If the team had one play to run from the 10 yd line to win the Super Bowl, I bet belichick would probably find 180 wide receivers to line up before slater. How else can you explain his lack of receptions in the most dominant passing offense in the history of the nfl over a 5 yr stretch (points scored at least).

He belongs on the ST list with the punter kicker and long snapper.

I have a problem with people listing Slater as the 5th wide receiver. He has caught one pass for the patriots in 5 yrs and had 0 in college meaning his catch before last was most likely in a high school game in 2003.

If the team had one play to run from the 10 yd line to win the Super Bowl, I bet belichick would probably find 180 wide receivers to line up before slater. How else can you explain his lack of receptions in the most dominant passing offense in the history of the nfl over a 5 yr stretch (points scored at least).

He belongs on the ST list with the punter kicker and long snapper.

I think he has enough of a snap count that he's shown to be a very unproductive WR.

Basically, anybody you line up at WR takes a defender with him; Slater is fast enough to require a fast defender to run with him; and that right there is the overwhelming majority of his contribution at WR.

Dennard could do as much and Vereen more.

Except -- Slater presumably runs to the correct spot on the field, or else he wouldn't get even the snaps he does.

Slater definitely deserves his own position when making these roster mocks.

Pro Bowl Special Teams Ace or something.

While predicting 53 man roster spots are a fun exercise for the training camp months/summer, it's also completely pointless to try and attempt in the month of April.

There will be a handful of injuries, guys placed on IR, a case or two of the "Foxborough Flu," and at least another several moves to be made through other teams' roster cuts. On top of that we'll have overachievers, underachievers, and everything in between--on top of UDFA's who no one predicts or sees coming.

As a matter of fact, it's such a waste of time--it's almost as pointless as making mock drafts.

Slater definitely deserves his own position when making these roster mocks.

Pro Bowl Special Teams Ace or something.

I tend to label Slater as a ST-only player, which usually consists of our punter, kicker, longsnapper, and a small handful of other players usually totaling around 3-4-5.

53-60 man rosters are simply a way of keeping track of where we are at any point in time.
Sure, injuries will effect the final roster. Sure some players will step up, be signed, or be traded. But, we are where we are. Perhaps the 53 man roster will change a lot between now and Game One (really Game 3), perhaps not.

While predicting 53 man roster spots are a fun exercise for the training camp months/summer, it's also completely pointless to try and attempt in the month of April.

There will be a handful of injuries, guys placed on IR, a case or two of the "Foxborough Flu," and at least another several moves to be made through other teams' roster cuts. On top of that we'll have overachievers, underachievers, and everything in between--on top of UDFA's who no one predicts or sees coming.

As a matter of fact, it's such a waste of time--it's almost as pointless as making mock drafts.

Count me among those who thinks Harmon knocks Gregory off the roster and they stick with Ebner because of his upside, youth, and ST abilities. That said i agree with the OP roster completely other than that tweak.

If Harmon is beats out Gregory, he certainly will not be a reach for a 3rd rounder.

Count me among those who thinks Harmon knocks Gregory off the roster and they stick with Ebner because of his upside, youth, and ST abilities. That said i agree with the OP roster completely other than that tweak.

I guess that I sometimes forget that we really only NEED 7 defensive backs: 4 corners and 3 safeties. The additional 3-4 are luxuries and are usually special teamers or developmental players. Our #8 defensive back is hopefully a solid backup.

So, yes, the fourth and fifth safety spot could both go to special teamers and developmental players. This would be made possible if Tavon steps up and A. Wilson is at least a quality #3. In the end, it would be Tavon and Wilson who would be pushing out of the safety spots.

4th safety

How many ST only players do you guys keep in mocks?

2 DBs, 1 WR, 2 LBs?

Hopefully, some of these players are more than special-teams only players. I only count 2 ST only players in my rosters. Last year, those were Slater and Ebner.

Unfortunately, guys like Koutouvides and White (or Rivers or Tarpinian) end up play linebacker. As we saw the CB/ST (Cole) also was called upon to play corner.

How many ST only players do you guys keep in mocks?

2 DBs, 1 WR, 2 LBs?

I still don't understand why Slater makes it every year. Yes, he's great on special teams, but outside of that, is he even average in anything else? In order to be considered versatile, don't you have to be good in more than 1 position? :confused:

Many players play only one position. Does Gostkowski play another position? Does Wilfork? What about Dobson?

I still don't understand why Slater makes it every year. Yes, he's great on special teams, but outside of that, is he even average in anything else? In order to be considered versatile, don't you have to be good in more than 1 position? :confused:

If you check you would see that slater makes like every st tackle

So 7th rounders Steve Beauharnais and Michael Buchanan probably go to the PS?

It used to be there were always fans who complained about the long snapper, too. "Why does BB insist on wasting a roster spot on a guy who can only long snap? Why not just get one of the position players to do that?" But I'm pretty sure that every single team in the league carries a dedicated LS at this point, and for good reason.

Anyway, our special teams captain is not only one of the best gunners ever and a perennial All-Pro, but also an excellent role model for incoming young players. I'm glad to have him.

So 7th rounders Steve Beauharnais and Michael Buchanan probably go to the PS?

I think Buchanan beats out Cunningham and Bequette and Beauharnais takes Rivera's spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back