PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much of a loss was letting Asante Samuel go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys should listen to Philly WIP 610-callers there have been complaining how Samuels has been playing 10 yards off the receivers. Heh-even the brilliant Jim Johnson knows the guy's limitations.

Really-while you need good corners, it all starts up front. Without a pass rush, even all the Deion's and Sean Taylor's back there won't mean a thing.

I hope I'm not rubbing it in the wrong way or anything, but it's the same way down here in Dallas-we actually have a very good, albeit deep secondary, but outside of Ware, Ellis, and to some extent, Spencer, our pass rush is pretty mediocre...which is why our shutdown guys like Newman and Hamlin look worse than they really are.

OTOH-look at San Diego's D when Wade Phillips was there-they had 5-6 true pass rushers, which was why their mediocre secondary looked alot better than it really was.

While the loss of Brady was the biggest loss in the BB era if not in NE sports history, I think Asante Samuel departing for more money could have been a big mistake on the team letting him go especially since there was enough cap space for it to happen - I do not know if it would have caused problems with the cap in future years but looking at this for this particular year I wish we could have figured a way to do it without much damage to the cap.

We have seen that you can no longer replace good players with JAGs and off the street players like the team used to,those days are over IMO

You can't replace Brady with a high school quarterback and obviously you can't replace Samuel with a Bengals reject - We survived the Duane Starks project but I don't think its as easy this time.

The minute Rivers immediately passed in the direction of O'Neal for the huge gain on the first play I realized and remembered that San Diego did not usually go to Samuel's side of the field when they played them the last 2 years and picked on Hobbs instead but Hobbs played well anyway,but they knew O'Neal was not very good so with the loss of Samuel the Chargers unloaded all game towards O'Neal's way - They must have knew O'Neal would be overmatched.

I think after Brady the second biggest loss this team has endured for the past 6 years has been the loss of Samuel

Samuel had been injured earlier for the Eagles but that does not mean it would have been the same if he had still been here

Would Asante's presence have been a difference in the Miami and San Diego games?,maybe not but you would have to think the opposing offense would have planned differently down field.

Back in 04 people were saying Asante was the sorriest corner in the NFL, and then they said he was the worst starting corner in the NFL after Ty left. No Asante, no problem is what i say!

Plus, how many cut Hobbs threads did I see in January, then Hobbs Appreciattion threads in September. Speculators suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft