PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How high should Leonard go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect corners and wide receivers are the values for us on Day One. However, I've been looking at Leonard for months (I have a buddy who's an alum at Rutgers). We could do a lot worse at 28 than a 5 year contract with Leonard. As always, I suspect that the fans will look at linebackers and the team will pass. I expect a corner at 24.

Even if Samuel is back, how long should we count on Chad Scott and Gay as our nickel and backup? I expect that we will sign Mickens, but we will still need a corner.

After all, two of the linebackers we wanted in the past are likely to be available in free agency: Napolean Harris and Dan Morgan.

We will have signed at least two, probably three linebackers before the draft.

Name: Brian Leonard
College: Rutgers Number: 23
Height: 6-1 Weight: 224
Position: FB Pos2: RB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.56 40 Low: 4.52 40 High: 4.62
Projected Round: 2-3
Rated number 1 out of 51 FB's 63/2338 TOTAL

Analysis

Positives: Solidly built with above-average strength, thick thighs and calves, good bubble, tight waist, broad shoulders and good arm-muscle definition...Has excellent speed for his position, showing the upper-body strength and leg drive to create and maintain a rush lane as a lead blocker...Has a good short area burst through the creases and the change-of-direction agility to make the initial tackler miss...Shows the plant-and-drive agility to make precise cuts...Has very good balance and body control throughout his stride, demonstrating fluid flexibility and quickness getting to top acceleration...Has good vision to locate and neutralize the blitz and an excellent feel for the soft spots in the zone, consistently getting there, to make the underneath catch...Comes out of his stance quickly and with good urgency, running at the proper pad level with legs churning to push the pile...Has the quickness to explode through the holes and the cutback agility to make the initial tackler miss...Generates the speed to pull away from linebackers and safeties after the catch and is quick enough in his stride to be a valid deep threat...Has the loose hips to elude and makes sharp cuts to separate in his patterns...Displays good field vision, showing patience setting up his blocks when carrying the ball...Alert to stunts and blitzes, showing good slide to neutralize edge rushers...Has the strong base and balance to bounce off of tacklers and maintain his stride...Bruising runner between the tackles with the loose hips to change direction quickly...Picks up his feet nicely to get through traffic and is nimble enough to redirect and cut back outside when the inside hole is clogged...With his sharp cutting agility and burst, Leonard has had good success separating after the catch...Holds the ball secure to his chest when running inside and in the outside hand when turning the corner...Shows very good hands on toss plays and, even when he gets erect in his stance, he is conscious of protecting the ball...Has the speed to separate after the catch and the power to obliterate the smaller defender that tries to get in his path...Is especially effective on swing and middle screens, flat and wheel routes...Has good hip snap maintaining blocking position to protect the pocket and shows urgency facing up...Good cut blocker who shows alertness picking up the blitz.

Negatives: When he gets too erect in his stance, he will lose some base and get pushed back through the rush lane...While Leonard has had success bouncing outside to gain yardage in the past, he was used mostly on runs between the tackles as a senior...Seems to have the speed to get outside, make the cut and turn it up the field, but he tends to lose his body lean and get too high in his stance, leaving his feet exposed for shoestring tackles...Runs with good forward lean between tackles, but must learn to keep the same pad level on cuts to the perimeter...Effective lead blocker, but despite his strength as a runner, he fails to generate much pop on contact with his hands...Flashes good speed cutting on the edge, but must generate a stronger kick-out and hand technique in attempts to sustain.

Compares To: JUSTIN GRIFFITH, Atlanta Falcons (Mississippi State)...Leonard is not the physically imposing blocker Tampa Bay's Mike Alstott is but, like Griffith, he generates excellent quickness out of his stance, precise cutback agility and natural hands to be a legitimate receiving threat. He made strides as a lead blocker, but might be best utilized as a halfback in a one-back offense.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9412

Leonard should go in rd 1. Just watching the senior bowl he plowed through tackle attempts by Buster Davis and Patrick Willis, embarrassed a Georgia LB in the open field, effectively blocked, and looked like an elite talent. He has the infamous Curse of Craig James working against him, however.

I suspect corners and wide receivers are the values for us on Day One. However, I've been looking at Leonard for months (I have a buddy who's an alum at Rutgers). We could do a lot worse at 28 than a 5 year contract with Leonard. As always, I suspect that the fans will look at linebackers and the team will pass. I expect a corner at 24.

I'd be fine with Leonard at 28 -- I can't imagine he'll last past, say, the Jets at #37. And if Revis falls to 24 as per your scenario in another post, sign me up. But if not, I see a lot better value at safety than corner in this draft.

I don't want any part of Leonard in the first round. I can appreciate what he'd bring to the team but little contributions here and there aren't what I want out of a #1 pick. If Maroney were a 10 carry a game guy and we needed a 15 carry dude, then fine. But I expect Kool Aid to get around 20 carries a game and we'll just want a big guy to rotate in some. First round ? No thanks.

I can live with Leonard in round one, I'm sure he will be in on more than 10 snaps/game with his receiving, running, blocking and their translation to Special Teams. It's not as if Maroney was an everydown back this season.

28 is too high for Leonard. He's a mid-to-late second rounder. If you're thinking of taking him at 28, then you're better off trading down to acquire additional picks. The Pats could definitely use someone like Leonard...

It's hard to imagine back to back #1 picks on a RB. However I never say never with BB at the helm, especially if we were talking tight ends.

There's too many other pressing needs on this team to draft a RB or TE in the first round but stranger things have happened.

I think vs our needs Landry, Nelson and Revis are the best players who could drop to the middle teens and I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for them. If not then going DE/OLB probably had the next set of value with Spencer and Moss or perhaps Willis at ILB. I just really don't see BB going ILB in the first round unless Willis (or anybody else) is one of those rare guys who matches ability with smarts. I read a story about BB interviewing Milloy and Ray Lewis when he was a coach under BP and they came out. They impressed him because they not only knew their responsibilities and why but they also knew everybody else's responsibilities and why.

If Landry, Nelson, Griffin, Willis or any other middle of the field defenders show that type of intelligence coupled with their athletic ability I believe BB would snatch them up and in some cases trade up to do so because it's so rare for a player to have that type of grasp that young and when they do they will turn out to be special 99% of the time.

What if Michael Bush from Lousiville is still around at 28? He got hurt last year, but he is an absolute load 6'3" 240 4.5 speed. He gets lost in the RB shuffle because of getting injuried.

I have seen Leonard play several times and I like the guy very much. But, I don't see him as being a first rounder. Maybe a late first day pick.

He wasn't even the starter or featured back on his own college team. How does that translate into a first round pick?

If you put Leonard in an airplane, he should go as high as about 30,000 ft! lol. k, i'm bored...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes