PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical: Would you trade the first 3 SBs for the last 2?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Trade the first 3 for last 2?

• Yes

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tall trees experience high winds" - Tom Brady

The last two SB losses and the 06 AFCCG have been truly soul-crushing. As a result of my inability to put football in its proper perspective in relation to what's really important in life, I've developed a completely unhealthy obsession with getting a 4th ring that has played an embarrassingly large role in my life these last five years, and I regret that very much.

But I would never trade the experiences of SB36, 38, & 39 for anything.

Let's just go get ring #4 and put the horrors that are the SB42 & SB46 to bed.

Oh man. Can the season just start already?

I'm not sure I'd be able to mentaly handle the Patriots losing three Super Bowls in four seasons. ...

Exactly. Who knows where this franchise would have been in '07 if not for 01-04.

Exactly. Who knows where this franchise would have been in '07 if not for 01-04.

Great comment and spot on. Can anyone say Buffalo Bills?

The first SB win was SO Great. Red Sox were losers. Celtics were pathetic, their glory days were long gone. The Jacobs brothers were showing everyone how not to run a team. And let's just say we Pats fans were not being overwhelmed by success.

We are so spoiled with the recent success of the Boston sports teams I think we forget how stupendous that first SB win was, and what it meant. I wouldn't trade that one for anything.

Nope - will not trade away 2001 for 2007!!

Going to have to get that 19-0 dream season, this year, then, that's it.

Done!

You didn't understand the question.

Your record doesn't mean diddly squat if you win the Superbowl. I'm sure the Giants are crying into their silverware and rings.

Quick, name every Super Bowl champion in order! If you're like most people, you can't.

But who won the Super Bowl in the 1972 season? 1986? Face it, there's a difference between being a champion and being an all-time great team. 40 years from now few are going to remember a team like, idk, say the 2002 Bucs. They're practically already forgotten, and Jon Gruden is more remembered for his ridiculous broadcasts than his coaching. The 2007 Patriots would never have been forgotten had they won one more game.

The truly competitive people, like TFB for example, are never satisfied unless they're the best ever. Or maybe not even merely the best ever, they want to be the best it's possible to be.

Last edited:
No. 3 superbowls for 2? In what universe is 2 greater than 3? There is no reasonable opinion that can be put forth to exchange 3 for 2.

Seriously,

/thread

A better hypothetical would involve coming up with something Pats-related that you would sacrifice for those 2 Super Bowl wins and Brady becoming the undisputed GOAT of the NFL.

I'm too lazy to quote what BradyManny wrote, but I echo his sentiments. Just get that 4th to enter the pantheon, and we can end this perpetual blue balls we have experienced as fans for the last several years.

Last edited:
There's a "Butterfly Flaps its Wings in China" aspect to this comparison.

Who knows what would have happened if the Pats had lost three of the four big games between 01 and 04?

Would a Randy Moss have even joined the team for that remarkable 2007 season? Would the fans and press in New England have insisted on Belichick's head with all the comparisons to the futility of the Bills going ohferfour under Levy? Would Brady have developed into the seasoned and hardened champion he became to lead the team back two more times? Would a player like Welker have joined the team at what practically amounted to minimum wage? Would other players have taken the contracts they did in order to play for a dominant Champion and make room for others?

The only answer we can give to any of those questions is, "Maybe...Maybe not."

All I know is that the most rewarding moment in my life as a sports fan occurred when Adam Vinatieri's kick split the uprights that night in 2002. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Last edited:
1) There was no greater SB victory than the one that came in february of 2002...not only because it was the first SB win ever for NE but to be a team called 'the Patriots' just months after 9/11 left me proud to not only be a Patriots fan but an american.

2) Did anyone but Eagles fans want to see the eagles and their miserable fan base win a title?

3) We may not have won the SB in 2007/08 but something that may never be done is still intact ...a 16-0 regular season....many have come close,none have ever done it and it still goes on.

4) How many SB teams won 3 or more titles compared to just 2 or less?...it makes a difference.

To summarize it all,the answer is NO...I would not want to trade 3 SBs for the last 2

Quick, name every Super Bowl champion in order! If you're like most people, you can't.

But who won the Super Bowl in the 1972 season? 1986? Face it, there's a difference between being a champion and being an all-time great team. 40 years from now few are going to remember a team like, idk, say the 2002 Bucs. They're practically already forgotten, and Jon Gruden is more remembered for his ridiculous broadcasts than his coaching. The 2007 Patriots would never have been forgotten had they won one more game.

The truly competitive people, like TFB for example, are never satisfied unless they're the best ever. Or maybe not even merely the best ever, they want to be the best it's possible to be.
The Patriots three Superbowls in 4 seasons puts them in a dynasty discussion. The Patriots level of success in the 00's further emphasises that.

Feel free to argue semantics all you like. Three will always be greater than two. The reality is the 2007/2008 and the 2011/2012 Patriots were not good enough to win a Superbowl and don't deserve discussion compared against Patriots teams who were good enough to win the Superbowl.

Last edited:
no..ill take the first 3..i was so happy those 3...would have been amazing if they won 1 of the last 2...but oh well..**** happens

Honestly, it'd be close for me. Tough to consider. Among other things, it would mean that Seau would have got his ring in 2007, and guys like Welker, Moss, Mayo, etc. would have them as well. Would have given Bruschi a chance to retire on a really high note after 2007. And really, 19-0 would have just been incredibly cool. Ultimately, though, I still think I'd take 3 over 2.

Now, would I trade 2003 and 2004 for 2007 and 2011? Absolutely.

Last edited:
Only fans of a team that has been as succesful as the Pats have been recently could ask such a question.

I would never, ever, trade in a SB win for "future success". Ever. Regardless of how those SB wins were decided.

Keep in mind, your team won 3 of 4 at one point. Who cares about losses? 3 0f 4 is dynastic. You guys have been able to wake up on SB Sunday 5 times in the last 11 years with something to cheer for that day.

Take it from a Bills fan. You never trade away a SB win nor do you take getting there for granted.

We wouldnt be called the team of the 2000's if it werent for the first 3. I'll take being a dynasty over one perfect season any day.

No.

I don't think the last 2 SB would've happened if it hadn't been the first 3 Championships. Besides, this book isn't finished yet and I believe the Pats still have a few more years to seriously contend for another SB title and if that happens then there is no longer an argument that TB&BB are the greatest of all time. Plus, I agree with several other posters who have a soft spot for SB36. I'll never forget the feeling.:)

There is not one sports related thing and very few non sports related things I would trade superbowl 36 for.

Yeah, at the end of the day I agree with this. Having that 19-0 season is tempting at first, but the way SB 36 happened and the time/place/what it meant to me...man, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Now, would I trade 2003 and 2004 for 2007 and 2011? Absolutely.

Here here, I'll second that. Maybe just an '03 for '07 would be enough for me.

Pretty nice to be able to have this discussion. Brady and Belichick = 5 Super Bowl appearances in ten years (exclude 00 and 08) = awesome. Enjoy.

still surprised this thread is still going

No. 3 superbowls for 2? In what universe is 2 greater than 3? There is no reasonable opinion that can be put forth to exchange 3 for 2.

This is assuming all Super Bowls are the same. Super Bowl 42 would have been the most remembered game won by the greatest team of all time.

Our SB wins from 2001, 2003, and 2004 blend in with about 40+ other games.
SB 42 was for immortality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back