PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Hit him when he has the ball, hit him when he doesn't have the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franchise12

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
That was Tedy Bruschi's explanation for the gameplan against Marshall Faulk in superbowl 36. As the broncos game approaches I'm beginning to wonder If we need to bring that mentality into this game, specifically in regards to wes welker.

One thing that struck me in the chiefs/broncos game last week was how many times Cornerback Brandon flowers hit and knock down welker when he didn't have the ball. Nbc even put together a video package of how many times it occurred in the first half alone. With welker most likely coming to town with neck injury and a concussion I think it would be a great idea to knock him around LEGALLY when he doesn't have the ball. With the broncos facing another tilt with the physical chiefs, they might limit his snaps or pull him completely in favor of having him ready for their divisional matchup next week. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

That was Tedy Bruschi's explanation for the gameplan against Marshall Faulk in superbowl 36. As the broncos game approaches I'm beginning to wonder If we need to bring that mentality into this game, specifically in regards to wes welker.

One thing that struck me in the chiefs/broncos game last week was how many times Cornerback Brandon flowers hit and knock down welker when he didn't have the ball. Nbc even put together a video package of how many times it occurred in the first half alone. With welker most likely coming to town with neck injury and a concussion I think it would be a great idea to knock him around LEGALLY when he doesn't have the ball. With the broncos facing another tilt with the physical chiefs, they might limit his snaps or pull him completely in favor of having him ready for their divisional matchup next week. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

The PittPatriot (and family) do not like this plan. We love Wes and would rather have him sit out then get further brain damage, you know?:D

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 254
Probably not a bad idea if they don't flag us. Arrington can hit fairly well and has shown he can play the slot very well. Hope Wes's injury doesn't linger. Neck and head injuries are serious ****. Although he's a traitor he's not a bad guy. Same plan for peyton as long as you can get away with it as well. Shame Polian took most of the physicality out of the game.

I've said that since he was signed by the Broncos. The Pats need to hit him early and often. Rough him up a bit even when he doesn't have the ball. When he goes over the middle, I hope one of our safeties or LB's is in a position to take his head off. Give him the Eric Smith/Ryan Clark treatment and take him out of the game.

I said this yesterday.
I don't think though that it's about beating him up but about disrupting the timing of the offense.
I would flex the lb on welkers side out to jam him. Not to cover him but to jam him and hold him up at the line then go to whatever coverage assignment he has. The short pass is the crux of Denver's offense. Timing is the key. This disrupts it and also reinforces against the wr screen that a lot of their big plays come from.

;) I see what you did there.

Eh, I'll make no bones about wanting to see him get knocked out of the game. I love everything that the guy did for us, but he's on the other side of the field now and is a major, major cog in that offense.

The games against the Jets in 2010 (the first one) and the Steelers in 2008, both of them were in a position to deliver hellacious shots. In the case of the Jets game, Welker was never the same player afterward and the Jets ended up beating us. For me, it would start with disrupting his timing. Arrington or a LB flexed out needs to jam him at the LOS and throw off his timing as much as possible. If Gregory, McCourty, Harmon, or a LB can get in position to deliver a kill shot over the middle, I would love to see that too.

not too many corners simply line up on welker and win that matchup. You have to set the tone by knocking him around Legally. If he plays and hurts himself that would be his fault since he and the medical staff made an eager decision to play when he's clearly hurting. with the pick plays the broncos run, knocking welker down would allow chandler and ninkovich to get to happy feet since welker is usually the first look on those pick plays.

Hit em all hard. Lets use a little home cookin' to our advantage this time around.

hit welker in the head, hit manning in the ankles

not too many corners simply line up on welker and win that matchup. You have to set the tone by knocking him around Legally. If he plays and hurts himself that would be his fault since he and the medical staff made an eager decision to play when he's clearly hurting. with the pick plays the broncos run, knocking welker down would allow chandler and ninkovich to get to happy feet since welker is usually the first look on those pick plays.

KC didn't get to Manning at all last week. I think the best way to beat him is keep him on the bench. I want to see four fourteen minute drives ending in touchdowns. If our defense can't hold off Manning for four minutes, then it's wait 'til next year time.

You're advocating questionable hits. Questionable hits against the other team are not only cheap but they also invite questionable hits against our guys.

You're advocating questionable hits. Questionable hits against the other team are not only cheap but they also invite questionable hits against our guys.

those questionable hits happen whether you contribute to them or not

nothing questionable about a hard tackle. do this to welker, I doubt he will continue

vince-wilfork-donald-jones.gif

those questionable hits happen whether you contribute to them or not

nothing questionable about a hard tackle. do this to welker, I doubt he will continue

vince-wilfork-donald-jones.gif

Uh huh...

Advocating a head shot against Welker and an ankle hit on Manning (who is nursing an injured ankle) is questionable. There was nothing wrong with Wilfork's hit in that GIF, which is what I was advocating in my post.

Uh huh...
Advocating a head shot against Welker and an ankle hit on Manning (who is nursing an injured ankle) is questionable. There was nothing wrong with Wilfork's hit in that GIF, which is what I was advocating in my post.

oh jeezus, get a grip

there's nothing questionable about focusing on a weakness if it doesn't break the rules. its a tough sport, if someone loses mobility, you go after it

Then comes the penalty flag and another week of the forum going ape **** over another call

ok........so players don't get hit in the head legally?

half the concussions in this league happen when a WR goes down quick, a DB goes over him and a knee catches the head.......oooops

oh jeezus, get a grip

there's nothing questionable about focusing on a weakness if it doesn't break the rules. its a tough sport, if someone loses mobility, you go after it

That's not what you were advocating, though. You were talking about specifically targetting those areas on both players. Those areas just so happen to be areas where both are nursing injuries. That's a scumbag move.

That's not what you were advocating, though. You were talking about specifically targetting those areas on both players. Those areas just so happen to be areas where both are nursing injuries. That's a scumbag move.

LOL......you don't think that happens?

if you put an injured player out there, further injury is YOUR responsibility, not the opponents. I made no mention of illegal hits and there are many ways to do both without breaking any rules.....what you suggest would land every QB on the injury report as a sign to not hit them......in case you haven't noticed, this is football. if your QB is fragile, its your problem.

I hope they give Welker the business at the LOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes