PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you could only bring one back in 2014 who would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jules! Guys been making plays for us since 2009.

His first 4 years produced catch totals of:

It's kind of difficult to say that he's been some great player since '09. He's been a good punt returner (when healthy), but Amendola's had catch totals of 85, 63, and 43, along with leading the NFL himself in kick return yardage in his rookie year, showing his importance on special teams himself.

Julian Edelman Game Averages
8.1 Targets Per Game
5.5 Rec Per Game
55.4 Yard Per Game
10.0 Avg.
4 TD
HEALTHY

Danny Amendola Game Averages
7.1 Targets Per Game
4.5 Rec Per Game
51.1 Yard Per Game
11.2 Avg.
1 TD
TORN GROIN MUSCLE
--

If Edelman is looking for anything more than $1-$1.5 million a year, he is as good as gone and TJ Moe will take his spot.

The premise of the thread is getting rid of Amendola to keep Welker, which is ridiculous because that isn't going to happen, They will try to keep Edelman but cutting Amendola is not going to be in play as they try to re-sign him.

The main part where I disagree with Brady6 is that I feel that he has given up rather quickly--actually, much too quickly. Other than that, I have no problem with anyone comparing one player to another, or wanting a certain player to leave etc. That's just personal opinion, even if I don't agree myself. I can't really fault him for that. If I were going to fault him, it'd be for jumping to conclusions too quickly in a limited sample size. Otherwise, it just seems like it's his opinion and just like yours or anyone else's, I'm going to respect that opinion even if I disagree.

As far as the premise of the thread, I saw on page 3 where he said "hypothetical situation, no contracts, etc" so that it why I said that I thought it was an appropriate or "valid" question. I may have misunderstood however.

His first 4 years produced catch totals of:

It's kind of difficult to say that he's been some great player since '09. He's been a good punt returner (when healthy), but Amendola's had catch totals of 85, 63, and 43, along with leading the NFL himself in kick return yardage in his rookie year, showing his importance on special teams himself.

Edelman was very important to the 2011 SB run playing sub cornerback, that might not register as a reception but Edelman has always contributed to helping this team win. Amendola was has never been to the playoffs and his team record entering 2013 was 19-46-1 so what he did was hitting the stat sheet but not much else.

The main part where I disagree with Brady6 is that I feel that he has given up rather quickly--actually, much too quickly. Other than that, I have no problem with anyone comparing one player to another, or wanting a certain player to leave etc. That's just personal opinion, even if I don't agree myself. I can't really fault him for that. If I were going to fault him, it'd be for jumping to conclusions too quickly in a limited sample size. Otherwise, it just seems like it's his opinion and just like yours or anyone else's, I'm going to respect that opinion even if I disagree.

As far as the premise of the thread, I saw on page 3 where he said "hypothetical situation, no contracts, etc" so that it why I said that I thought it was an appropriate or "valid" question. I may have misunderstood however.

People can keep whoever they want on their fantasy teams.

There is no football team without contract considerations, though. I want to keep both of them.

8.1 Targets Per Game
5.5 Rec Per Game
55.4 Yard Per Game
10.0 Avg.
4 TD
HEALTHY

7.1 Targets Per Game
4.5 Rec Per Game
51.1 Yard Per Game
11.2 Avg.
1 TD
TORN GROIN MUSCLE
--

If Edelman is looking for anything more than $1-$1.5 million a year, he is as good as gone and TJ Moe will take his spot.

I would think that you've hit it right on the head. The only slight difference of opinion is that I think that it could be as high as 2.5 million or so. I don't see any chance of it being in the 5+ million dollar range like some are projecting.

As far as being down on DA, I think we should wait another year or so to make that determination; or at the very least until the off season this spring at the earliest.

Edelman was very important to the 2011 SB run playing sub cornerback, that might not register as a reception but Edelman has always contributed to helping this team win. Amendola was has never been to the playoffs and his team record entering 2013 was 19-46-1 so what he did was hitting the stat sheet but not much else.

I think that Edelman can see a rise in pay at least 2-3x from his 700k salary should he stay healthy and continue to produce, and I think that Belichick values his tough gritty play and versatility too. He seems to have made progression, and I think that is a big positive in the eyes of Bill Belichick. I'm not sure we're in total agreement as to how much "he's always contributed to helping this team win," but I get your general feel and would agree more than I wouldn't. I do think you're overstating it a bit too however. If he was 1/2 as good as you're making him out to be, he wouldn't have had to return on a 700k deal due to lack of interest from other teams.

As far as comparing Amendola's team records etc, that seems a bit of a stretch in my mind. If we based our talent evaluation on team records, we'd pass up on players like Calvin Johnson (most years), Andre Johnson/Arian Foster this year, Derrell Revis etc. That's not really fair in my opinion.

Either way, I'm hoping that we're able to keep Edelman and continue his development. Prior to you joining the site I had stuck up for him pretty regularly when everyone thought that he was going to get cut, and even had something in my signature for awhile. It isn't like I mean to downplay Edelman. I like him a lot.

I have not given up on Amendola Sup I just think the expectations of him were destine to fail from the beginning. The performance Amendola is currently putting up 4.57 receptions per game and 51.14 receiving yards per game is nearly identical to his career averages of 4.65 receptions per game and 42.53 receiving yards per game. For me he is doing exactly what he does and is illustrating exactly what he is as a player. I am not giving up because it is not as if he came in here and failed to meet the productivity level he has established in his NFL career, because he has actually exceed his receiving yard per game productivity and his receptions are almost a 1to1 match.

What I have given up on is the ridiculous beliefs that because he is white, under 6’0 and went to Texas Tech he can be Wes Welker or as some suggested even better then Welker, truthfully I only bought into that misconception for a few weeks after the Tampa preseason game as you may remember Sudfeld looked like Gronkowski, Thompkins looked like Moss and Blount looked like Dillon in that game as well but either way I was into the hype, now however I have come back to reality. The reality is that we caught lighting in a bottle with Wes Welker back in 2007 and expecting the team to do that twice with back to back players is optimistic to say the least.

If Amendola comes out and dominates over the next 5 weeks and playoffs I will acknowledge that I was wrong and be very happy to see him be successful, I will also recommend that the team draft Devin Gardner in 6th round of the draft this season because it would appear we’re very lucky :Devin Gardner | Michigan, QB : 2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

8.1 Targets Per Game
5.5 Rec Per Game
55.4 Yard Per Game
10.0 Avg.
4 TD
HEALTHY

7.1 Targets Per Game
4.5 Rec Per Game
51.1 Yard Per Game
11.2 Avg.
1 TD
TORN GROIN MUSCLE
--

What if I told you Edelman has been on the last 3 injury reports with a thigh injury? Would you pay him $5 million a season then? :bricks:

I have not given up on Amendola Sup I just think the expectations of him were destine to fail from the beginning. The performance Amendola is currently putting up 4.57 receptions per game and 51.14 receiving yards per game is nearly identical to his career averages of 4.65 receptions per game and 42.53 receiving yards per game. For me he is doing exactly what he does and is illustrating exactly what he is as a player. I am not giving up because it is not as if he came in here and failed to meet the productivity level he has established in his NFL career, because he has actually exceed his receiving yard per game productivity and his receptions are almost a 1to1 match.

What I have given up on is the ridiculous beliefs that because he is white, under 6’0 and went to Texas Tech he can be Wes Welker or as some suggested even better then Welker, truthfully I only bought into that misconception for a few weeks after the Tampa preseason game as you may remember Sudfeld looked like Gronkowski, Thompkins looked like Moss and Blount looked like Dillon in that game as well but either way I was into the hype, now however I have come back to reality. The reality is that we caught lighting in a bottle with Wes Welker back in 2007 and expecting the team to do that twice with back to back players is optimistic to say the least.

If Amendola comes out and dominates over the next 5 weeks and playoffs I will acknowledge that I was wrong and be very happy to see him be successful, I will also recommend that the team draft Devin Gardner in 6th round of the draft this season because it would appear we’re very lucky :Devin Gardner*|*Michigan,*QB*:*2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I back your questioning of his current pay 100%, and I think most of us feel that he isn't earning his pay. The only thing I'd disagree about is that we're attempting to judge much too early (in my opinion). I think we'll need to re-visit this again in about a year, and I'm sure we will many times over.

As far as Gardner, I am very familiar with him and actually just watched him for about the 4th or 5th time this season alone. I would love to take a shot at a player like that. I think the big concern is how well he'd do picking up our system, and I think that's why we may tend to stay away from these backyard football greats that we often see in the NCAA's.

What if I told you Edelman has been on the last 3 injury reports with a thigh injury? Would you pay him $5 million a season then? :bricks:

I'm sure you're smarter than Bill Belichick, so we'll leave it at that.

I think he does a pretty good job myself. In fact, if ochostinko incurred a grade three abductor strain and decided to play through it instead of getting surgery and shutting down for the season (2-3 months + rehab) I'd cut him some slack.

Of course even that scenario has problems because Amendola came in a looked like a veteran receiver on the same page with TFB catching ten balls despite leaving and returning with a severe injury and Ochostinko was still having trouble finding his jock in week 14.

People can keep whoever they want on their fantasy teams.

There is no football team without contract considerations, though. I want to keep both of them.

This is true and here is the problem I have with this situation at the end of the day:

1. Danny Amendola 5 years $28.5 million
  2. Brandon Lloyd 3 years $12 million
  3. Daniel Fells 3 years $5.25 million
  4. Traded for Greg Salas giving up a late round 2015 draft pick

Seem like we are bringing in some McDaniels endorsed players and investing value in them and not receiving much of a reward while at the same players like Welker, Woodhead and others have moved on and been productive for their new teams at a low annual cost.

I think he does a pretty good job myself. In fact, if ochostinko incurred a grade three abductor strain and decided to play through it instead of getting surgery and shutting down for the season (2-3 months + rehab) I'd cut him some slack.

Of course even that scenario has problems because Amendola came in a looked like a veteran receiver on the same page with TFB catching ten balls despite leaving and returning with a severe injury and Ochostinko was still having trouble finding his jock in week 14.

Can you show me 1 link or article that says that the injury Amendola suffered would result in season ending surgery? I have never seen any such suggestion any place the longest I have heard is 6 weeks for a timetable when he originally was injured, it’s been 13 weeks as of tomorrow :confused:

The only thing I'd disagree about is that we're attempting to judge much too early (in my opinion). I think we'll need to re-visit this again in about a year, and I'm sure we will many times over.

I am judging his career and it is nearly identical to his current productivity levels, I guess I question why people expect a player that has done something for nearly 5 seasons to all of sudden become an all pro Wes Welker quality player seems almost delusional. Outside of a player who was fourth or fifth string like Edelman you very rarely see players make a leap between season 4-5 or now it would be seasons 5-6 and that is what people are setting for an expectation for Amendola.

Posters remark about me hating Amendola but I am not the one in here setting him up for failure by saying he is going to replace the greatest slot receiver potentially in history, you want to talk about hate that’s just down right mean to do to Danny.

I wouldn’t recommend wager to much money on that bet Ray, Ray :p

This is true and here is the problem I have with this situation at the end of the day:

1. Danny Amendola 5 years $28.5 million
  2. Brandon Lloyd 3 years $12 million
  3. Daniel Fells 3 years $5.25 million
  4. Traded for Greg Salas giving up a late round 2015 draft pick

Seem like we are bringing in some McDaniels endorsed players and investing value in them and not receiving much of a reward while at the same players like Welker, Woodhead and others have moved on and been productive for their new teams at a low annual cost.

So your problem comes down to Josh McDaniels. What does it even matter on non guaranteed contracts? They mean nothing. What was Lloyd paid in total? I don't know or care. Amendola will only make the 28 mil if he becomes worth it, as in value. He either earns it and we win, or he gets cut after next year and we win.

Can you show me 1 link or article that says that the injury Amendola suffered would result in season ending surgery? I have never seen any such suggestion any place the longest I have heard is 6 weeks for a timetable when he originally was injured, it’s been 13 weeks as of tomorrow :confused:
Return to full activity

This should be a gradual process. Do not go straight back into sprinting immediately but build up gradually from slow jogging. When the athlete can jog for 30 minutes without problems then gradually build up speed. An example speed session might be 10 x 50m at 50% effort, day 2, gentle jog, day 3, 10 x 50 m at 70% effort and so on.

This stage of rehabilitation should also include more functional activities or those specifically related to the athletes sport. For example if your sport involves changing direction at speed then this should be included in the rehabilitation process with a gradual build up. Only when the athlete can comfortably manage specific training and speed work should they be returned to competition. A return to full activity may take 8 to 12 weeks or longer.

Rehabilitation of Groin Strain - step by step groin strain rehab

I am not obsessed I am just looking to see what others think, I am not 100% certain that my position on Amendola is the right one.

If your position on Amendola is that the team is better off parting ways with him, and you suggest it comes down to a choice of keeping Edelman or Amendola, then your premise is wrong.

Amendola is signed for another 4 years, and while not impossible to cut him, the question of "who is replacing him and how much will they cost" is one that would need to be answered before one could truly have an opinion.

Edelman is NOT signed through next year and if he hits the market I'd expect division rivals to make him offers just to keep him off the Patriots or at least inflate his price.

If I could only keep one it would be the one who has been healthy, productive and contributes on special teams. But I expect both will be with the team next year.

One of the reasons to guarantee most of a second year is so that Belichick and the team doesn't need with the nonsense in this thread. Amendola was signed to a 2 year contract with a 3 year team-only option for continuation after that. The team could have given more in bonus money, but the team and Danny agree to this 2-year deal.

The team will make decisions on the future of Amendola after these 2 years, perhaps not even until camp of his third year.

There is no decision to make now or next year.

One of the reasons to guarantee most of a second year is so that Belichick and the team doesn't need with the nonsense in this thread. Amendola was signed to a 2 year contract with a 3 year team-only option for continuation after that. The team could have given more in bonus money, but the team and Danny agree to this 2-year deal.

The team will make decisions on the future of Amendola after these 2 years, perhaps not even until camp of his third year.

There is no decision to make now or next year.

I get this. In fairness, however, there's a decision to be made at ALL TIMES where a roster spot is concerned. That doesn't mean a move is likely or always makes sense, but I think any player is open for discussion at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes