PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the Patriots can create even more cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting Cannon and Scott Chandler. Truly tough choices...

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? The whole point of Miguel's article is that the Patriots have a TON of options to maneuver cap space to be able to do anything they want.

I have a buddy who knows the cap almost as well as Miguel does, and this is one of the reasons why I was against the Forte signing (the long argument with many of you in the Arian Foster thread) and Miguel just confirmed what I was saying as well.

Many of you don't understand the cap. You think we have 13 million right now to go blow. That's not how any of this works, and Miguel spelled it out beautifully for you all. Pats have some tough choices to make because they are indeed up against the cap.

You are a Moron.

Many of you don't understand the cap. You think we have 13 million right now to go blow. That's not how any of this works, and Miguel spelled it out beautifully for you all. Pats have some tough choices to make because they are indeed up against the cap.

I wouldn't think that being under by 13.5m dollars with the potential to clear up at least another 10m with a few obvious moves should be considered "up against the cap," particularly in a year where we have no real free agents that need to be addressed. There have been years where things have been a lot tighter than that, and it's always business as usual.

Fortunately, the team doesn't stray too far from its winning formula, and that normally means avoiding the temptation to get into bidding wars on the open market (much different than Belichick's market) during free agency. They would much rather retain their own homegrown players that have proven to work in their system, while strategically making middle/lower tier free agency moves to add a handful of players to the roster. There aren't many examples of Belichick going out and making big splashes in free agency, and there's no coincidence that other historically successful franchises like Pittsburgh and Green Bay take the same approach. This is the reason why you're more likely to be correct about not signing Matt Forte, although one of the main reasons why some are advocating the move is due to what they perceive as a "reasonable" opportunity to bring in a proven winner. We're talking about (approx) 4m dollars a year player, not the usual Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald fantasy ********.

If Belichick chooses to pass on a guy like Matt Forte, it will be due to some of the reasoning that we've discussed such as age, lack of perceived value, running back by committee approach, choice to take a younger, cheaper player in the draft, etc. That said, if Belichick simply can't afford to pay 4m dollars for a running back, that's a whole different story, particularly since it would be very untrue. They obviously have plenty of avenues to bring in a couple of players in that price range, with another few in a price range slightly lower, AND extend one of Butler/Collins, should they want to.

There are over a hundred ways that the Pats could create cap space. Chose not to list them all since some of them are never going to happen. Example, Pats could create $2.475m in cap space by cutting Tom Brady before June 2nd.

I would not use me as a proof that Matt Forte is unobtainable because I have been advocating signing him for several weeks now

I have a buddy who knows the cap almost as well as Miguel does, and this is one of the reasons why I was against the Forte signing (the long argument with many of you in the Arian Foster thread) and Miguel just confirmed what I was saying as well.

Thank you Mr. "I just joined 2 months ago so let me tell you how it is because I have it all figured out".

I've been following Miguel and his cap studies since I joined this site in 2001. Ian Logue is the person who runs the site and started it up in March 2000, essentially the Creator and our benevolent Godfather. I tell you this because you probably had no idea. No one in the country had a website totally devoted to a team before Miguel, let alone any of these 32 team cap sites that sprung up after he started his.

As a rookie here you need to realize god gave you 2 eyes to read and one brain to absorb it. If you don't use your eyes first to absorb information for your brain to process, you're essentially using your two hands to type out what's in your empty brain.

What you and your fellow rookie "buddy who knows the cap almost as well as Miguel does" need to do is spend the rest of your rookie season in front of your computer screen reading all 2, 850, 000 messages that have been posted here since 2004 and keep your "I think I know it all but I really don't know ****" posts to the Practice Squad forum where you can spew your bib-catching mindless drool and no one really sees it while donning a couple of haircuts like these:
pats rookies.jpg

PS-Blanket insulting the entire board with sentences that start like "Many of you don't understand" is a troll move, something you will begin to understand after "film study" of the 2.85 million posts you need to read before your mini-camp starts. Now go run some windsprints after you're done carrying my pads and helmet back to the locker room rook.

Last edited:
Woof woof!

Lots of anger

I've known about Miguels site for years, which is why I mentioned in the Foster thread that the pats don't have 13 mil to blow on free agents

You all went into fits of rage. Fact is, they can definitely create enough cap space, but they'll have to make several moves to do so. Right now, they are absolutely up against it.

If you guys read more of Miguels stuff (you couldn't even read where he said he wasn't advocating but just posting examples of moves) you'd know more!

Last edited:
REMINDER. Please note that I am NOT advocating nor I am suggesting that the Patriots do all of these salary-cap maneuvers.
The mere fact that you have to post this disclaimer on here made me chuckle. Thank you for all you do Miguel.

Thank you Mr. "I just joined 2 months ago so let me tell you how it is because I have it all figured out".

I've been following Miguel and his cap studies since I joined this site in 2001. Ian Logue is the person who runs the site and started it up in March 2000, essentially the Creator and our benevolent Godfather. I tell you this because you probably had no idea. No one in the country had a website totally devoted to a team before Miguel, let alone any of these 32 team cap sites that sprung up after he started his.

As a rookie here you need to realize god gave you 2 eyes to read and one brain to absorb it. If you don't use your eyes first to absorb information for your brain to process, you're essentially using your two hands to type out what's in your empty brain.

What you and your fellow rookie "buddy who knows the cap almost as well as Miguel does" need to do is spend the rest of your rookie season in front of your computer screen reading all 2, 850, 000 messages that have been posted here since 2004 and keep your "I think I know it all but I really don't know ****" posts to the Practice Squad forum where you can spew your bib-catching mindless drool and no one really sees it while donning a couple of haircuts like these:
View attachment 12316

PS-Blanket insulting the entire board with sentences that start like "Many of you don't understand" is a troll move, something you will begin to understand after "film study" of the 2.85 million posts you need to read before your mini-camp starts. Now go run some windsprints after you're done carrying my pads and helmet back to the locker room rook.

I don't care. I can't stand it. Speaking of cap threads. Maybe he could start there. :D

I don't care.I can't stand it! | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard (<<Link)

I wasn't a member back then but I had heard about it multiple times so decided to go back and read it. Good stuff right theah ...yes sah.

View attachment 12316

This is so cringe worthy, lol

You're comparing yourself to an athlete because you've been posting longer? Lol dude that's embarrassing.

It's not like I just stumbled on this board in December. Now stop wasting time arguing w me and go read About the cap!

It's not like I just stumbled on this board in December. Now stop wasting time arguing w me and go read About the cap!

Miguel has earned credibility, here and elsewhere, with years of analytical discussion applying cap rules to contracts with a high degree of accuracy in terms of how events have played out historically.

I am going to assume you actually believe your opinion (ie., are inviting a real discussion) and are not simply trying to bait angry responses. Understand the paradigm for ridiculous posts is people who claim to 'know' what they are writing about without offering anything resembling what Miguel does analytically in virtually every post, especially when called out on the basis for that opinion. They simply post unsubstantiated idiocy, even in matters like salary cap claims that lend themselves to actual facts in analysis.

If you want to write your opinion claiming Einsteinian understanding of a concept (e.g., "most do not understand" or the like), then defend it with actual analysis, citing actual authority (article links or rules and contract information) or you prove you have no clue in posting here and are just trolling.

This is a friendly public service message. I won't reply to anything else unless I see actual facts to go with your opinion. You can obviously type, so try typing the basis for your opinion next time.

Just updated blog post
How the Patriots can create even more cap space

with the following

Clarified disclaimers.
Added some reasons why the Patriots will need to create more cap space.
Explained why cutting Solder would cause the Pats to lose cap space

This is so cringe worthy, lol

You're comparing yourself to an athlete because you've been posting longer? Lol dude that's embarrassing.

Cringe worthy was the "I have a buddy who knows the cap almost as well as Miguel does" comment, which is why I put you on blast.

Now go look up the name AdamJT13 and let me know what you find rook. ;)

Miguel has earned credibility, here and elsewhere, with years of analytical discussion applying cap rules to contracts with a high degree of accuracy in terms of how events have played out historically.

I am going to assume you actually believe your opinion (ie., are inviting a real discussion) and are not simply trying to bait angry responses. Understand the paradigm for ridiculous posts is people who claim to 'know' what they are writing about without offering anything resembling what Miguel does analytically in virtually every post, especially when called out on the basis for that opinion. They simply post unsubstantiated idiocy, even in matters like salary cap claims that lend themselves to actual facts in analysis.

If you want to write your opinion claiming Einsteinian understanding of a concept (e.g., "most do not understand" or the like), then defend it with actual analysis, citing actual authority (article links or rules and contract information) or you prove you have no clue in posting here and are just trolling.

This is a friendly public service message. I won't reply to anything else unless I see actual facts to go with your opinion. You can obviously type, so try typing the basis for your opinion next time.

FYI, Wasn't sure whether to "Winner" rate this or not but since I was laughing my ass off I went with the "funny" rating.

Side note: Your writing skills are off the chart. Wish I had them.

I suppose this is a tad more courteous than my post. ;) Not trying to drive new blood away by any means, just got a little defensive at a perceived slight on a very well-respected board member.

I suppose this is a tad more courteous than my post. ;) Not trying to drive new blood away by any means, just got a little defensive at a perceived slight on a very well-respected board member.

Too funny. I was not expecting all this action in a PatsCap thread. :D

I am going to assume you actually believe your opinion (ie., are inviting a real discussion) and are not simply trying to bait angry responses.

He already made it clear in the Foster thread that he was looking to piss people off and gets off on it.

The funniest thing about this all is, I was basically telling you all we don't have near the cap space you thought, and I completely agreed with everything Miguel said, told you I've been following him and respecting his work for years, and then the response is that I should learn more about him and what he does, lol.

This coming from a bunch of guys who didn't even read all the way through what Miguel said, because he stated very clearly he wasn't advocating all of the moves he used as examples, just pointing what they could do.

Ironically YOU all need to read all of his stuff and pay attention to everything he writes. You'll learn so much about the cap, as I have!

Funny story, I was once made fun of on a sports forum for citing Miguel as my source for all things Patriots salary cap related! Whether or not Miguel wants me to be on his side (I'm sure he doesn't, because I'm the hated "rookie" LOLLLL) but the reality of it is I respect what he does very very much.

The funniest thing about this all is, I was basically telling you all we don't have near the cap space you thought, and I completely agreed with everything Miguel said, told you I've been following him and respecting his work for years, and then the response is that I should learn more about him and what he does, lol.

This coming from a bunch of guys who didn't even read all the way through what Miguel said, because he stated very clearly he wasn't advocating all of the moves he used as examples, just pointing what they could do.

Ironically YOU all need to read all of his stuff and pay attention to everything he writes. You'll learn so much about the cap, as I have!

Funny story, I was once made fun of on a sports forum for citing Miguel as my source for all things Patriots salary cap related! Whether or not Miguel wants me to be on his side (I'm sure he doesn't, because I'm the hated "rookie" LOLLLL) but the reality of it is I respect what he does very very much.

You've been wrong about everything you've posted. The cap space is the cap space. Quit trolling the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes