PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Haden 4.6 in 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren94

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know I don't put much stock in the 40 but we shall see if he may fall as well. I wouldn't mind selecting a CB in the first round. Jackson from Alabama had a nice 40 time. love this time of year.

Haden looked good in drills, though. He's got quick feet and great instincts. I think he's still the first corner off the board. Jackson really looked smooth in drills. I was pretty darn impressed. I know Mayo is really high on him (dang, where's he been? I miss talking football with the guy), and after watching his drills I think he's gonna be good. Pro Draft Party has some nice highlights/lowlights: YouTube - CB K areem J ackson Highlights/Lowlights 2009 A labama

I know I don't put much stock in the 40 but we shall see if he may fall as well. I wouldn't mind selecting a CB in the first round. Jackson from Alabama had a nice 40 time. love this time of year.
I had him falling to the middle of the first round after working out that trade mock in the wee hours of the morning. I don't think his track speed is going to hurt him that much.

Kyle Wilson is doing the dance of joy

If one can blanket SEC receivers the way Haden has the last couple of years, a bad 40 time won't hurt much, if at all. If he's not the first CB off the board, somebody needs to be fired.

Some of these guys overtrain leading up to these things. Not a biggie.

Something to think about:

Malcolm Jenkins was considered by many a Top 10 or even Top 5 pick but he ran a 4.53 and a 4.55 at the combine last year and dropped to #14.

I'm not saying that the same will happen with Haden but if he slips to a similar range, would you want to trade up to take him?

If one can blanket SEC receivers the way Haden has the last couple of years, a bad 40 time won't hurt much, if at all. If he's not the first CB off the board, somebody needs to be fired.

Yeah, but if he falls out of the top 10, I'd be on the phone trying to get him.

I don't know this is very concerning IMO. Guys he's been compared to like Jammer and Leon Hall both ran a 4.42 and 4.38 in the combine. I know he's good at jamming guys at the line and he seemingly had a pretty good 09 campaign, but were his deficiencies masked a little by the good pass rush of Florida with Dunlap and Cunningham? I don't know, but I found this clip of him in 08 vs projected 2nd round pick WR Brandon Lafell. He looks god awful in some of these clips. I wish I had watched him more closely during the season. I think he's going to have trouble staying with NFL WR in and out of their breaks.

YouTube - Haden vs Lafell 08

Last edited:
Something to think about:

Malcolm Jenkins was considered by many a Top 10 or even Top 5 pick but he ran a 4.53 and a 4.55 at the combine last year and dropped to #14.

I'm not saying that the same will happen with Haden but if he slips to a similar range, would you want to trade up to take him?

If he and McClain (my favorite prospect) fell out of the top 10 Id pick Haden over him. This kid is going to be a stud forget 40 times, I watched him shut down AJ Green and Julio Jones. This kid will be a shutdown corner for somebody.

If he and McClain (my favorite prospect) fell out of the top 10 Id pick Haden over him. This kid is going to be a stud forget 40 times, I watched him shut down AJ Green and Julio Jones. This kid will be a shutdown corner for somebody.

Please list the great cover corners that run a 4.6 40. This is a huge red flag IMO. Some positions 40 time is overrated - cornerback ain't one of em.

Things not make you go Hmmmm... Was 4.60 his official 40 time?

Please list the great cover corners that run a 4.6 40. This is a huge red flag IMO. Some positions 40 time is overrated - cornerback ain't one of em.

He ran a 4.57, I know hes faster than that and Im going to wait until Florida's pro day. The kid doesn't get burned, did you watch him play this last season or the season before that? Taylor Mays ran a 4.43, do you think that makes him able to cover? Jenkins ran a 4.53 last year and he played very well this last season. This is where the combine becomes a problem, when you forget about actual tape and look at a 40 time and say that a guy cant be a cover corner because of it. He has every single tool that a cover corner has.

Derick Straight comes to mind.. SIrius was talking about how Straight had great college stats and couldn't make the adjustment in the pros.. HIs style of play and lack of speed caused him issues..

What combine time did Revis run?

I'm pretty sure Assante Samuel ran in the mid 4.6s.

Asante - 4.49
Revis - 4.38

If Haden can improve at his Pro-Day it may not matter, but if that's his top end he'll probably be a Free Safety.

Asante - 4.49
Revis - 4.38

If Haden can improve at his Pro-Day it may not matter, but if that's his top end he'll probably be a Free Safety.

And then you have to trust the 40 times on pro day. Even at the combine, it's all done by hand held watches. To compare against true electronic times, you'd have to add .15 to each 40.

I'm pretty sure Assante Samuel ran in the mid 4.6s.

Then again, Asante isn't a shutdown corner. He's a playmaker. He breaks on the ball, not on the receiver, so his speed is mitigated somewhat.

And then you have to trust the 40 times on pro day. Even at the combine, it's all done by hand held watches. To compare against true electronic times, you'd have to add .15 to each 40.
I don't have to trust anything from his Pro-Day, I'm very much not worried about losing my job over recommending him. :snob:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST