PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because we manage the cap better thanmost and usually keep the players we want to and let go the players on the downhill side.

Teams that mismanage the cap and are forced to purge some good players in their prime don't make for good stories.

Man bites dog.

I would challenge anyone to come up with a player we wanted in their prime we were forced to cut without adequate compensation due to cap mismanagement. I can't think of one. Welker? Seymour drew a 1st that was likely to be higher than we actually got, so a good gamble, and he's retired.

This is an excellent point, especially when you consider the success of the team.
If the entire 03-04 team became FAs at once it would have taken double the cap to sign them all.

Per Ian Rapoport, Gronk's surgery is Thursday, 1/9 with Dr. Andrews.

Good luck big guy.

tumblr_mnlfe1Ii1I1qclcbeo1_r2_500.jpg

Great for Gronk but TE is still on the Draft menue boys and I want one early on.

Great for Gronk but TE is still on the Draft menue boys and I want one early on.
Indeed. If Gronk can come back and contribute to his full capability again, it's just gravy to me at this point. I think the Patriots need to get another TE (or two) as Gronk has shown now to be unreliable to last a whole season.

And here's Gronk getting pushed around in a wheelchair by Ridley:

Instagram
This tweet gives a great insight into Ridley's character. Usually its the charity that thanks the players for coming. Here Ridley is thanking the Hospital for ALLOWING them to come and help. Only a guy who really "gets it" would make that distinction. Makes me like Ridley even more.

Indeed. If Gronk can come back and contribute to his full capability again, it's just gravy to me at this point. I think the Patriots need to get another TE (or two) as Gronk has shown now to be unreliable to last a whole season.

I like the idea, give Brady his weapons, draft a TE and maybe sign a FA, if Gronk came back stronger than ever, than we're better than good.

I think Scott Chandler really fits well.

I'm like the idea, give Brady his weapons, draft a TE and maybe sign a FA, if Gronk came back stronger than ever, than we're better than good.

I think Scott Chandler really fits well.

The guys a stiff. If we're just looking for height there's a ton of tall TEs with decent moves. Most of them can't get open though

I know this might sound odd but I hope the resign Matthew Mulligan, I like him as a blocker he is like having a 6th offensive lineman on the field.

Ideally I would like to see the depth be:

1. Rob Gronkowski
2. Eric Ebron (Flex)
3. Michael Hoomanawanui
4. Matthew Mulligan (Blocker)

I would love to have a Scott Chandler instead of Hoomanawanui but I don’t know if he is worth the spend. Personally I think Ebron will make Hernandez look like Daniel Fells.

I think TE needs to be an offseason priority but I would perfer interior linemen both Defensive and offensive early in the draft. Plus I think the TE needs to be a vet that we can count on early in the season. If Gronk is not ready week one can we count on the rookie that soon? We need a starting caliber vet TE to pair with Gronk and I would still be ok with a rookie but if you assume Gronk will be back and you get the Vet starter it would be overkill to draft one high as well though with the way this year went overkill might be a good idea.

My preference would probably be the vet starter and a 3rd round TE with a DT and guard or center already picked.

Also I think the priority of the TE position will be greatly effected by what they think of the 3 rookie WRs moving forward and if they can get Edelman back too. If they feel like at least one of the 3 rooks can be a star in this league and they resign Edelman it will lessen the need for 2 top line TEs.

IMO alot of this offseason will be determined by what kind of ceiling they put on the 3 rooks. Lets assume they think all 3 rooks will be a focal point of the offense next year and all 3 have high ceilings then they could afford to wait on Gronk with a marginal TE. But on the flip if they dont think any of three have star capabilities then they will likely need another WR and that 2nd TE (if not a TE1).

My opinion of 3 rooks is that at least 2 of 3 have shown that they belong in the league and I personally think they all have high ceilings but to determine now or in febuary wether they can be focal points of our offense next year is a real important decision that will determine the direction of the offseason IMO. If you think they can be then the only real need on Offense is at OL but if you think they cant then WR and/or TE become that much more important.

I can't see any upside on Hooman, I think we should really move on and use his money as part of the investment on a better asset.

The WR corps will improve for sure but as we have seen this season, maybe the deep throws is not really Brady's best skill. We should keep working the middle of the field and then using the long pass to mess up secondaries.

I was wondering why folks said he wouldn't be ready for the start of 2014 in the first place. Lindsey Von had a Tibial Plateau Fracture, means the top of your tibia is broken and the acl usually get trashed, and she's back on ski's 8 months later. I had a TPF, see avatar and was back riding dirt bikes in 5 months (my acl tore off the bone). Point is acl surgery isn't terrible these days, a guy like Andrews will have him back running in 5 months.

Everyone worries about infection but that's a crap shoot, I had one first time for surgery but second time nothing so you just don't know. I think they will follow certain protocols for this surgery, testing for mrsa prior to surgery, pre-surgery antibiotics etc., probably lovenox shots after surgery for a couple weeks. I bet gronk is fine.

I'm not a pro athlete but after 5 major surgeries in 3 years I have a pretty good idea on this stuff, dirt bikes are fun but painful sometimes :)

FYI, Vonn is out of the Olympics

The concern isn't "can he play" the concern is "how recovered will he be" by the start of next season.

My preference would probably be the vet starter and a 3rd round TE with a DT and guard or center already picked..

This is my preference as well, especially in regards to bringing in a vet TE. After that I say DL, G/C, TE in the draft in that order, but I'm willing to mix those up based on BPA. If there's a great TE available towards the end of the 1st round and depth at DL/OL the rest of the way, I'm okay with them adding that piece.

I know this might sound odd but I hope the resign Matthew Mulligan, I like him as a blocker he is like having a 6th offensive lineman on the field.

1. Rob Gronkowski
2. Eric Ebron (Flex)
3. Michael Hoomanawanui

I would love to have a Scott Chandler instead of Hoomanawanui but I don’t know if he is worth the spend. Personally I think Ebron will make Hernandez look like Daniel Fells.

Richard Rogers of Cal would be a good value pick for a flex

1. Rob Gronkowski
2. Eric Ebron (Flex)
3. Michael Hoomanawanui

Do you see Ebron being available when the Pats pick? If he's still on the board, then I'd love to see them take him, but I doubt he will be.

FYI, Vonn is out of the Olympics

The concern isn't "can he play" the concern is "how recovered will he be" by the start of next season.

she got injured again, not from same injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday