PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you could only bring one back in 2014 who would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hester was a much better KR than PR. Edeldude blows him out of the water as a PR.

That's not true either. You can look this up and take out your calculator. Carrer averages, with Edelman less attempts, Edelman's slightly higher. Probably behind at this point in his career, but I really don't care.

You're right, Hester was quite a good PR too, I misremembered, thank you for calling me out.

I still think Edelman was a better PR, Hester has many more returns than Edelman and the only thing that Hester has better are TDs. Hester has had a few years when he's had some really poor averages even when he was in his prime. Edelman has never had a season below 10 yards per return. #11 has consistently been able to greatly improve field position for us.

You're right, Hester was quite a good PR too, I misremembered, thank you for calling me out.

I still think Edelman was a better PR, Hester has many more returns than Edelman and the only thing that Hester has better are TDs. Hester has had a few years when he's had some really poor averages even when he was in his prime. Edelman has never had a season below 10 yards per return. #11 has consistently been able to greatly improve field position for us.

They're both great returners, who cares? Hester's average dropped a ton when he had good receiving years and that probably would happen to Edelman too. Whatever helps the team most i say.

They're both great returners, who cares? Hester's average dropped a ton when he had good receiving years and that probably would happen to Edelman too. Whatever helps the team most i say.

Me putting Edeldude over Hester isn't putting Hester down at all, if I were the other 30 teams I would almost certainly take either with few exceptions, they are both great. This year Edelman has receiving numbers that have skyrocketed and is still putting up 11.7 return yards per though.

That's not true either. You can look this up and take out your calculator. Carrer averages, with Edelman less attempts, Edelman's slightly higher. Probably behind at this point in his career, but I really don't care.

You have posted more times than anyone in this thread but yet you haven’t voted yet? I’ve been waiting for you and the others who were vocal in the Amendola thread to vote. I want to get a real good objective overview of the situation and in order to do that I need everyone to participate in the poll so do me a favor and just pick one. Thanks man :rocker:

You have posted more times than anyone in this thread but yet you haven’t voted yet? I’ve been waiting for you and the others who were vocal in the Amendola thread to vote. I want to get a real good objective overview of the situation and in order to do that I need everyone to participate in the poll so do me a favor and just pick one. Thanks man :rocker:

Do i get to count the fact that Amendola's under contract and will cost us 4 million on the cap to cut?

Allot can be said for the punt return aspect of Edelmans game. For me it's not close, but in fairness to DA he came in under the worst circumstances. So time will tell, maybe they will become the perfect compliment to one another?

Interesting...

I was sort of speaking off the cuff when I labeled Edelman the best punt returner ever. I do think yards/return is the most important PR stat, particularly when you consider the beneficiary of the yardage is Tom Brady. (That to me equates to points.) I do think he's the best PR currently, but I wasn't saying that in a way as to open a discussion about Hester and the other fine folks who are also excellent. I was merely pointing out that's HUGE added value AmendolIR simply doesn't provide. It's interesting the conversation trended that way and it was kind of cool seeing how people view these stats, so I'm glad it happened.

Roping my post back to point, though....

Edelman has historically assisted as scout team QB when we play mobile guys
Amendola has no such role

Edelman is a backup DB when injuries bite us

Edelman returns punts and is one of the best in NFL history at doing so (regardless of where you place him on that list)

Edelman is sometimes injured
Amendola will see those injuries and raise him by a season or two in an IR poker game

Edelman is becoming an above average WR
Amendola might be as good as Edelman, maybe, with more experience

I still don't see how Amendola is even a consideration with all of the above. Edelman's value transcends his native position and that's added value we get with his roster spot that Amendola will simply never provide. It would take a better receiver than Amendola to be worth more to the team than Edelman. It does not mean Amendola is junk, he just doesn't have as much value with the roster spot he takes up as Edelman does.

Re: Re: Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman

Do i get to count the fact that Amendola's under contract and will cost us 4 million on the cap to cut?

Just looking at them as player's like I said it's a hypothetical so I'm leaving salary and contracts out of it.

Re: Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman

Just looking at them as player's like I said it's a hypothetical so I'm leaving salary and contracts out of it.

Like who'd win the slam dunk contest if there wasn't any gravity?

I don't see the point, football teams make decisions based on contractual reality. and they also realize some players are playing through injuries.

Re: Re: Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman

Like who'd win the slam dunk contest if there wasn't any gravity?

I don't see the point, football teams make decisions based on contractual reality. and they also realize some players are playing through injuries.

No like if taking a one year cap hit to clear the long term space to retain Edelman for multiple years or would you keep Amendola and risk not being able to retain Edelman? We could obviously keep them both but the question is if you could keep just one who would it be. It's a relatively simple question I think you're over thinking it.

I never understood why so many here placed such a low emphasis on keeping Edelman around after last season. BB made the same mistake.

That said, I can't answer this yet. Amendola is probably still learning the offense and not at full health. We should not expect that latter concern to change; nor should we have planned on it being any different.

Re: Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman

No like if taking a one year cap hit to clear the long term space to retain Edelman for multiple years or would you keep Amendola and risk not being able to retain Edelman? We could obviously keep them both but the question is if you could keep just one who would it be. It's a relatively simple question I think you're over thinking it.

Edelman's a free agent. They could cut suffer the cap hits and lose the guaranteed money and Edelman could still sign somewhere else.

This is a fantasy football question, I don't think it's a realistic scenario. Amendola is going to be here for a while.

Ignoring the contractual realities I will take Calvin Johnson.

Hey , since this is just make believe I am going to pretend Amendola is 6'8 and runs a 4.3, so I will take him and then take Calvin Johnson.

Or we can forget about age reality and bring back Jerry Rice.

Fantasy football talk is so much fun.

Edelman's a free agent. They could cut suffer the cap hits and lose the guaranteed money and Edelman could still sign somewhere else.

This is a fantasy football question, I don't think it's a realistic scenario. Amendola is going to be here for a while.

Amendola's contract is cut-unfriendly next year, but not after that.

In any case, it isn't a binary either/or situation, especially if the Pats get another TE to complement GRONK.

Amendola's contract is cut-unfriendly next year, but not after that.

In any case, it isn't a binary either/or situation, especially if the Pats get another TE to complement GRONK.

Right, but next year is a while, especially on a forum with a collective one week memory. He stinks, cut him! Did well next week, back up the Brink's truck.

I've said all along that the patriots and any player can come to a number, if both want to. Vollmer got signed, Gronk early, etc. etc. etc.

Edelman will make a boo boo and everybody will want to cut him too. It didn't used to be like that on this board, but it has been for the last few years.

Anyone who thinks Edelman is a better PR than Hester has never watched Pro football

Just another example of how ff is turning fans into complete idiots.

Anyone who thinks Edelman is a better PR than Hester has never watched Pro football

Just another example of how ff is turning fans into complete idiots.

One would think Hester's TD #s would gain the support of fantasy fans :cool:

Watching Edelman get 10-15 yards out of nothing on a punt return he is electric with the ball in his hands.

I think Edelman is a very good PR but saying he is better than Hester is like saying that Fred Jackson is a better RB than Barry Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes