PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical: Would you trade the first 3 SBs for the last 2?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Trade the first 3 for last 2?

• Yes

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSPF you can argue all you like but if I give a child the choice between 2 lollies or 3 lollies of the same brand 99.9% of the time the children are going to take the 3 lollies.

I understand your point of view and have put forward many different reasons as to why it's invalid. Either way, this thread wouldn't be in existence if both teams had executed. That annoys me more than anything else, missed opportunities for all time status.
To make this more accurate when describing one of the two on the two lolly side you need to describe it as the perfect lolly maybe even mention some kid had one back in 72 and still can't shut up about it.

It's tempting but I'd still take the 3 super bowls.

Definitely see the points to '07 and '11 though in terms of all time legacy. Plus no matter what we do from this point people will always remember how the Giants had our number. Good chance we may not see them again in a SB and no amount of regular season wins could make up for those 2 wins.

That said I'll still take 3 plus the chances we could still add a couple more before Brady and BB are done. Given by how well it's run the team should still have a solid core by that time and remain competitive. Still a chance for the franchise to tie or move ahead of the Steelers ring total.

I wouldn't trade the first Super Bowl alone for the last 2. My grandmother had died the day before Super Bowl 36 and while we knew it was coming, it was still really difficult. It was hard seeing how wrecked my grandpa was. I didn't expect to see the game live because her visitation was that day. However, my mom suggested I had back to my grandpa's and watch it.

I sat there alone watching the game, going in never really expecting them to win, was just so amazed they had made it that far, so grateful for the happiness the season had brought while watching my mom and sister take weekly shifts to stay with my grandparents while she died of cancer. When Law made the pick 6, it was on. I, like most I'm sure, wanted to cry almost when the holding penalty on McGinest wiped out a 24-3 lead. I stressed after the first TD and sunk after the tying score. Then I looked at the clock, saw how much time we had left, and knew. A peace came over me and I knew we were about to win the Super Bowl.

I really don't remember a lot after Vinatieri made the kick and the clock hit zero. I just remember being on my knees on the living room floor, laughing. I couldn't stop smiling. I knew the funeral was the next day and I was still hurting but everything was perfect for a little while, and that's all I needed. When my family returned, my grandpa walked in, looked at me and had a big smile on his face. He was happy for me, and that made things easier for him. Because of that, that kick is one of the greatest moments of my life, and I wouldn't trade that smile on my grandpa's face for 50 Super Bowl wins.

Nope. When AV's kick sailed through the uprights in 2001 that was one of the happiest moments of my life. Losing the last 2 stinks, but I think it's kept us hungry and competative (fans and team alike). I am always afraid that if Brady wins another one, he'll retire, but that won't stop me from hoping we get there again this year!!

Oh no way!

2001 will always be the one, it was the first it was the sweetest and it was just such a perfect moment for me in my life, everything was going great at the time.After watching 85 as a little kid and then 96 and the all the losses in between it was just a great moment in Pat's history:rocker:

The other 2 were great too, I don't remember much of the Carolina one, was loaded at the bar talking smack to all the haters, think I got into a fight that night...:eat2: Eagles I just watched by myself, I knew it was the last one we would win for awhile. I remember saying to myself, live it up cause this gonna be that last we get for awhile.

The perfect season was crazy, I don't even want to go there I just forget about that season.....Last year was tough but I was just glad to be back to the SuperBowl, us fans should never take these things for granted cause you could be a Lions fan or a Jets fan and never even go.

3>2 anyday of the week!

I would give them all up for 19-0!

No.

The first one is special because it was first.

The other two are back to back.

Only 42 of the lost ones is special.

There is not one sports related thing and very few non sports related things I would trade superbowl 36 for.

For sports memories I go back a long time, and for me the 2001 SB win is a toss-up with the Celtics win in 1969. That was the year that Bill Russell was the player coach and the Celts had barely made the playoffs, but ended up winning it all in 7 at LA. That Lakers team had a roster that looks like the NBA HOF roster. If I had to put one ahead it might be the 2001 SB because I got to experience that celebration with my two sons.

Voted no, mainly because of 2001. You just dont give up something like this.

Also 2011 was nothing special really, apart from the revenge for 2007.

OTOH 2007 for 2003 or 2004 is an easy trade for me, maybe even for both. Although having lost against that Eagles team, would have been as embarassing as the two giants losses where.

The real horrible thing is, that 10 Years from now more people will remember the 2005 Steelers than the 2007 Pats, because we will not be in the winners list.

The real horrible thing is, that 10 Years from now more people will remember the 2005 Steelers than the 2007 Pats, because we will not be in the winners list.

Ask people who won the 2005 SB and 1/2 of them will know.

Ask people about the 2007 Patriots than missed perfection by 30 seconds and they know exactly what you are talking about.

They are "Tin Cup" immortal.

Ask people who won the 2005 SB and 1/2 of them will know.

Ask people about the 2007 Patriots than missed perfection by 30 seconds and they know exactly what you are talking about.

They are "Tin Cup" immortal.

Yeah I don't know how anyone could say the 2007 Patriots will be remembered any less than some of those champions. There were a handful of wild card teams that had mediocre regular seasons, caught fire at the right time and won it all in that period(Steelers '05, Colts, Packers, Giants twice). Of those five teams only the Giants first SB will really be remembered because it's what cost us 19-0. The rest IMO fall into the 'any given Sunday' category where they just got on a roll at the right time. Those teams won their title and none made it further than the divisional round the following year. The '16-0' banner gets mocked alot and I too think it's just a kick in the nuts and painful reminder of what happened in SB42, but it does make sense in the way that that is probably more memorable than alot of Super Bowl champions(note: I'm not saying better or preferable, but more memorable).

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know how anyone could say the 2007 Patriots will be remembered any less than some of those champions. There were a handful of wild card teams that had mediocre regular seasons, caught fire at the right time and won it all in that period(Steelers '05, Colts, Packers, Giants twice). Of those five teams only the Giants first SB will really be remembered because it's what cost us 19-0. The rest IMO fall into the 'any given Sunday' category where they just got on a roll at the right time. The '16-0' banner gets mocked alot and I too think it's just a kick in the nuts and painful reminder of what happened in SB42, but it does make sense in the way that that is probably more memorable than alot of Super Bowl champions.

As much as it hurts, that season was a great ride and that team deserves to be remembered in a positive light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes