PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley believes Brady's deal is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to listen to them during training camp, the word painful comes to mind.. lots of yak, very little substance.. lots of noise, not much info ... bombasity is another term that comes to mind.

OTOH Holley gets a lot of back channel info, so he might be right... or at least we want him to be right.

Don't forget...Holley wrote that book about the Patriots and had incredible access to the team and Belichick during that period. He still has better sources than many others in the media.

I doubt he'd say anything like this without being supremely confident that he was right.

The same people calling these windbags a bunch of windbags also wait for every word, every article ... any bit of info they might have. What they say, how they say it, who they say it with.

Do these airbags help in your enjoyment of the team?

Just asking .. because i don't listen to them or watch them and I think it's better that way. I get what I need from some of our fine members right here ... and it's better even though they don't have a press pass. Some of the fine members here don't need ratings so they get right to the news that's needed without the fluff.

Gresh and Zo ... some people wait to hear news from Gresh and Zo ... that is pitiful.

Really?? We're all hanging on every word??? Actually I was flipping around the channels and came upon Sports Tonight. I referenced Holley because he has credibility. I don't consider Mike Holley a mediot. He has cred in my book which is why I shared his opinion here. Had the Queen of the Mediots Michele Felger said the same thing I'd have ingnored it because it would be fru-fru guesswork. She has no cred and even fewer legit sources. In fact if Michele was on the show I never would have stopped to watch. :D

Really?? We're all hanging on every word??? Actually I was flipping around the channels and came upon Sports Tonight. I referenced Holley because he has credibility. I don't consider Mike Holley a mediot. He has cred in my book which is why I shared his opinion here. Had the Queen of the Mediots Michele Felger said the same thing I'd have ingnored it because it would be fru-fru guesswork. She has no cred and even fewer legit sources. In fact if Michele was on the show I never would have stopped to watch. :D

I am with you 100% - holley has credibility in my book - while he said it was a feeling, I think there was some basis that led him to that feeling.

Felger used to be credible, but now is simply a ratings whore whose body was invaded by Borges.

I've literally hear the bold from at least 10 reporters, this isnt anything new. Holley doesnt break any interesting news.

Ty Warren and his trip to the IR, say hello to you, Keyser.

Credibility goes out the window when they're hosting on Comcast...I call it the Felger factor. It sounds like Holley was just choosing a side of the fence based on the media chatter of the last week. It's a 50/50 proposition at the moment in the will he/won't he have a deal before the season sweepstakes. Thing is it's all predicated on Troy Brown stating he didn't think they would ask Brady to take the field without a deal...only that option expired last Thursday.

Holley doesn't have the insight or access he had back in 2002-2003 when he was imbedded with the team. He's lost a lot of his sources to retirement and change of employer since then. He was real tight with Mangidiot. He co wrote Tedy's book. He became a familiar face guys knew could be trusted to be discreet. But most of those guys are gone now. He still has better access than most via his weekly guests - one of whom just departed this week, though. And he and Michael Smith are best buds so he has that ESPN insider access to draw on (although again that is player based access since Smith left here on less than pleasant terms with BB).

That said, I think they have had the basic broad parameters of an extension in place for a while. The problem lies in how to structure it due to the rules of an expiring CBA. Nothing has changed in the last week that would make that circumstance change.

If he didn't referance cooking I don't buy it!

"The Patriots are going to draft Jerrod Mayo"--Michael Holley on D&H the day before the 2008 NFL draft.

Draft predictions aren't reporting. There's a difference.

Predicting the draft is like predicting the stock market. It's a fools errand. There was no way Holley could know that Mayo was even going to be available at the Pats turn in that draft. I find it hilarious the serious discussions here betweeen February and late April each year. Personally, I pay no attention to the draft until the TV show at Radio City actually begins. Then I see who ACTUALLY gets drafted. While I respect that many consider it a fun game of guessing and that it is entertaining to discuss and argue, to me I just can't invest the time in something that doesn't exist yet. I'm not criticizing those who spend hundreds of hours analyzing and arguing draft predictions - - if it works in people's lives, then all the more power to 'em!

Holley, in the meantime, has the best access to the Patriots inside circle that anyone has and when he reports on something happening in the FO, I listen.

"The Patriots are going to draft Jerrod Mayo"--Michael Holley on D&H the day before the 2008 NFL draft.

But lest we forget: "The Patriots are going to trade down to #10 and draft Jerod Mayo" -- Don Banks, the day before Holley. Just a little pet peeve of mine that Holley routinely gets credit for Banks' scoop.

That said, Holley is generally one of the most reliable and least sensationalistic reporters. He may not be first, but when he does make a report, it's usually right.

Draft predictions aren't reporting. There's a difference.

Predicting the draft is like predicting the stock market. It's a fools errand. There was no way Holley could know that Mayo was even going to be available at the Pats turn in that draft.

Shmessy, this one was different. Banks and then Holley specifically reported a planned trade w/New Orleans with the target of Mayo at #10. (And it would have been stunning if he hadn't been available then -- remember he was considered something of a "reach" at the time.)

Holly writes a good book that is easy to read, "Never Give up" & "Patriot Reign".. Beyond that, I would not hold anything he says in high regard..

Thankfully, I switch to Sirius two years ago and don't have to listen to him or the other bone heads on WEEI.. They throw out so much crap that when something finally hits, they pat themselves on their back..

Like Felger.. "TY WARREN IS OUT FOR THE SEASON.." He'll probably promote it on an tv add for Comcast Sports saying he was dead on.. Of course we could all go thru the stuff he's been wrong on.. Like "Ted Washington is resigning with the Pats".. to funny.. these meat heads.. If they had jobs in corporate life and spouted all this nonsense, they would be no better than a copy boy..

Last edited:
Our friend Prentice McCray has tweeted that Brady has said "no news" on any contract extension.

The only local mediot who thought it was worth a tweet

tomecurran Brady says there is "no news" on a new contract. Says he's concerned with things he can control.
about 1 hour ago via web

Gotta love the NBC Sports site. Their headline today is: "Brady getting frustrated with Patriots." The link (no, I won't provide it) goes to a PFT story on what everyone else reported today, how vocal and tough on his teammates he is at practices. Nothing to do with contract talks, which is what people probably think the headline is about.

Shameless. I like having NBC's NFL coverage page bookmarked, but with all these PFT links I'm getting closer and closer to removing it.

I just saw a clip with DeOssie & Gresch. DeOssie claims Brady's deal is done; both sides agree on the numbers. DeOssie said that the only sticking point is what happens if there is a lockout next year.

This year Holly said the pats were going to draft Dez Bryant, book it. HMM How'd that work out?

This is funny because how many times did BB draft out of his position where Bryant was available? 2 or 3 times, I believe.
I think BB may be handing Holley some bad info as retribution for Patriots Reign. I can't believe BB was all right with everything Holly put in that book but that's another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back