PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bad was the HOLD on missed FG by Gostkowski vs Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know the snap was off on gost`s missed FG....but how bad was the HOLD or placement by Mesko ...and can that be THE reason why he blew the game winning attempt. A lot of people talking about how ball was tilted....or leaning forward.....I could not see that from the quick replays...thanks!

I know the snap was off on gost`s missed FG....but how bad was the HOLD or placement by Mesko ...and can that be THE reason why he blew the game winning attempt. A lot of people talking about how ball was tilted....or leaning forward.....I could not see that from the quick replays...thanks!

Well it depends on which way it's tilted...it should actually be tilted slightly right (by about an inch) for right footers and the opposite for lefties. So the ball shouldn't be completely straight. Some kickers may request a slight angle back...depending on the kick and, of ourse, laces should be facing forward.

I don't know the logic behind tilting left and right...so if someone old add to it that would b great.

EDIT: found it; by tilting the ball about five degrees inward, It creates a more perpendicular alignment Between the ball and the foot and reduces your chance of hooking the kick.

Last edited:
Well it depends on which way it's tilted...it should actually be tilted slightly right (by about an inch) for right footers and the opposite for lefties. So the ball shouldn't be completely straight. Some kickers may request a slight angle back...depending on the kick and, of ourse, laces should be facing forward.

I don't know the logic behind tilting left and right...so if someone old add to it that would b great.

EDIT: found it; by tilting the ball about five degrees inward, It creates a more perpendicular alignment Between the ball and the foot and reduces your chance of hooking the kick.

Thanks alot man for your reply and insight.....didn't know alot about the kicking game regarding how the ball is held to be honest. I am gathering that from the lack of response to this question, that NO ONE else here saw much more than I did on this kick!! I know Gost or BB will never point to that as an excuse anyways...was just wondering if it was set up at an almost impossible angle and set up that freaky looking shank!!!! Thanks

The laces were in and Ray Finkle shanked it. It was Marino's fault, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes